Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
What's a good loose powder with good coverage w/ euro ss?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
librarygirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
What's a good loose powder with good coverage to put over LRP Anthelios SS? Anthelios (I'm currently using the Lait SFP 50+) has avobenzene and most powders with Iron, Titanium, and other minerals may destablize them.

I am currently using Coty Loose Powder b/c it has excellent coverage and I don't need foundation under it. I think this may reduce the effectiveness of the LRP SS. I tried Laura Mercier loose powder but the coverage is too little. Any ideas for an oily skinned gal?

Thanks.
milodomi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
t leclerc has very good loose powder but i think they do contain some mineral so maybe won't meet ur need

i've heard both bobbi brown & nars have fairly good powder (but haven't tried them myself) maybe u can check them out Surprised
librarygirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I was looking into NARS. I might try it.

Thanks!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
A lot of people here use the Jurilique rose or lavender powder and some use the LeClerk stuff. Both were recommended last year for use over LRP Anthelios. Apparantly they're both starch based not mineral. I'm not sure about coverage as I don't use makeup much myself. I always thought they were colourless powders, but I could be wrong.
HTH Molly Smile
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

Here's another one to consider. Youngblood Finishing powder is also starch based but has more color/coverage than a translucent powder.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Ive got the jurlique but it dosent give any coverage.
Have you tried waiting half an hour for the sunscreen to sink in,applying a bit of a cornflour starch(as a barrier between sunscreen and makeup) then applying makeup. This would probably work better if you use mineral makeup. Thats what was recommended to me.
Its such a nuisance that avobenzone is degraded like that,its in so many of the euro sunscreens too. Avene dosent but im getting sick of using that,its too shiny.
itisme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
I think the coverage should come from the foundation, rather than the powder. However, I would like to recommend the Paul & Joe loose powder in translucent. It works just great! I don't like BB's loose powder. It cakes and looks so fake on my NC25 face!

Age 27. Combination. Dry for winter and oil for summer. Acne prone. Uneven tone.Aging, worry about losing firmness.-------------------------I believe in that there is nobody else having worse skin than me. I keep looking for products can give me smooth, acne free yet soothing, firm, and radiant look.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:15 am      Reply with quote
Carolb69, which Avene sunscreen do you use? I found that the Avene emulsion was too shiny on me, but their Gel-Creme SPF 20/PPD 20 is semi-matte. It's really very nice.

I agree about avobenzene though...it is a pain that is not compatible with all those MMU's out there.
jordan1212

Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:15 am      Reply with quote
I never knew this, I always use me LRP with BE mineral powder on top. No wonder I still seem to get sun on my face. Can I use regular foundation powders if they contain SPF? Is the SPF bad, or just the minerals in mineral powders?
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
jordan1212 wrote:
I never knew this, I always use me LRP with BE mineral powder on top. No wonder I still seem to get sun on my face. Can I use regular foundation powders if they contain SPF? Is the SPF bad, or just the minerals in mineral powders?

It's the minerals reacting against the SDS.
You can wear a mineral powder over a mineral SS.
unsassy
5% products discount

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard that the Everyday Minerals finishing powder gets lots of raves, it's apparently tinted cornstarch. Not much coverage but that's what I plan on trying soon if only to take the shine off my sunscreen.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
PocoLoco wrote:
Carolb69, which Avene sunscreen do you use? I found that the Avene emulsion was too shiny on me, but their Gel-Creme SPF 20/PPD 20 is semi-matte. It's really very nice.

I agree about avobenzene though...it is a pain that is not compatible with all those MMU's out there.

i use the 40+ spray. Ive tried some other ones as well and didnt like them. I havent tried the one you suggest though so thanks for that I will check it out. Do you know if its available at tubotica? Very Happy never mind I'll go look now myself Very Happy
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
Glad I saw this! I just ordered some of the Anthelois, and I'm using MMU. I need foundation advice. How about the Nars or Bobbi Brown foundation? I've never tried either of them. Also, how about Vincent Longo? I've been wanting to try that. Any recommenations are great!!
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, me again. Just to clarify, is anything okay as long as it isn't MMU?
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
Dont all foundations have iron oxides? Thats what I heard-that the iron oxides in foundation can degrade avobenzone.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
carolb69 wrote:
Dont all foundations have iron oxides? Thats what I heard-that the iron oxides in foundation can degrade avobenzone.

I think it matters where in the ingredient list the iron oxide occurs.
I am using a non spf foundation from Clinique to minimise the degredation.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
So i guess MMU is a no/no as it has spf due to the zinc and titanium dioxide? I couldnt go back to liquid foundation after using minerals so Im just going to have to avoid avobenzone.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
PocoLoco wrote:

Pocoloco
is that the one that is also called "emulsion"?

Also I heard that if the minerals are coated it shouldnt be a problem. Aromaleigh glissade is meant to be coated but i havent tried it.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:45 pm      Reply with quote
Me again Very Happy

I found this on MUA. Just someones opinion
Almost all makeups contain uncoated TiO2, iron oxides and sometimes ZnO rop ( )
Yet, I've also heard the contrary: that most minerals in makeup nowadays are coated, but just don't advertise this. The only one I know for sure is coated is Aromaleigh Glissade. I mix this with some Velvet Effect French Talc (bought from http://www.cosmeticformulator.com) to improve the finsh. But honestly, I don't worry too much about this anymore. Possible degradation is only going to take place in the interface between your s/s and makeup. The experiments that showed that the oxides degraded avobenzone used completely mixed preparations of the ingredients, so there was maximum contact between the ingredients. The one thing I don't do is use any liquid makeup, since applying it over s/s will cause more mixing with the s/s than a powder that is dusted over the top.

HTH.
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
What's a good loose powder with good coverage to put over LRP Anthelios SS? Anthelios (I'm currently using the Lait SFP 50+) has avobenzene and most powders with Iron, Titanium, and other minerals may destablize them.

I have been heavily researching the above for the past year, asking a plethora of renowned NYC, Los Angeles, and Dallas dermatologists whether this theory is indeed factual. Unanimously and straight across the board, I get a "no." They were all quite familiar with this theory, and each explained to me in rather satisfying detail exactly why it is not true. All in all, I would respectfully just need a little more proof of this conjecture than what has been provided. Neutral
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:27 am      Reply with quote
SugarFreeSheila wrote:
Quote:

I have been heavily researching the above for the past year, asking a plethora of renowned NYC, Los Angeles, and Dallas dermatologists whether this theory is indeed factual. Unanimously and straight across the board, I get a "no." They were all quite familiar with this theory, and each explained to me in rather satisfying detail exactly why it is not true. All in all, I would respectfully just need a little more proof of this conjecture than what has been provided. Neutral

Yeah Im wondering where this theory came from. Are you able to tell us what they said? Thanks
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:12 am      Reply with quote
I wish that Kathleen of skincarecentral.biz would come over here and give us her opinion on this.

Carol, the Avene emulsion is SPF 50 and it is the one I found too shiny.

The Avene Gel-Creme is SPF 20/PPD 20 and it is semi-matte. I like it MUCH better. It uses tinsorb as it's sunscreen chemical which is stable.

If you can't find the Gel-Creme on Tubotica, do a Google search for it--one of the online retails sells it I just can't remember which one. Sorry.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
They were all quite familiar with this theory, and each explained to me in rather satisfying detail exactly why it is not true.

Hi Sugarfreesheila
That's brilliant news, really - it would save a lot of fretting and bother Smile Can you give us the details?
Thanks Molly
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:33 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
They were all quite familiar with this theory, and each explained to me in rather satisfying detail exactly why it is not true.

Hi Sugarfreesheila
That's brilliant news, really - it would save a lot of fretting and bother Can you give us the details?
Thanks Molly

Sugarfreesheila

I definitely like to hear from you. I would save me a lot of agony over what to use with my ss.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the posting! Somehow I never got emails to let me know that there are posts in this discussion thread despite the fact that I asked for notification.

It's so difficult to find a euro SS without avobenzene. I ordered the Bioderma Photoderm MAX Fluide SPF 50+ which is cosmetically elegant and may offer more UVA-I protection better than any sunscreen (according to sunscreens notepad on MUA). Although, this has Tinosorb and avobenzene I may have to still use my own loose powder (Coty) because I refuse to wear foundation. I will try NARS since they don't have any minerals and I heard that it provides nice coverage. The search for HG SS and loose powder still continues.

Thank you all for posting. This is all good information and I will ensure I keep my eye on this thread.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:10 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |