Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)
Scalp Itch??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
moosette
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, just found this site and its been consuming my time the past few days, I just love it, but my bank account doesn't (lol)! I was wondering if someone could recommend a shampoo that would help my scalp, I've tried everything under the sun, head and shoulders, tea tree stuff from the health food store, neutregena tar stuff that smells awful and makes my hair very dry...my scalp has been very itchy for sometime and I'm hoping to find a something that won't dry my scalp and my hair! Thanks
Less Patchy
5% products discount

Sun May 09, 2004 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
I suggest you see a doctor as you may have a fungal scalp infection, as I do. My scalp occasionally itched after a new hair product, but nothing lasting. Within the past 2 months it started itching more so I used a dandruff shampoo (a sample from ProActiv) even though I couldn't see dandruff as I assumed it would help my scalp. It made it worse and I was burning and itching. I went to a health food store and was told to massage aloe very gel into my scalp, and rinse with apple cider vinegar when I washed my hair. The aloe vera gel temporarily eased the burning. I didn't use the ACV because I was afraid it would lighten my hair. My esthetician gave me a sample of Nioxin (sp?) shampoo and conditioner, which my hair loved but scalp didn't. So I finally went to the doctor and was told I have a fungal infection. I thought the itching may be from peri-menopause, or a sudden allergy to my salon's hair dye (I get my roots done every 5 to 6 weeks), or a combination. The doctor didn't think so and said fungal infections are "opportunistic", whatever that means. She prescribed a scalp lotion (Ectosone) to use three times a day, and told me to use either over the counter Nizoral or Polytar shampoo till it clears up. (BTW Polytar shampoo comes in two versions. The more expensive one smells much better) My scalp has improved but hasn't completely recovered yet (it's been 6 days). The lotion is watery, and I've gone through two bottles already as my entire scalp is affected.

You might want to get checked out so you use the most effective product.
Ling
5% products discount

Sun May 09, 2004 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi..I used to have problem with that as well ( scalp itches .. )and it isn't due to dandruff..I guess more towards the imbalance of the scalp . Had tried NIOXIN ( didn't help) and the Neutrogena tar stuff you mentioned ( once a while) but the problem was still there till I switches to JF LAZARTIQUE. I wash my hair everyday and the SA recommended the Frequent use shampoo for my hair. If your scalp is very oily then the MARINE shampoo alternating with the Frequent use shampoo on some days. My scalp isn't as oily ( oileir on the top part though) with normal hair and I am using the Frequent use shampoo on most days ( 3-4 days per week) and the LOCCITANE Olive shampoo ( gentle shampoo) on days whenever I need a little gentler cleansing. So instead of using the JF everyday, you can try to alternate that with another gentler hydrating shampoo on some days ( unless your scalp is very oily then the MARINE and the FREQUENT seems like a good combo). I still use a conditioner right after every shampoos.
Less Patchy
5% products discount

Mon May 10, 2004 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the scoop, Ling.

I went back to the clinic today and saw another doctor as my scalp is still itchy, and I'm on my third bottle of stuff in less than one week. She said one bottle should last 6 weeks!!!! I can't see how. She checked my scalp and said it looked healthy but I may have over-stimulated it with the steroid lotion (used three times a day), and with Polytar shampoo (only used twice so far). She said Polytar shampoo is only for really gross dandruff and I don't have any dandruff. She recommended I stop both immediately, and take 1 Benadryl (allergy tablet) at night to stop itching and as a nice side effect, it might help my allergies, and maximum once a week wash my hair with Nizoral (a more gentle shampoo), and use my regular regular shampoo/conditioner the other times. She thought it was possible my scalp problem is from a new hairdresser putting dye very generously on my scalp/roots, whereas my former one ( Sad who retired) was very careful to paint my roots so my scalp never felt wet. Funny, how two doctors in the same clinic can give such different opinions. The one I saw today seems more plausible.
Skin Addict
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 11, 2004 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I've had the same problem and found that I was allergic to the different preservatives that make the shampoos get all foamy. It was almost like cradle cap in babies in that just the top of my scalp was irritated and itchy, sometimes flakey and painful. My scalp would get oily and my ends would be dry (really attractive). I've since switched to all natural ones made from this woman that sells at different farmers markets that are preservative free and use a neutragena leave in conditioner/moisturizer afterwards and haven't had problems. Sometimes we just have to go back to basics!
Less Patchy
5% products discount

Tue May 25, 2004 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't have a fungal infection after all. I've developed sensitivity to the products my salon uses to colour my roots.
I mentioned it to my new hairdresser at my last appointment (4 days ago). Instead of mixing the formula with 20% peroxide she used 10%, and used a different shampoo and conditioner. My scalp started to itch after 10 minutes with the dye (it was on approx 35 minutes total) but I'm not sure if it was because I was thinking about it. It was bearable but 12 hours later my scalp started to itch/burn and was red so I generously applied aloe vera gel. The next morning I put more on first thing, then twice during the day and just before going to bed. The next day was itchy/burning so I rinsed my hair with cool water and generously used aloe again. My scalp feels irritated but a little better today. I'll wash my hair with gentle water based shampoo and conditioner and cross my fingers.
The hairdresser says this happens to a lot of people - NOT ANYONE I KNOW.
anais2003
5% products discount

Thu May 27, 2004 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
it really work for me it is dry the reason why it is itching.

Anis
Less Patchy
5% products discount

Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
Turns out I'm allergic to the dye my hairdresser has been using for 3.1/2 years. My new hairdresser tried a different brand last time and (knock wood) it's been 3 weeks and not an itch. What a relief.
Arbonne19
5% products discount

Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Itchy scalp, this is not fun. I have something that can help you, and you will not waste your money, it has a 45 day money-back guarantee. Arbonne carries a anti-flake shampoo that is all natural that will help dry, flaky scalp conditions. please e-mail hkytwn979802@aol.com for more information.
Wink
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |