Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Acutane and Sun Damaged Skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SoonerFan80

Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hello to all.

For starters, I'll give you all a little background on my skin dilemma. I am a 25 year old male who has suffered from sun damaged skin, specifically on the end of my nose, for nearly 10 years.

When I was about 17, after having used a variety of acne products, I was prescribed Acutane by my dermatologist. This did wonders in clearing my skin up. But as many know, the side effect of this medication was that it dried my skin very much and made my skin extra sensitive to the sun.

Up to this point, I never really had to worry about wearing sun screen while spending time outdoors. So, I did not take my Dermatologist's advice to wear sunscreen as long as I was on Acutane and spending time outside.

And after a few rounds of golf during the summer, the damage was done. Ever since then, the end of my nose is very red and the top layer is virtually gone. The texture is rough, and the end of my nose sweats very easily when I eat spicy foods and when the temperature is elevated.

I am hoping that there is some sort of Over the Counter medication that can at least help me somewhat with my problem. I have heard that topical retinoids and/or Vitamin A are what I need to focus on. Will this help with the redness and rejuvinate skin growth? I realize prescription strength would be stronger, but there has to be some sort of Over the Counter medication that could be better than nothing.

Can someone PLEASE help me? I grow more and more tired each day with the way my nose looks.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
Oh dear, Im sorry you feel bad. Im not a doctor but my advice would be to get some great SS that you will wear EVERYDAY! Thats most important IMHO. I think if you do that you will see a slow but steady difference in your nose. I would also go and see a derm to make sure there is no cancer or anything, just to be on the safe side. Hopefully some one else will jump in with some more advice. HTH! Very Happy

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
Sunscreen is SO important. The best one I know is by Vivier then Bio2 something haha. Your derm might give you some Retin A creme or Vitamin C. Obagi is great for sun damage.
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:06 am      Reply with quote
That sounds terrible, vitmain C serums have done wonders for my mother's very sun damaged skin.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:46 am      Reply with quote
Having been stuck with a nose that has similar damage to yours after a heavy accutane dose 25 years ago, I do feel your pain. After seeing several differant derms, who always prescribed a cortisone cream for a limited amount of use, I also daily slather on vaseline on the tip at night. Sunscreen is a must, as is gentle cleansers and no exfoliants on the tip for me. It doesn't ever actually thicken back up, it will always be a more delicate area. Ipl's help the vascular/redness part, but I repeat, SUNSCEEN IS A MUST. Hope that helps some.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:23 am      Reply with quote
check out http://www.remergentskin.com/. the DNA Repair along with some of their other products (maybe Barrier?) should help. you can email them with your problem and also request samples. and most definitely start wearing a high level sunscreen!!!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:12 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |