Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Clarks Botanicals Retinol Rescue Overnight Cream (50 ml) Peter Thomas Roth Viz-1000 Intensive Hydrating Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Decleor Orexcellence Energy Concentrate Youth Mask (50 ml)
Normal for lips to peel everyday?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know much about lips, but i'm sure the resident lip experts here *cough Carrie* would be able to help me. I know that lips can't actually absorb moisture, that's why i understand that my lip balms only temporarily soften and smoothe. I wonder what's the normal "cell turnover" rate for lips. Mine sheds skin daily. I don't know if the lipsticks i use contribute to that (I use MAC mainly). I tried exfoliating with a toothbrush but gave up because i think i get more skin off just peeling with my fingers (i know bad habit). Everytime i finish peeling my lips (usually in the shower at night), I would get more skin to peel off the next night. I've also developed a bad habit of peeling my lips in the middle of the day. Just wondering if it's normal to peel everyday and if there are any products or supplements i can take to stop my lips from shedding skin so frequently (I have thick lips and it's annoying how much skin i shed). TIA!
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:29 am      Reply with quote
Wait a minute... lips can't absorb moisture?!? That makes me so angry! Why not? So I guess the problem hasn't been my lip balms, it's been that lips don't absorb moisture! Okay, I'm going to google this and understand for myself Mad
PS
My lips shed at least every two days.
sweetreat
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:58 am      Reply with quote
hmm i've the same problem too. anyone has any ideas?

thanks in advance! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:06 am      Reply with quote
I have found that any lipstick or lipgloss irritate my lips and causes more shedding. My lips are in much better condition if I leave them bare.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:27 am      Reply with quote
Smoothskin wrote:
I have found that any lipstick or lipgloss irritate my lips and causes more shedding. My lips are in much better condition if I leave them bare.

Mine too.
The best product I have found for dry lips is Lucas paw paw ointment. It comes in a red tube and is very cheap. Applying this every night during the Aussie winter has meant that my lips have stayed smooth and chap-free.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
My lips can shed everyday. It's annoying and gross, especially when I'm wearing lipstick. What I've been doing to avoid any peeling during the day is daily I'll rub them gently with a wet washcloth to get off any excess skin, and weekly I'll exfoliate with my facial scrub (Queen Helene Oatmeal n' Honey).
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
I think wearing lipstick/lipgloss contributes to the shedding. Mine sheds but if I use lip balm everynight it doesn't shed much. But if I stop for a while and then start again with lip balm I find first my lips shed ALL of its outer layer and what I end up getting is a very smooth moisturized pair of lips. So I'm not sure if shedding everyday is normal, because if mine sheds it only does a little bit, not enough to PEEL it off because I would end up peeling too much. I also find my lips would DEFINITELY peel after I use lipstick - I use MAC too. I also peel a little after lip gloss more so with lipglass but less so with other brands. It depends on the stickiness of the lipgloss I find, I don't peel much with lipfusion (actually sometimes I don't peel at all with it).

Best advice is to find a lip balm that actually WORKS for you - I have used various brands of lip balms and some actually INCREASE my shedding. Now I use Neutrogena and it works the best on my lips even though there are other brands out there with much better and more natural ingredients.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
dealated wrote:
Wait a minute... lips can't absorb moisture?!? That makes me so angry! Why not? So I guess the problem hasn't been my lip balms, it's been that lips don't absorb moisture! Okay, I'm going to google this and understand for myself Mad
PS
My lips shed at least every two days.

Mine are exactly the same way, it makes me so mad...although I feel a little better knowing Im not the only one who suffers from this! Please let us know what you find out. Very Happy
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
One more thing, this NEVER happened to me untill I turned 24, anyone else notice a certian age this started at?
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
One more thing, this NEVER happened to me untill I turned 24, anyone else notice a certian age this started at?

Vonstella,
It started for me when I turned 20, I guess it's an aging thing? In A few more years mine are just going to crinkle up and fall off Crying or Very sad
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hopefully ManslayerLiz will offer up some advice. She found after a LONG ordeal that she actually has an allergic reaction to Castor Oil, which is in most lip products.

The peeling may not be an allergic reaction persay but a common ingredient in lip products may be causing this.

I don't wear lipstick etc. I have my lip balms and that's it. But - when going 'out' I do wear a lip color and have found that my lips will peel.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
After googling online for awhile, I'm going to try taking a vitamin B-complex to see if it will help. Would still appreciate any more ideas. Smile
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:27 am      Reply with quote
My lips peels because they are usually too dry. I use vaseline in the morning and at night before I go to bed and it's really dry, during the day. My lips are cracking and peeling a lot less now.

BTW, I don't wear any lipstick or gloss now and it helps with the peeling. A lot of lipstick just dries out your lips.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:36 am      Reply with quote
Well, funny enough, at 24 I developed this problem for the first time in my life. As Candy said, I went through a long ordeal and finally found that i'm allergic to a preservative often used in castor oil (but that's seldom listed on ingredients labels.) I cut out products containing castor oil, but that only fixed the problem somewhat-- I was still peeling like crazy! Finally I was reading Audrey Kunin's book about Dermatology, and I read in there that severely peeling lips can be a reaction to taking too much B12. I checked my multi-vitamin and lo and behold it contained a whopping 4000% RDA!!! So, I stopped taking it and within a week my lips had been restored to their old glory!! I told this anecdote to one of my dermatologists and she poo-pooed it, saying that it's impossible. So, I went back to taking the multi-vit and within a week my lips were a wreck. Now I'm off it again (Looking for a new vegetarian multivit with a much lower amount of B12) and my lips are great. HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:07 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz-

Did you notice any other symptoms of your allergy to castor oil? Or was it just your lips?

Thanks!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:34 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
manslayerliz-

Did you notice any other symptoms of your allergy to castor oil? Or was it just your lips?

Thanks!

Well vonstella, it's funny you should mention that. Actually, I didn't use a lot of products before with castor oil, so it wasn't too much of a problem elsewhere, except in my shampoo and conditioner. It was in both, and when I realized that it came to me that it might be responsible for how itchy my scalp, neck, and ears had been lately. I was very attached to my shampoo and conditioner so finding new ones was very painful, but in the end it worked out great because I discovered Pureology Volume (HG) and Alba Honeydew (HG), AND my itching went away!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Emma2006 wrote:

The best product I have found for dry lips is Lucas paw paw ointment. It comes in a red tube and is very cheap. Applying this every night during the Aussie winter has meant that my lips have stayed smooth and chap-free.

I have been trying the Lucas paw paw ointment on my lips (on top of Valmont Lip Repair) and so far I like it a lot but need to give it more time to be sure. I don't really know what the ingredients are? The tube and the company website only list the carica papaya (39mg/g) and potassium sorbate as preservative. It *seems* to be in a petroleum type base (?) That's not a problem for me anyway.

But I'm not at all happy to hear the B12/peeling lips connection Shock as I've just started doing B12 injections. I haven't noticed peeling lips as a side effect but I'll be watching for it now.
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
My lips generally don't peel on a day to day basis, but I find that if I am dehydrated at all, my lips are my first cue. When they start feeling chapped and dry, I know that I need to drink some water. It's amazing how quickly it seems to help too.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Clarks Botanicals Retinol Rescue Overnight Cream (50 ml) Decleor Orexcellence Energy Concentrate Youth Mask (50 ml) glominerals gloShimmer Brick - Luster (7.4 g / 0.26 oz)