Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Dermatologica Daily Microexfoliant makes me peel & more
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BigHead
5% products discount

Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all,

Because of all the good reviews on this board raving for Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant, I finally bought a bottle and tried it out.

Some background info: My skin has lot of acnes, mainly whiteheads. I have been seeking help from dermalogist for the last couple of year. However, so far, my skin is not cleared yet, but has been improved compared to before.

My daily regime is:
Morning: DCL beta hydroxy cleanser, topical solution, DDF oil-free moisturizer, DDF Organic Sunblock.

Night: Obagi foaming cleanser, Obagi Toner, Obagi Clear (use Blender and retin-A only twice a week)

I have started using my new bottle of Dermalogica Daily Microexfoliant 3 days ago. I use it once at night after using the Obagi cleanser. In these 3 days, i don't use Blender and Retin-A as i don't want to make it too harsh for my skin.

The result is: the day following the first use, my skin starts peeling. On the second day, i found more red pimples (not the same as my usual whiteheads).

Will the red pimples a temporary purging process? I remember a long time ago, i tried Murad's products for combating with acne. I could never get over with the purging process and therefore changed to another line recommend by dermatologist.

Starting from tomorrow, I am going to try using the Daily Micro Exfoliant in the morning, not at night, to see whether my skin would get better. I suspect that I can't use anything else while using Obagi at night.

Everyone loves Daily Microexfoliant. Why it doesn't work for me? Is it because of the product not working for me, or the way i am using it is not right????

The DCL Beta Hydroxy cleanser i use in the morning has exfoliating ingredient already. Will it be too agressive to use it along with Dermatologica Daily Microexfoliant???

Please help.
alilicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
BigHead,
In my honest opinion the stuff you are using is way too harsh for your skin. I went through the same ordeal with my skin... I tried everything including prescriptions, dermatologists and every natural and synthetic acne remedy on the market. It was only when I stopped using everything but a non foaming cleanser, gentle toner and an oil-free moisturizer that I cleared up.
I used to use the entire Dermalogica line and really wanted to love the Microfoliant, but it continuously tore my skin up and left it red, irritated and broken-out. I know there are so many on here who love it, but you need to take in account your skin type because we can't all tolerate the same products.
I hope this helps you... if you have any questions, please let me know. I would love to spare even just one person from acne if I can. Smile
Ali

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
I use the daily microfoliant on my chect and neck every couple of days. It was way too harsh for my face.

Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have normal skin and Microfoliant is one of my favourite exfoliants. I haven't had any problems with it drying me out, though I have had that feedback from some others. I think that in combination with everything else you are using, it's simply just too drying for you. I'd suggest that you talk to your derm about incorporating it and potentially dropping something else that you are currently using.
angel06
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:45 am      Reply with quote
I have a dry skin and had tried a sample of this, this is one of the exfoliant that also really dried out my skin. Was so worried after using it, thought it damage my skin. Thanks for the valmont moisturizer it helps as it helps hydrating it.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
If Microfoliant is a bit drying for some of you, you can try mixing it with your toner, I find that lessens the drying effects of it a bit. But of course that will also depend on the type of toner you use.
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:11 am      Reply with quote
I had a sample only, so i cannot report results after regular use. i loved the sample that much that i'm considering to order the regular size. my skin is rather on the dryish side and i definitely needed something more rich afterwards but my skin was nice and smooth (specially the morning after). it wasn't too harsh for me but my skin is used to exfols generally.
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi!

I would suggest that you follow up your use of the microfoliant with a gentle exfoliant like the Ice Elements 2 minute miracle exfoliating gel.

I am not an expert, but you said that your skin is improving and I think that if you add a gentle skin exfoliant that hydrates, like the product that I mentioned, that it will get rid of the stuff that your other product is "pulling up" so that you do not have the pealing effect.

A lot of people get that pealing effect when using microdermabrasion before their skin gets better, so it isn't all that uncommon.

Good luck.
Bosoxy.

5% products discount

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Thank you all for your reply. You know what, it is SO TOUCHING to have someone here helping out while I am so depressed with my skin.

Over the last weekend, I didn't use Daily Microexfoliant at night, but in the morning so that it won't work together with my Obagi products.

The peeling effect has slowed down a lot, but my skin is a little red than normal. All of you are right. The Daily Microexfoliant is definitely dries me out. Therefore, i have added the Cellex-C Hydra B-5 Complex once (not everyday basis as i only have a small travel size) in my morning routine.

A lot of people comments that acne skin needs A LOT of exfoliation to get it clear (and this is what I have heard from my derm as well). However, is there a limit of exfoliation? What would happen if I keep exfoliating? (I assume that as long as my skin is not clear, I should ADD IN more exfoliation in my routine).

Alilicious, what are u using to get rid of your acne skin? Six years ago, I had an experience to have a derm in Hong Kong (not the same derm who recommend me to add exfoliation and use Obagi) to see my face. He recommends me to use SUPER gentle (and also very cheap drug-store brand) products for my skin. I tried that for a while and I immediately feel my pores got stuck and not cleaned thoroughly. Starting from that on, I use whatever available in the market that specify it has the ingredient to combat acne. So far, my skin is still not clear yet.

My own feeling is: no matter what I use, my skin is like that. And I have invested my $ in buying expensive skin care products to buy "a hope" for myself. Brand name doesn't warrant anything. But, if an expensive skin care product has its ability to surrive/its clientale, I feel that it must contain something GOOD inside the bottle to make people buying it...

Thank you all for your reply and i really appreciate that. Hope hearing from u gals soon.
alilicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi BigHead,
I have been using Mario Badescu:
Enzyme Cleansing Gel (non foaming), Glycolic Cleansing Lotion (a gentle toner) and Control Cream which is a very thick oil-free cream that is light blue in color. It does not feel heavy at all and is made to control irritation and redness. I can't be without it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
hey i tried a sample of it but wasn't too impressed..i have comb skin but i didn't feel that it did exfoliant my face and left my skin quite dry as well..
if u want a good exfoliant, i would recomment the one by valmont..one lasts for quite sometime, in fact mine lasted for almost 18 mths!!
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
Bighead: I have very acne-prone skin in which I have yet to find the right products for but since I've discovered EDS my overall skin IS much better apart from the acne. I need a lot of exfoliation as dead skin can easily build up when my acne dries out which may cause more acne in the same area. For me I have yet to find my limit in exfoliation and I do A LOT of it. But my skin isn't sensitive, and if yours is you might need to reconsider your whole regime if you want to add extra exfoliants into it.

Your beta-hydroxy cleanser should exfoliate already, I think it's too much if you use daily exfoliators 2x daily. Whether or not you have enough exfoliation depends on how your skin reacts to it. For me, if I stop using a daily exfoliating claenser I start to notice increased clogged pores regardless of what kind of cleanser I use in place of it so I know that exfoliation is crucial to my regime. Also just because products are deemed to be beneficial to acne sometimes they may not be. alilicious had good luck using MB, but I've disliked almost every MB product I've sampled except for MAYBE the drying mask. I also cannot use any cleansers deemed for acneic skin because they dry me out big time.

Basically if your current regime isn't working that well for you, you should reconsider which products you'd like to keep and which you'd like to change. I have the same feeling you do because I know my acne is more or less hormonal because even if I rarely break out my skin wreaks havoc whenever I get my "monthly friend", then it just takes a really long time and horrible skin before it heals.

If you're looking for an exfoliator for me my HG is my Green Apple Peel which I can use every other day and leave on for 30 min + with no problems. It is by far the best peel I've ever tried and I always love the way my skin feels after it. But this is in no way a daily exfoliator.
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Some people can exfoliate more than others.

The thing is not to overdo the harsher exfoliation methods, instead use your favorite harsher method as directed and then supplement with a gentle exfoliation method that is safe for daily use, like the one that I recommended previously.

Over exfoliating with harsh methods can do damage to the skin and sometimes it is not easily apparant until it has gone way overboard... It is easy to be tempted to do too much, especially when there are great results.

Take care.
Bosoxy.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |