Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Delicious green smoothies for the skin and more
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
Recently, I completely changed my not so good diet to a vegan diet super rich in antioxidants. I've been doing this since the begining of July, and my skin has been loving me for it ever since. I'm tired of hearing dermatologists tell me, or reading magazine articles on how nothing you eat affects your skin. That is such blatant misinformation! Fine, even if chocolate doesn't cause acne, we know that sugar is an oxidant, oxidants aren't good for anything, including your skin. I cut my breakout numbers way down after switching my diet (I'm only in my twenties, I used to have some pretty horrible acne). I stoped eating all refined carbs and I switched to mostly organic, which isn't that much more exspensive if you buy smart (and in bulk!). Even after I switched to organic unrefined food, I wanted more anti-oxidants. Then through google I discovered the amazing green smoothie! It's a smoothie that is 40% dark, leafy greens and 60% fruit. I use frozen fruit and spinach. My favorite combination is spinach, frozen blueberries and frozen strawberries. Ever since I've switched my diet I've had more energy, but it wasn't until August (when I started piling on the green smoothies) that I started getting a lot of compliments on my skin. I don't know if it's the green smoothies exactly, but what I do know is that this will help my body combat aging all over, inside and out. If it is the green smoothies I blame the chlorophyll and the beta carotene for my skin's nearly instant makeover. Chlorophyll is very cleansing, and beta carotene (and vitamin A) is great for acne and skin troubles. I hope you'll give green smoothies a try! They may sound kind of gross at first, but they are really divine. I would crave them even if they aren't super healthy and good to my skin!
-Dealated
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:00 am      Reply with quote
I have to say I'm with you on this one. I've long suspected that lifestyle factors such as diet have a much greater effect on skin than any of the expensive products I'm constantly applying.

Your smoothie recipe sounds interesting but maybe not for me personally. I love my spinach, blueberries and strawberries, just not together. Laughing Laughing
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:05 am      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:
I have to say I'm with you on this one. I've long suspected that lifestyle factors such as diet have a much greater effect on skin than any of the expensive products I'm constantly applying.

Your smoothie recipe sounds interesting but maybe not for me personally. I love my spinach, blueberries and strawberries, just not together. Laughing Laughing

Laughing I can't force myself to swallow spinach whole unfortunatly Embarassed
angel06
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:36 am      Reply with quote
dealated

ive been doing smoothie myself, its a combination of all berries and i believe that its really good for the skin, and im sure adding spinach on it will be way better. Ill sure start adding it on my smothie next. I cant wait:)
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:00 am      Reply with quote
That's great! Healthy eating certainly makes every organ healthy, and the skin is the largest of course. Diet has a major effect on skin. When I was disciplined and obsessed enough to eat super healthy before my skin completely cleared up and had a natural healthy glow, even tone and softness. I want to start eating healthier again and more raw foods.

I've tried green smoothies before but I didn't like all the thick fiber from the greens. Maybe I didn't use enough water, but I prefer to juice my greens. I want to start juicing again. I make smoothies with all berries, water and supplements like goji and camu camu powder, and Vega which is a protein/meal replacement powder with chlorella and maca. http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/vega-complete-whole-food-meal-replacement-mix.htm

I'll try the spinach addition though, I love spinach!

I try to eat as many high anti-oxidant foods as I can.
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:14 am      Reply with quote
cool i started doing the green smoothie a couple weeks ago! although i havent been doing it consistant enough to see great results in my complexion, it does give me energy and make me feel good all day! im aiming to make them everyday. how often do you drink them?
sissyp
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:17 am      Reply with quote
I used to use Greens Plus powder in my smoothies and loved it. I've gotten a bit lazy lately after having a baby but plan to get back into gear soon. The Greens Plus was great for energy and nutrients just added it to smoothies; strawberries, bananas, yogurt.... mmm, mmm.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
I have to agree, true beauty does come from the inside, in recent years I have been forced to eat healthier due to food alergies and I have noticed a huge improvement to my skin.
The saying 'you are what you eat' is definately true, my skin has never been clearer.
Your smoothie sounds delicious, I always enjoy spinach, watercress and strawberry salads in the summer.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
It's so funny that this is a topic right now! I have been doing green smoothies for my family for the past few weeks. I throw two huge handfuls of fresh spinach in with whatever I make. My kids think it's perfectly natural anyway to have green smoothies because I use spirulina everytime I make one. I figure adding spinach was no big deal then! You can't taste the spinach (I think the spirulina taste is stronger).

I try to put a lot of fruit and juice in my smoothies so that it makes the vitamin-y taste less noticable. I also put in flax seeds, protein powder, nutritional yeast (sometimes) and coconut oil. I'm always amazed that my kids will drink these and think my smoothies are a great treat! Laughing

As for my skin, I can't really tell if it's affecting it yet (it's only been about two weeks) but, MAN!, it's making me feel great! It goes something like this: I have more energy which leads to a better attitude which leads to a happier time with my family which then leads me to want to do more which then leads to an even more happier family as I make them lots of yummy meals and treats plus manage to get more done at home to keep the house running better. Got that? Laughing I am feeling great these days and I really believe it is the green smoothies and better nutrition (with all my additives). Highly recommend them!
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:38 am      Reply with quote
BYRG wrote:
That's great! Healthy eating certainly makes every organ healthy, and the skin is the largest of course. Diet has a major effect on skin. When I was disciplined and obsessed enough to eat super healthy before my skin completely cleared up and had a natural healthy glow, even tone and softness. I want to start eating healthier again and more raw foods.

I've tried green smoothies before but I didn't like all the thick fiber from the greens. Maybe I didn't use enough water, but I prefer to juice my greens. I want to start juicing again. I make smoothies with all berries, water and supplements like goji and camu camu powder, and Vega which is a protein/meal replacement powder with chlorella and maca. http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/vega-complete-whole-food-meal-replacement-mix.htm

Thanks for the url! That powder looks amazing!
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:43 am      Reply with quote
ellyp wrote:
It's so funny that this is a topic right now! I have been doing green smoothies for my family for the past few weeks. I throw two huge handfuls of fresh spinach in with whatever I make. My kids think it's perfectly natural anyway to have green smoothies because I use spirulina everytime I make one. I figure adding spinach was no big deal then! You can't taste the spinach (I think the spirulina taste is stronger).

I try to put a lot of fruit and juice in my smoothies so that it makes the vitamin-y taste less noticable. I also put in flax seeds, protein powder, nutritional yeast (sometimes) and coconut oil. I'm always amazed that my kids will drink these and think my smoothies are a great treat! Laughing

As for my skin, I can't really tell if it's affecting it yet (it's only been about two weeks) but, MAN!, it's making me feel great! It goes something like this: I have more energy which leads to a better attitude which leads to a happier time with my family which then leads me to want to do more which then leads to an even more happier family as I make them lots of yummy meals and treats plus manage to get more done at home to keep the house running better. Got that? Laughing I am feeling great these days and I really believe it is the green smoothies and better nutrition (with all my additives). Highly recommend them!

Wow! you sound like such a good mom, all I remember eating when I was a kid (only about 9-10 years ago) was pop tarts... I can't imagine myself eating green smoothies back then. And of all the greens available, spirulina?! That's amazing! Your kids are going to benefit from your nutritious cooking for the rest of their lives. And I can totally relate to the smoothies making me feel great, they give me such a great, clean, happy, energetic feeling. I plan on trying adding flax oil to my smoothies since you've mentioned it, nutritional yeast and coconut oil sound like great ideas too.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:08 am      Reply with quote
Here is what I use: http://www.livingfuel.com/LFP_01.htm

I normally mix it w/a handful of berries (mixed and cranberries) and sometimes 1/2 a banana. It fills me up until lunch and does wonders for how I feel - energized, awake, etc.

While it pains me that it is expensive - all the good ones are - I justify it because I don't like to eat breakfast normally and not eating is so bad so...the other reason is that I can tote it with me when I travel but sans the berries, of course. Then, I just have to choke it down!!! Shock
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:04 am      Reply with quote
BYRG wrote:

Wow, BYRG, this powder looks amazing! I try to only get the protein powder from Rice (and I recently tried Whey for my boys but it bothers me that it's from milk, I'd rather avoid that altogether). Unfortunately, I just looked at the price of it. Shock When I was pre-kids this stuff was so much more doable. Now that I make a smoothie and have to x4 everything, we are going through my supplies quickly. Crying or Very sad I have to be so careful with what I choose to put in. My husband is open to doing all the natural stuff but he doesn't necessarily believe in paying gobs of money for suppliments each month! It's easier to take suppliments now though then pay high medical bills later.... Laughing
passionfruit
5% products discount

Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:47 am      Reply with quote
i am very interested in trying the green smoothies. not so much for my skin but for the all over effect. due to large stress levels in my life the past few months anda diet that consists mostly of coffee and coke,my skin and health have suffered. i used to make fruit smoothies every day. can you tell me what you mix the fruits and spinach with to make the smoothies. cant wait to try them

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
sounds delicious!
I know that when
I started juicing my skin looked amazing!
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
I wholeheartedly agree that nutrition plays an extremely important role in our overall health as well as the vitality of our skin. I swtiched my diet over to organic foods a few years ago and am so glad I did. It was one of the best choices I've made for myself and I continue to be a huge advocate on organic living to the point it's beginning to annoy my friends and family. LOL But many of them have caught on so I'm happy that my persistence paid off.

And I too love my smoothies. I usually make them with berries and other fruits mixed with juices or yogurt or milk. I think they are a great quick meal for breakfast and oh so yummy. I remember many years ago when my aunt was visitng from Italy how she used to make this fruit "soup" for my baby cousin (mashed bananas, apples, pears, berries, milk - all frapped in a blender) as an alternative to baby food. I thought what a great idea and after tasting it thought it was a delicous treat for all ages, not to mention super healthy. I must admit that I'm quite lazy when it comes to eating fruits but if I mix them all up in a smoothie I can be sure I'm getting the recommended daily intake. I'm glad to hear that so many other people have noticed great results from smoothies too. Let's keep spreading the word!! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
cool i never thought about putting flax into my smoothies.. does it blend thouroughly or is it still a seedy texture? i hate chewing my shakes which happens sometimes when its too thick :/
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi passionfruit, I just mix some fruit and greens with cold water, so it's a smoothie/icy like consistancy. I hope these help you feel and be healthier Smile

passionfruit wrote:
i am very interested in trying the green smoothies. not so much for my skin but for the all over effect. due to large stress levels in my life the past few months anda diet that consists mostly of coffee and coke,my skin and health have suffered. i used to make fruit smoothies every day. can you tell me what you mix the fruits and spinach with to make the smoothies. cant wait to try them
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:34 am      Reply with quote
mmmmmmm that fruit soup sounds incredible! I am lazy with my fruits and veggies too. I never really ate leafy greens, just because it would take me an hour to eat a salad... And I can totally relate to annoying my family with the healthiness Laughing I would feel to guilty if I wasn't being more proactive about their lifestyles though Sad But the best feeling is introducing somebody to something super healthy, and having them absolutely love the taste!
wildflower wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree that nutrition plays an extremely important role in our overall health as well as the vitality of our skin. I swtiched my diet over to organic foods a few years ago and am so glad I did. It was one of the best choices I've made for myself and I continue to be a huge advocate on organic living to the point it's beginning to annoy my friends and family. LOL But many of them have caught on so I'm happy that my persistence paid off.

And I too love my smoothies. I usually make them with berries and other fruits mixed with juices or yogurt or milk. I think they are a great quick meal for breakfast and oh so yummy. I remember many years ago when my aunt was visitng from Italy how she used to make this fruit "soup" for my baby cousin (mashed bananas, apples, pears, berries, milk - all frapped in a blender) as an alternative to baby food. I thought what a great idea and after tasting it thought it was a delicous treat for all ages, not to mention super healthy. I must admit that I'm quite lazy when it comes to eating fruits but if I mix them all up in a smoothie I can be sure I'm getting the recommended daily intake. I'm glad to hear that so many other people have noticed great results from smoothies too. Let's keep spreading the word!! Smile
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
dealated wrote:
Hi passionfruit, I just mix some fruit and greens with cold water, so it's a smoothie/icy like consistancy. I hope these help you feel and be healthier Smile

passionfruit wrote:

I love all sorts of smoothis/ shakes/ icee's/ etc. However, the closest thing I've tried to having 'greens' in it was one of those smoothies you get at the store (called super food or something). So, considering that I like those type of things, I think I'm game to try some spinach in a smoothie.

Now, I've got some questions. Can you just get prepackaged frozen spinach at the store and use it (do you have to defrost it first)? And what other 'leafy green' veggies can I use to make this concoction? Then,I mix in some fruit and whatever else I fancy, right?...

Either way, this sounds good already Laughing Any tips/ ticks would be highly appreciated, though Very Happy
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
i usually use lettuce (all kinds) and spinach and those salad mixes that are pre washed and packaged.. i think pretty much any greens will do as long as they are soft and leafy. lately ive been short on time and just throw in a handful of lettuce into the blender along with protien shake mix and soy and sometimes a banana. i think the key thing to know is that you cannot taste the greens at all! sure it may turn into a yucky looking color.. but you dont taste it at all. i try to trick my bf into drinking it but he cant get past the muddy color
BeHealthy

Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
cool i never thought about putting flax into my smoothies.. does it blend thouroughly or is it still a seedy texture? i hate chewing my shakes which happens sometimes when its too thick :/

You should use flax oil in your smoothie about 1 - 2 tablespoons per glass. I love flax seed in my smoothie but then read online that it shouldnt be used in smoothies as it binds to the nutrional content and excretes it, so you lose all the vitamin content, I was upset about this, since I had been having my smoothies this way for a few months, but I did find out that you can add it to oatmeal, works great this way. Flax oil is great in smoothies and flax seed is great with oatmeal, you should consume both daily.
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Would someone please post a good recipe? Thanks

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Here's a good one that I found:

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/cgi-bin/mb/YaBB.pl?board=skin;action=display;num=1143632064

Of course, I haven't been able to get any spinach for awhile... Crying or Very sad
sixtypassingforfortyfive
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
last thing that we read about greens was something about cabbage and brussell sprouts. I love both.but cannot for life of me remember what I read? Cancer prevention? Someone?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |