Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Why does everyone hate MAC?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MarciaNZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:37 am      Reply with quote
Kia ora Smile
I have just starting using MAC makeup (maybe 5 months). But reading a few post have me concerned - alot of negative vibes:(
Everything i have heard in New Zealand is how good it is. The makeup i use it light and has SPF 15 (good for changeable weather). I have found most New Zealanders love the natural look.
Are some of you girls using a to heavier foundation? That can cause break outs.

And i indeed know about acne and i had to see a dermatologist to clear mine up. MAC has not caused a single break out. So i am a huge fan.
But i am open to see what you all think.
IS MAC make up good or bad for our skin:?:
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi Marcia,
I don't use MAC skincare products or foundations but I love their other makeup. I think their Moisturising foundation is supposed to be very good and I know a lot of people on here like the MAC Concealer (the Moisture one).
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:51 am      Reply with quote
I am certainly not an expert but I've recently purchased 3 different makeup primers & the MAC has been my favourite. I've also bought bunches of lipsticks/glosses lately & the MAC lip gloss that plumps has been my favourite as well. Same scenario with lip primers - the MAC came out on top for me. So I can see my trying new things from them in the future Smile
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi Marcia,

I use MAC make-up, primer and brushes and have good things to say about it. I think that the negative vibes come from the philosophy behind the company - it started as a small mom-and-pap (well pap-and-pap) and ended up being bought out by the Estee Lauder empire which buys anything l'Oreal hasn't bought yet! But, they are still good products.

CAT.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:27 am      Reply with quote
My sister-in-law is a MAC executive and I get eyeshadows, lipglosses, lipsticks per grattis and I love them. Haven't tried anything other than the concealor which was a little crepey on me, but other than that, all my son's girlfriends love all Mac stuff.

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:25 am      Reply with quote
I am new to this forum and most definitly new to MAC products. So far I like the products. I have tried several primers for my makeup and I really like MAC's primer. They have a wonderful selection of color in their lip and eye line. Foundation is a very personal choice and I feel if the color, texture and form work for you then use it and enjoy. I have tried both the Studio Fix and Studio Tech but I still go back to my GloMineral compact makeup.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:44 am      Reply with quote
I think I'm the only woman on this forum who has never used a MAC product. Lo, I have never even set eyes on a MAC product. I am a tragic, tragic girl... Laughing
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:05 am      Reply with quote
I like MAC for everything except foundation and mascara. The latter two are no go's for me.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
milodomi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:59 am      Reply with quote
MAC has a great selection for colours but their eyeshadows don't have a lot of pigments..don't know how to explain but comparing MAC'S eyeshadow to makeup forever's eyeshadow, u can probably tell the difference
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
I love MAC. Especially the eye shadows, bronzers, loose pigments, and lip products.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
I think I'm the only woman on this forum who has never used a MAC product. Lo, I have never even set eyes on a MAC product. I am a tragic, tragic girl... Laughing

We'll get you hooked yet.
Razz
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
Violetanne, you're not alone! I've never used a MAC product either! - I have seen one, though. Very Happy
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
Tosca wrote:
Violetanne, you're not alone! I've never used a MAC product either! - I have seen one, though. Very Happy

Violetanne, I'm in the same boat as you! I've seen them online...if that counts,lol. But I've never used one. So Tosca, your a step ahead of both of us, Wink .

What I've heard about MAC is that it's stage makeup, meaning its quite heavy and doesn't let your skin breathe. However, I don't know how true that is, so anyone feel free to correct me Very Happy .
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
That's the impression I have, girldelvov. I've always thought it was a very heavy makeup too. Also, I've always heard a lot about their eyeshadows, and I don't wear eyeshadow except maybe once every three or four months. I'm a mascara junkie. I hooked on MMU now, so I doubt I'll ever get around to trying it.
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Tosca wrote:
That's the impression I have, girldelvov. I've always thought it was a very heavy makeup too. Also, I've always heard a lot about their eyeshadows, and I don't wear eyeshadow except maybe once every three or four months. I'm a mascara junkie. I hooked on MMU now, so I doubt I'll ever get around to trying it.

I don't wear eyeshadow much either. However, I keep hearing raves upon raves for MAC's eyeshadow, so I don't know. And yes, I'm a mascara junkie as well.... Shhh I may try it sometime soon, if I figure out what kind to try (suggestions welcome...lol).
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
I have the MAC Studio Fix and the Studio Finish Concealer SPF35. I love them both.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
I tried their studio fix and found it too thick and quite dry. The power gathers in the lines under my eyes - big NO NO.

I liked their tint though as I could mix it with my foundation to get the colour I wanted - I could go for a more tan look during summer and didn't have to buy another foundation.

Didn't like their mascara though. I got panda eyes with them.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
Tosca wrote:

Well, I've used ONE. I have one of their eye shadows. I bought it after having a makeup artist do my makeup for a show I co-hosted (don't ask it was for work and TOTALLY lame! Laughing ). Anyway, I've never even been interested in trying their makeup really. I walk by their counters and stores often but to me it all just seems so overpriced, as for just about any other dept store makeup. I don't see why it's worth paying 2-3x as much as what you can get in drugstores. Sure there are cheap products there, but there are also some pretty great ones too and for the cost I can afford to try them all! Laughing

Besides half of the stuff I've bought from dept stores I thought I *loved* until I got it home and saw how it applied in real lighting. Unfortunately, I don't think there is one dept store product that I've bought that I haven't been disappointed in.
MarciaNZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="RuthMarion"]I am certainly not an expert but I've recently purchased 3 different makeup primers & the MAC has been my favourite.

Hi Ruth what are makeup primers? I have never heard of them. I guess you use it before you apply your makeup. Does it make it easier for you to apply foundation?

Any help is great Very Happy
MarciaNZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
I think I'm the only woman on this forum who has never used a MAC product. Lo, I have never even set eyes on a MAC product. I am a tragic, tragic girl... Laughing[/quote]

Hi Violetanne,
don't worry babe i just saw MAC for the first time when i was on holiday in auckland. All my rural gfs never ever heard of it
Smile
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
I actually really like most MAC products. I think my fav are the eyeshadows ... on me they seem fairly pigmented and for the most part, seem to stay put. I love the colour choice too! I also like their lipsticks (especially the lustre), their blushes and eyeliners. I just bought my first Lipglass tonight which seems pretty nice too. I didn't love their mascara (smudged on me), not sure about their foundation and their concealers seem to cake on me (except the Studio Touch Up Stick concealer which I do like). Smile
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
That's often the case with me, TAMgirl99. I've had some bad experiences with other people talking me into makeup. I have made some good department store purchases, but I usually like to purchase from the safety of my own computer where there's no one weilding a make-up brush. If there's something specific I want to sample, I'll go the the counter armed with the exact name and color. I wear makeup, but I'm pretty natural and conservative, except for the mascara * spam alert *. I'm gonna get help for that... Wink
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
i love MAC eyeshadows and lip colors and some of their brushes. However, their foundations and concealers seem a little too heavy and not so great for the skin. MAC as a makeup company is great, but it seems to only cover and colorize instead of caring for your skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
i too, use MAC eye makeup but i will not use their skincare or foundation. like poofbabypenguin says, i too have always thought of MAC as more of a makeup cosmetics company rather then a skin care company, so i would rather use other brands that focus more on the skin.

i do love the eye color selection MAC has, but i don't think their eyeshadows are superior than many other brands, in terms of being finely milled.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:10 am      Reply with quote
I really like the MAC pigments , also the lipglosses. The foundations did not work for me though.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |