Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Homemade DHCC - Almond Substitute? and OCM Help
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
digitalangel

Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Is it possible to substitue the almonds for a non-nut product instead as I'm allergic.

I don't see it working very well on my skin. Wink

I also want to try different oils for OCM and suggestions would be welcome!

Castor Oil I know is important but what do the other carrier oils do, act like?

I have pale, freckly skin which regrettably shows all the spots and blackheads I want to remove.

It's can be sensitive and is quite oily especially on the T-Zone.

Any other suggestions welcome as there's so much info on this forum, my head's going to explode! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
For the almond substitute, you can just use a mixture of fine and semi-ground oats, so the fine oats become the 'mucilage' of sorts and the semi-ground oats become the exfolianting particles.

I have used macadamia nut and seasame oils with castor oil, they work very well and don't leave a greasy feeling on the skin once dry.

You can also try hazelnut oil which is astringent and may help with reducing blemishes.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:23 am      Reply with quote
I second the Oats, they work really well. Very Happy

Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:25 am      Reply with quote
Any oats in particular?

I asusme I buy regular sized ones and grind myself?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi digitalangel,

Since you're allergic to nuts ... you'll want to avoid any of the nut oils in OCM.

The original information regarding OCM suggested Olive Oil ... which is very nourishing ... but I found it too "heavy". I use grapeseed oil ... and I don't think that grapeseed would be considered a nut oil.

Still there are lots of vegetable oils out there that aren't nut oils ... and just about any oil would work with OCM. It's more a matter of personal preference.

Good luck

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:07 am      Reply with quote
digitalangel wrote:
Any oats in particular?

I asusme I buy regular sized ones and grind myself?

A little cheap coffee grinder would work nicely. Also, you can try a blender (if you are using oats) but only if your blender is up to the job. [I'm trying to baby my blender right now so I would hesitate to use it to grind oats just 'cuz I don't want to burn out the motor until Christmas at least (I might have to cave this year and ask for a blender for Christmas. That's kind of like asking for a vaccum -- BOR-ING!).]

Just blend in small batches and see how it goes. Yes, you do want the whole oats but if you are in a pinch, you could use the instant oats. To make oats "instant", they just grind them to a smaller consistancy so that they cook faster.
digitalangel

Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:41 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the help.

Apricot Kernal has also been suggestion on another thread but the site I use says it shouldn't be used on the face.

Other options I can see are fine dead sea salt or Jojoba Peeling Grain.

I've just ordered (as cold pressed castor oil is nigh on impossoble to buy around here; even my health food shop's stockists don't have it) castor oil, grapeseed, coconut, jojoba and calendula oil to try.

Tomorrow I'll get the ACV toner and aspirin mask ingredients to try as well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know if I would try the salt on your face. The oats are a good suggestion I think because they are gentle and moisturizing much like almonds. I haven't heard of the jojoba grain before. Calendula oil sounds really great. You have me wanting to try it now! I can see how jojoba would be a good replacement. It's inexpensive and is very good for use on facial skin.

Good luck!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |