Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Is it Safe to Re-use Another Person's Eye Shadow?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:39 am      Reply with quote
This is probably a dumb question, but here goes ...

Last Saturday while out and about, one of the bar staff gave me an eyeshadow that he had found. Now normally I would just toss it but this product is very appealing to me. It’s one of those Armani powder single shadows with the mirror in the lid - I love small make-up containers, especially with mirrors, and I like the design of the Armani packaging in general. Also, the colour is one I could see myself buying, a light shimmery beige/champagne. It looks almost new, maybe used only 2 or 3 times.

Would this be safe to use if I scraped the top layer off? I know some members here swap on MUA. If it was a powder blush I would feel better, but I’m concerned as it’s an eye product. Any suggestions? Or should I just toss it?

I know make-up artists re-use the same products on zillions of people but with my luck, the person who lost it probably had conjunctivitis or some bizarre contagious medical condition ...
CompassRose
5% products discount

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:54 am      Reply with quote
I'd be more concerned that she might be one of those people who uses spit to dampen the shadow for eyeliner.

Still, you would more than likely be okay if you scraped the top layer off and used your own applicator. It's dry, after all; not a terribly good bacterial growth medium. Were it a gel or cream shadow, or something in a bottle, I would definitely say "ew, no!"

37, and suddenly hitting the age wall... just last year I got carded, don't think it would happen now. Medium-fair combination skin, oilier in summer. Occasional isolated, but thus more prominent, breakouts. I react to most products, eventually.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:46 am      Reply with quote
I think it would be fine, I always use an alcohol wipe when swapping on MUA, both in sending and reciving. If its a powder product like that, I rub the wipe all over it and let it dry, then I take an old brush and rub the first layer of product off. I feel like this gets any grems off without wasting too much product. So I say go for it! Very Happy

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
Lola Moroney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Dump it
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:12 am      Reply with quote
I'd dump it. You don't know if that person had pink eye or something. If you got it, you'd have to throw out all the eye makeup you used to avoid getting recontaminated.
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
i'd dump it. im too afraid to use used stuff now adays.. even testing makeup counter stuff i gotta use anti bac right after
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
DOn't use it. If you do, you're risking getting an eye infection, or even worse. Keep in mind that even the common cold can be transported through the eyes. I mean, if it was your sister's or something it might be different. But found in a bar? No way.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
CompassRose wrote:
I'd be more concerned that she might be one of those people who uses spit to dampen the shadow for eyeliner.

WTH???? Like it takes that much more effort to use water!

I had pink eye for the first time a few months ago and it was awful. I had bought about 15 new eyeshadows a few months before that and really didn't want to throw them out, even though they might have been contaminated. I scraped several layers off and decided to see if my eyes became infected again. They didn't, so I was lucky, but I'd be a little wary of using a stranger's makeup.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
I'd use it after scraping it off.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
DOn't use it. If you do, you're risking getting an eye infection, or even worse. Keep in mind that even the common cold can be transported through the eyes. I mean, if it was your sister's or something it might be different. But found in a bar? No way.
\]
Exactly what i was going to say - I would only use my sisters.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:56 am      Reply with quote
CompassRose wrote:

Do people really do that? Ugghh!

Yes, I probably should toss it. I’m normally pretty germ-phobic and famous for my ability to operate lift buttons without using fingers, but lately Ive been wondering if I’m too paranoid about bugs.

I think Vonstella’s suggestion about the alcohol wipes is very sensible and I imagine that “should” kill any bacteria/virus on the surface ?? Hmm... I’m going to think about it a bit more. I hate to throw an almost new Armani eye shadow in a colour I love into the garbage. However, the more I think about CompassRose’s comment on the “spit” ... I think it will end up in the bin.
Kiki678
5% products discount

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
I'm in the "dump it" group too. There was an outbreak of pink eye at my school that they think came from sharing eye shadow.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:18 am      Reply with quote
I would bin it.
doodlebug
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:32 am      Reply with quote
I'd dump it. I wouldn't risk an infection. BTW, I asked the Clinique girl once about how sanitary to use the testers and she said they have disposable sponges and cannot re-dip and they disinfect their brushes with special cleaner. I'm a nut about bacteria though so I don't know if you should listen to me!

Maybe you could just test it on your hand and if you really like it buy one? I know that's costly but still safer.

But something tells me you'll just scape it off and use it.... Laughing

If so, enjoy it!

Doodlebug
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:36 am      Reply with quote
EEEWWWW!!!!!

Sorry, JMHO Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
i'd dump it too..as much as i love trying on makeup at counters, i never put them on my face and would only sacriface back of my hands
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
OMG DUMP IT,
On a morning show here, they took makeup out of the ladies purses (only used by the individual lady) and the stuff found in there was scary, so after a certain amount of time, you can give urself an infection from your own stuff. Also people can be carriers of diff illnesses and not even know it. I am not a germ freak, but I'd def not use it. Ok if on desert island and had a date and that was it, I would but otherwise no.
Rimi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:12 am      Reply with quote
You would never know if it's contaminated with anything, so why take the chance. You just might spend more on eye drops, cancelled appointments, and general misery if you were to get an eye infection! Ick.

Dump it, and consider this a good reason to go treat yourself to a lovely Armani eyeshadow (from the store)! Very Happy
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:17 am      Reply with quote
I just put it in the bin Sad Although I'm sure it would be safe after using the alcohol wipes, I'm afraid I couldn't get past the mental image of someone spitting on it! Thanks CompassRose Laughing

I bought myself several new Stila products on the weekend so I have those to play with instead.

Still, if it came to a choice between using the eye shadow after treating with the alcohol wipes and touching one of those rubber handrails on escalators, I would choose the eye shadow every time!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |