Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Laser hair removal
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MarciaNZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I have had one treatment so far with a laser hair removal treatment using the coolglide laser. I have noticed my hair is slowly growing back but some hair hasn't (2 weeks after treatment).
Has anyone had success with laser hair removal?
Also what lasers are the best.
So many different kinds out in the beauty market. Very Happy
It can be very expensive.
edu_moraes

Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there Marcia...

Right now I'm living in Sao Paulo city in Brazil and gotta tell ya this... Things here are extremely expensive, especially beauty treatments...

My friend had the hair of her entire leg removed using laser... She spent approx. 10 thousand dollars, cause her hair was very thick and dark... Anyways, I think she overwent 5 or 6 sessions but is now very happy with the outcome results... I'll talk to her so I can get the exact name of the laser machine (since there are so many out there !) and as soon as I have it I'll reply to you, alright !

Cheers
Eduardo
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:39 am      Reply with quote
I had my legs, bikini area and under arms done about 4 years ago. It was kind of expensive, but really it was the best money I've spent. I do like the fact that because the treatments are spread out, so are payments. I dont have to worry about shaving, ever. I do go in once a year -usually in the winter- and get hit with the laser again, but its only 150.00 for everything. If you can afford it, go for it!!!
chevycamarolvr
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:52 am      Reply with quote
I'm in the process of having my underarms and bikini area lasered.... Yes it's expensive, but I'm seeing good results so far.

It takes more than one treatment to get any results. The laser can only affect the hair that is growing, and not all your hair is growing at one time! It goes in cycles... Depending on the are you're having treated, your visits should be spaced somewhere between 6 and 10 weeks apart.

There's a number of hair removal sites that have forums...www.hairtell.com andwww.cosmeticenhancementsforum.com are a couple of them. There's a TON of info on both sites, you might want to check them out.
dchickb
5% products discount

Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:11 am      Reply with quote
Hi - I'm booked for my first IPL session next week - having my upper leg and bikini done, as i'm quite dark. i was advised to have between 3 and 6 sessions - obviously the more, the better. I've been waxing for years, but that's only temporary, whereas lazer should be almost permanent - i hope. it's costing me 300 euros per session, lasting about one and three quarter hours each time. Hope the cost is worth it. i'll still have to wax my lower leg, but i can handle that every few weeks!
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:55 am      Reply with quote
For those of you who've had it done, does it hurt ? Also, how much does each treatment cost. How can you figure out who to go to? I'm looking to do this if I get a Christmas bonus. Thanks for any help.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
c4ward wrote:
For those of you who've had it done, does it hurt ? Also, how much does each treatment cost. How can you figure out who to go to? I'm looking to do this if I get a Christmas bonus. Thanks for any help.

Does it hurt? .... Like you wouldn't believe! Basically what the laser does is burn the inside of the hair follicle so nothing can grow there any more. I know a lot of people will say the pain only lasts a few minutes, but I'm tender for a couple days afterward.

Treatment costs vary depending upon the area being lasered and your location... I'm currently paying about $250 per treatment for underarms and full bikini. I signed up during a "sale" so that's actually a reduced price. On average it takes 6-8 treatments for the reduction to be permanent.

Laser can only target dark hair, so if any of it is blonde, red or light brown, laser probably won't work for you (you'd have to get electrolysis). The darker and coarser the hair, the better result you'll have. I'm down to a lot of blonde/lighter hairs and will probably need to switch to electrolysis soon to be completely hair free.

If you look above at my previous post, I posted links for a couple hair removal sites. Both of them have tons of info and recommendations for providers in your area.... I'd browse around there to get more info before starting the search for a practitioner.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the reply. I wonder if you could use a numbing cream like Elamax before?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
You can, but the way my laser person explained it, it would be really inconvenient.... She said a thick layer of the cream (whatever it is she would've prescribed me) and hour (or was it two?) before and saran wrap it up... Which would be VERY difficult to do on your underarms and bikini area (LOL just thinking about it).

Plus, it's not safe to use on large areas. There's been a couple deaths reported due to poisonings from using too much of it. That in itself is reason enough for me to just deal with the pain!

A couple OTC pain relievers - Tylenol, Advil, whatever - seem to help with the soreness, but it's definitely not complete relief!

Sorry guys... I don't mean to hog this thread or anything. I just feel like I need to share the info I found out while researching!
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my gosh. Very good to know!

5% products discount

Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
There are actually lasers that do target lighter hair. I had my bikini area lasered and couldn't be happier!
MarciaNZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:34 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for all the information and advice - also the links.
I will read up on laser removal.
In nz its costing me $450 for extended bikini and underarm.
Its worth it i hope. Smile
Mabsy

Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:33 am      Reply with quote
I'm currently doing IPL sessions and they're costing me about Au$150 for brazilian + underams. I have very pale skin but dark hair so I'm apparently the best candidate for it. I've only had one treatment and have mixed feelings about the rather patchy results - hopefully second one will be better. It *does* hurt though, although the pain is split second and doesn't stick around.

Btw, you may want to investigate IPL vs Laser - I've been told that IPL is more effective and less painful.
nicky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy,

i just went for the patch test for IPL (Aculight) on saturday past where they said i have skin type 3 which i guess translates as pale skin and dark hair. I am going for hair removal for my bikini line. I have the first proper treatment this saturday. They said they will start at 50% setting and work up tp 60 and 70%. The technician told me most people start at 30 - 40% guess my bikini area is really pale!!! It better work as i have paid for 6 sessions in advance - if it works i think i will have gotten a good deal as it should have been £674 but they had a 50% off deal if u booked 6 sessions which means i was £337. Did they mention anything about what settings they were using on u??

Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:48 am      Reply with quote
nicky1 wrote:
Hi Mabsy,

i just went for the patch test for IPL (Aculight) on saturday past where they said i have skin type 3 which i guess translates as pale skin and dark hair. I am going for hair removal for my bikini line. I have the first proper treatment this saturday. They said they will start at 50% setting and work up tp 60 and 70%. The technician told me most people start at 30 - 40% guess my bikini area is really pale!!! It better work as i have paid for 6 sessions in advance - if it works i think i will have gotten a good deal as it should have been £674 but they had a 50% off deal if u booked 6 sessions which means i was £337. Did they mention anything about what settings they were using on u??

No, she didn't mention anything about settings at all. I will ask her next week. I might also tell her to crank it up a bit - I'm hoping it will be a tad more effective next time. I'm paying one session at a time but I would still really like this to work. I was also told 5-6 sessions.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:51 am      Reply with quote
nicky1 - I'm in the UK also. Are you going to a small clinic or a is it part of a group?

I've been umming and ahhing for ages about saving up for bikini and underarm laser hair removal.
nicky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi Majorb, I am in Northern Ireland and am going to a reputable beauty spa in Belfast. I have ummed and aahheed and saved and spent the money i saved for it a couple of times before committing to this. I am fed up with ingrown hairs and scars where i pic them!! grosss i know, but that is fact and hopefully after the first session i should see a bit of difference. The technician said should take around 6 sessions but everyone is different.

Go on, go for it Majorb, ring around and price different places, I did and the range in price can be really big.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:38 am      Reply with quote
ljung wrote:
There are actually lasers that do target lighter hair.

What laser is that?

The main types I'm aware of are Alex, Diode, Yag and IPL... And from I found none of them are effective on blonde/red/light hairs. All my research indicated I would need electrolysis to remove any blonde hairs after I was finished with the laser.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Good luck, nicky. Let us know how you get on with it and I might end up going for it myself.

I inherited pale skin (that goes red at the drop of a hat!) from my Northern Irish grandma. I used to curse it being so wan/red, but it seems to be a blessing when it comes to laser! Laughing
nicky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:05 am      Reply with quote
Yes i will let u know my progress majorb, pale skin - tell me about it, i have dark blonde hair but the palest skin too, when i dont have any fake tan on my dad says i look like a negative!! yes having a northern irish heritage is great from the laser hair removal point of view with the pale skin but how i long to be swarthy!!! well i am on saturday after drowning in fake tan the night before.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:02 am      Reply with quote
It sounds as though we have exactly the same skin and hair colour. So if it works for you, it should also be fine for me. That's handy! Laughing

I was lovely and fake-tanned last night. Scrubbed it off today and I look as pale as a Goth who's about to pop their clogs. Shock
mimiek
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
Have you ever thought that the hair on the body maybe protects us from the dangerous UV light? This is what I think. I’m doing laser for my full legs, full arms, face and other areas. I noticed that I’m getting more freckles on my face since I started with laser.

This not a fact, this is what I think. I only use makeup with sunscreen. What do you think ladies?

I noticed a great difference since I started with laser. The first session is the most painful and then it feels better for each time. I felt almost nothing in the second and third session except the bikini and my armpits (I have 60% or more reduction on my armpits).

The laser they used is diode laser, LightSheer XC and the last time was with another machine but it was a diode. But I prefer lightSheer. I have lots of fine hair, so it will take longer time to get the desired reduction.
mimiek
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
It’s very important to choose the right technician. My last session was in a new center they refused to raise the joules, she said it’s too dangerous (But my skin did not react with the higher joules I didn’t even feel the pain) she also said that is takes longer time to treat each area. I’ve been reading a little bit about laser and IPL and I read somewhere that using higher joules makes it more expensive because they will need to change the treatment handle/head or the lamp more often.
MarciaNZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy,
I didn't know there was IPL? Does that mean Intense pulsed light. Or have i got it wrong Confused What is the difference? You said it was less painful - what does it feel like?
In nz any hair removal by laser is so expensive. I wish i lived in US or somewhere where it is more uptodate with beauty products etc. Sad
Oh well NZ is beautiful
Mabsy

Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Yes - it's Intense Pulsed Light. I have no idea what the exact difference is from laser though, sorry. I just read in many places that IPL is better (faster, not as paiful, etc).

In some areas (where there is not much hair or the hair is fine) IPL is painless. In other areas it feels like burning needles being stuck into the skin - it's *very* quick though!

MarciaNZ wrote:
Mabsy,
I didn't know there was IPL? Does that mean Intense pulsed light. Or have i got it wrong Confused What is the difference? You said it was less painful - what does it feel like?
In nz any hair removal by laser is so expensive. I wish i lived in US or somewhere where it is more uptodate with beauty products etc. Sad
Oh well NZ is beautiful
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:29 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |