Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Bioelements Calmitude Hydrating Solution (118 ml / 4 floz) Skin Biology Protect & Restore High Retinol and Oil of Lavender - Large (113.4 g / 4 oz) Sothys Pore Refiner System Matifying Refiner Solution (30 ml / 1 oz)
Hair Straighteners...which one!! HELP!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:47 am      Reply with quote
OK guys please come to my rescue....

I have been looking around at Hair Straighteners and am now so confused as to which is the best to buy.

First of all I will explain what I want it to do, I have naturally wavy, fine hair that has a tendency to frizz.
I want to be able to get poker straight hair and also would love a pair that can be used as curling irons too as I like to have my hair curly too.
So I am thinking 2 uses in one product.
Now I am looking on a budget, I was hoping for around the £40 mark but if the the best ones come to double that then I will hold out until I have the cash.

So what is the difference between GHD's, Ceramics, Tourmaline, PMB's, T3's hmm Shock
What should I buy????

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:19 am      Reply with quote
Rosebud,
I have naturally wavy, thick, course hair. From what I've heard, Sedu is pretty darn good. You basically get what you pay for. Think this one's a ceramic one. I'm also looking into tourmaline which is newer technology I suppose.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hopefully someone knowledgable in this area will respond soon.
I too would like to know the difference between them all. I have asked many hairdressers and none of them actually know why they use what they use in their salons.
I have been using a Remington ceramic slimline for about two and a half years now with no problems. I have quite coarse hair, but its wavy, not curly.
They only cost about AUD$30-40 and come with a two year warranty. I have been told GHD only come with 12 mths warranty - I figure for the $ they want they should be able to guarantee it for longer than that!
The only reason I am really looking for another one is that I need one with an automatic shut-off - I have left it on all day a few times and am now very paranoid. Shock Embarassed Testament to its quality for cost though is that it has survived these episodes without a problem.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:05 am      Reply with quote
When I got my haircut last week, my stylist wanted to flat iron my hair which he's never done. He's always blown it out. He said the straightener cost the salon like $400 and it was tourmaline. He dried my hair but still was damp and proceeded to straighten it...I was shocked! I said 'arent you suppose to straighten it when it's dry?'

He said the new technology of the tourmaline plates allows it to take the moisture and capture it in the hair. Now sure exactly how true that is. Probably should just do a quick google seach on it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
i have dry curly hair i like my hair to be straight all the time the best straightner i have used so far is GHD it is excelent you get the best results it is a bit expensive but you can get it cheaper in ebay Wink
good luck
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
He dried my hair but still was damp and proceeded to straighten it...I was shocked! I said 'arent you suppose to straighten it when it's dry?'

I have a Remington Wet 2 Straight and like the name, you can use it on wet hair. I think I paid around $50 for it but not really sure, could've been a bit more. I haven't tried many so I don't know how it compares. I have thick curly hair and it handles it just fine. I don't straighten my hair enough to justify spending a whole lot but I really like that I can use it on wet hair. If I step up to a nicer one it'll have to handle wet hair.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
I have recently come accross a wonderful site that explained all about the different types of hair straighteners:

http://www.salonlines.co.uk/advice/index.php?p=1&category_id=13&article_id=9

I am now trying to decide between GHD's and T3's, my SO got so sick of listening about them that he says I have to buy which ever are the best, reguardless of the price Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
When I was looking for a flat iron, I was deciding between the Chi and the Sedu; I got the Sedu because it seemed like people had problems with the Chi soon after the warranty expired. I've had the Sedu for almost 2 years now and it's great. It goes up to 200°, but I leave it at 160°; I use a good serum on my hair when it's wet, so it's pretty well protected from the heat.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
my sushi secret wrote:
When I was looking for a flat iron, I was deciding between the Chi and the Sedu; I got the Sedu because it seemed like people had problems with the Chi soon after the warranty expired. I've had the Sedu for almost 2 years now and it's great. It goes up to 200°, but I leave it at 160°; I use a good serum on my hair when it's wet, so it's pretty well protected from the heat.

That's what I've hard too, people dance around which is better the Chi or the Sedu and Sedu seems to win out. I've read where people who have the Chi have converted to the Sedu, I may have to actually break down and invest a few hundred dollars in a good straightener. What heat protectant product do you use? Good Lord I just saw the price of GHD..about fainted.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
That's what I've hard too, people dance around which is better the Chi or the Sedu and Sedu seems to win out. I've read where people who have the Chi have converted to the Sedu, I may have to actually break down and invest a few hundred dollars in a good straightener. What heat protectant product do you use? Good Lord I just saw the price of GHD..about fainted.

Now I use Redken Smooth Heat Glide serum. You use it after towel drying and then blow dry/straighten. I got it at Target for $14. The Sedu I have was about $120....it's a lot, but if you take care of it, it'll last awhile.
MarciaNZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi, GHDs are the best hair straighteners out on the market. It heats up to 200 degrees but doesn't reck your hair. You can use it on wet or dry hair.
I have used budget to the most expensive hair straighteners and GHD have given me the best results. Easy to use and works Really fast to straighten hair. Also you can use these straighteners to curl your hair too.
I paid $290 for a baby bliss hair straightener and i have been kicking myself ever since.
Trust me GHD are worth it in the long run. Smile
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:18 am      Reply with quote
It's the oddest thing...I used to have wavy, curly hair, but now it is straightening out. Anyhow, I use Enjoy's straightener. It's in the purple bottle.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
I absolutely love my GHD's.
I have the mini ones as I have short hair.
If you want them for curling too then make sure you either get the mini or if you have longer hair get the next size up.

Here is a good site which tells you how to curl:
http://www.nzgirl.co.nz/articles/5381
milodomi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
i love GHD as well, it heats up very quickly and is designed ergonomically well
mithai
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
I love my GHD as well.......and while buying from States keep in mind the difference in voltage......been there done that! but I had bought my sedu from folica who refunded my money(including the shipping THEY paid) without any hassles while it was totally my fault in frying the sedu. God bless them!
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
i have chi (sp?) and i love it..... Very Happy
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have a Babyliss Ceramic Hair Straightener. It comes with a ten feet cord and temperature control up to 215 degrees.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
I use the CHI and CHI Silk Infusion. My hair is so damaged from coloring and bleaching but you would never know it once I'm done styling wiht that. In fact, it looks exceptionally healthy and shiny!
dolly*eye
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know if they carry this in where you are, but I have had my CHI straightener for 4 years... and it still lasting. It heats up fast and straightens well
sark
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:11 am      Reply with quote
has anyone used the t3 bespoke labs medium duality iron that's currently carried by sephora?
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
befor I use straighter, should I use some special hair condition?
gigiab6
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
Sark,
My best friend who has the most intense curly hair and hates doing anything to it, had the T3 and loves it. Its really fast for her to straighten it and she has really dense curls. Also, she loves that she can use it wet or dry. I have pretty straight hair but I have used it and I enjoy it because it heats up really quickly and works on my long (middle of my back) hair and doesn't take too long which is impressive given how much hair I have. I really want to get one to replace my old one, when I have the money of course. Oh and I think the T3 has tourmaline technology. HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:54 am      Reply with quote
I think VS has a straightener as well so perhaps you can try that? I know other VS tools are quite good and value-for-money so probably their straightener would be good too?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:17 am      Reply with quote
I have fine, wavy hair too and found a product that will straighten your hair without using a heating device. It's called Bored Straight and it's made by Beyond The Zone. I got it at Sally Beauty Supply for $4.99. It's a foam that you apply on damp hair - and it really works! It also leaves hair feeling very smooth and looks shiny - I love it!
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
just $4.99? Shock
System
Automatic Message
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Viz-1000 Intensive Hydrating Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Skin Biology Protect & Restore High Retinol and Oil of Lavender - Large (113.4 g / 4 oz) Decleor Orexcellence Energy Concentrate Youth Mask (50 ml)