Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Does color drain from lips as you get older?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
I've been noticing within the past year or so that my lips seem to have lost a lot of color. They were never very pink or anything, but these days they seem to be paler, and if anything more purple-ish than pink. The only time I really see some good color in them is when I'm eating spicy foods and the blood rushes to my lips.

So my questions is, is this just something that happens are you get older -- lips losing color, getting pale? I'm wondering if I should be considering it as a sign of health issue vs. normal aging.
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
I believe that as you age, your lips do loose some color (I wonder what Angelina Jolie and her lips will look like when she ages Razz ).

However, you said that within the past year, your lips have lost that rosy color and are more purpleish. This is way to much of a dramatic change in such a short period of time for your lips to do this on you. To me, this is a sign of poor circulation that you should definetly get checked at the doctors for (the sign that spicy foods bring the pinkish color back suggests something to do with circulation). I came up with this reason because:

1) it just makes sense to me Rolling Eyes
and
2) when you get surgery that requires anesthesia (sp?) in a hospital, one of the vitals they look for AFTER the surgery to be able to let you out of their care, is that your lips come back to their pinkishy color. Therefore, holding some sort of connection of the bodies organs/ blood.

So, again, my recommendation is to definetly get to the doctors and see what may be going on.

And by all means, I'm no doctor, so I wouldn't know anything for sure. Hopefully others respond and we can see what they think. Hope that helps in some way or another Very Happy .
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:24 am      Reply with quote
girldelvov wrote:

However, you said that within the past year, your lips have lost that rosy color and are more purpleish. This is way to much of a dramatic change in such a short period of time for your lips to do this on you.

Well I should clarify that my lips were never "rosy." I can't recall ever having pink lips, even as a teenager. But still, I've noticed them getting paler and more blue/purple-tinged these days and it's not looking too healthy or attractive. Yes, I do think I should bring it up next time I see a doctor.

Thanks for the advice.
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Your lips age like the skin all over your body, but there are things that you can do to improve the color and shape. My mother is 55 and her lips used to nearly match her skin tone and weren't plump or lip like at all. These products worked wonders for her:
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P67404
This aids in increased collagen production, prevents cell inflammation and oxidative stess. The company spent a very long time researching the ingredients, and they are really fabulous. It's a lip plumper as well as a lip anti-aging product.

and this product:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7672&highlight=lip+antioxidant
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:27 am      Reply with quote
Dealated, do the products you described help with color? And by that I don't mean that they coat the lips with color, but do they somehow bring more color to the lips naturally?

I am pretty wary of lip plumping products.

I tried one recently and couldn't stop laughing at the effects:

Right after I tried it, I thought, "Whatever, that's just lip gloss." But soon I felt blood rushing to my lips, and a really unsettling tingling feeling. It felt like I had just eaten 15 jalapeno peppers. I checked a mirror and saw that my lips were bright red, and looked inflamed. The area AROUND them, the skin, got kind of red and swollen, too. The tingling and swelling lasted for about 20 minutes.

It was good for a laugh, but it was also vaguely disturbing! Shock
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:35 am      Reply with quote
Janis wrote:
Right after I tried it, I thought, "Whatever, that's just lip gloss." But soon I felt blood rushing to my lips, and a really unsettling tingling feeling. It felt like I had just eaten 15 jalapeno peppers. I checked a mirror and saw that my lips were bright red, and looked inflamed. The area AROUND them, the skin, got kind of red and swollen, too. The tingling and swelling lasted for about 20 minutes.

Janis, after I read that, I remembered my situation to be the exact same the first time I tried a plumper. So, I know exactly what you mean. I got that exact reaction with the Jackson Bennett (SP?)beautiFULL lips, it was pretty scary. And the tingling and blood rushing didn't seem little at all, it seemed like my lips were drying up and on fire. But the product at sephora looks kind of promising. You never know, I guess.
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
Janis wrote:
Dealated, do the products you described help with color? And by that I don't mean that they coat the lips with color, but do they somehow bring more color to the lips naturally?

I am pretty wary of lip plumping products.

I tried one recently and couldn't stop laughing at the effects:

Don't worry, Citylips doesn't contain irritants (like cinnamon) like other lip plumping products, they both help long term to correct lip lines and bring a healthier color to your lips.
Shirley M
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
Janis wrote:
girldelvov wrote:

However, you said that within the past year, your lips have lost that rosy color and are more purpleish. This is way to much of a dramatic change in such a short period of time for your lips to do this on you.

Well I should clarify that my lips were never "rosy." I can't recall ever having pink lips, even as a teenager. But still, I've noticed them getting paler and more blue/purple-tinged these days and it's not looking too healthy or attractive. Yes, I do think I should bring it up next time I see a doctor.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Janice, I think girldelvov is right, purplish/blue is not a normal shade for lips, it sounds like cyanosis to me, which can occur for many different reasons. I'm a paramedic and see many patients with cyanosis - usually it's because of a lower than normal percentage of oxygen in the blood (again, could be many causes, sometimes when people are cold their lips/nose/ears/extremities appear slightly cyanosed). I would recommend you mention this to your doctor as girldelvov advised - he/she will let you know if this is normal for you or not.
Shirley M
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |