Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DH said "Let's Go West & Collect Some Wood"?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone
In early August my DH (who has a woodturning hobby) said he would like to go to western Queensland and collect some native timbers. I agreed thinking it would be one to two weeks. Nearly six weeks later and we are finally home. Apart from one short session when we went into town for supplies, I have not had access to a phone or internet. But when I did check the internet a couple of weeks ago I could not believe the message that I had won the Cellcosmet Gift Pack. I was just over the moon.
It will take me ages to catch up on all the new posts but in the meantime, have there been any major wows in skin care???
I am so glad that I took my Valmont Elixir with me as it saved my skin. Can't wait to place another order for some goodies and ask Magda to send my gift basket.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:32 am      Reply with quote
All I can say is WOW!! Native timbers for what? That in it self is a treat. Then to be gone, just gone for 6 weeks? I would be in heaven.When my husband and I go on vacation, it is not a day less than 15 days. What was it like? Tell me tell me tell me. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Welcome back, bushy. Very Happy

My stepmum's brother does woodturning and has made some glorious bowls using burred wood.

So did you manage to find some special pieces for him to create amazing stuff?
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
I know the trip may have sounded amazing to some but western Queensland at this time of the year is not all fun. We were living in our caravan and daytime temperatures were around 30 to 35 degrees C with the nights getting down to about 2 degrees C which is a huge variation but does contribute to a lot of cuddling up to stay warm.
My husband does a lot of woodturning and has won many prizes for things like bowls, vases and furniture. To date, he has relied on many common species such as silky oak, camphor laurel and red gum. Some of the timbers we collected are extremely hard (will easily blunt a saw in minutes) and include lancewood, ooline, mulga, coolibah, brigalow, dead finish, wilga, boree, sandalwood and some others I can't think of now. A lot of these timbers are even too hard for whiteants.
One of the nicest things that happen when you are camped in the bush are the visits by wildlife. I put out a couple of buckets of water and within a day many galahs, cockatoos, parrots, wallabies and kangaroos came in for a drink. One wallaby with a joey even got to the stage of accepting lettuce leaves from me.
Had a great time but it was nice to be home again with a few comforts.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
I know the trip may have sounded amazing to some but western Queensland at this time of the year is not all fun. We were living in our caravan and daytime temperatures were around 30 to 35 degrees C with the nights getting down to about 2 degrees C which is a huge variation but does contribute to a lot of cuddling up to stay warm.
My husband does a lot of woodturning and has won many prizes for things like bowls, vases and furniture. To date, he has relied on many common species such as silky oak, camphor laurel and red gum. Some of the timbers we collected are extremely hard (will easily blunt a saw in minutes) and include lancewood, ooline, mulga, coolibah, brigalow, dead finish, wilga, boree, sandalwood and some others I can't think of now. A lot of these timbers are even too hard for whiteants.
One of the nicest things that happen when you are camped in the bush are the visits by wildlife. I put out a couple of buckets of water and within a day many galahs, cockatoos, parrots, wallabies and kangaroos came in for a drink. One wallaby with a joey even got to the stage of accepting lettuce leaves from me.
Had a great time but it was nice to be home again with a few comforts.

Shock Wow. That sounds sooooo cool!!! I live in Colorado so I don't get to see cockatoos, parrots, wallabies and kangaroos except in the zoo or the petstore. So neat!
floatinglili
5% products discount

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! Were you staying in scrub, or camped out on a gravel-covered plain? I agree, western Qld (anywhere central in Aus, for that matter) is pretty much hardcore spiny anteater country.

He must be a charismatic bloke, personally all that red dust sticks in my throat after a while. Very Happy
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:18 am      Reply with quote
When we left home we had a white caravan and when we arrived back, it was brown. I gave up wiping things down and just learned to live with the dust. Once we left the main drag, all the tracks were either rough red gravel or bulldust. The manufacturers of our caravan would be horrified to know where we took it but they would also be amazed that it hung together. This picture was taken on the first stop before we really got into the bulldust.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Blimey, those woods sound really exotic to me! Don't have those in the good old UK!

I bet the sandalwood creations will be unbelievably fabulous. As well as the beauty of the wood, they'll hopefully smell wonderful too.

I did once make some bookends out of piranha wood at school. It had streaks of pinkish red running through it and was very beautiful.
floatinglili
5% products discount

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
Blimey, those woods sound really exotic to me! Don't have those in the good old UK!

I bet the sandalwood creations will be unbelievably fabulous. As well as the beauty of the wood, they'll hopefully smell wonderful too.

the famous woods of the UK! sooo romantic, so many legends!
The Australian bush is certainly beautiful, most particularly the water courses and gorges, but generally it has an austere beauty.

One of the biggest things for me when I went to the UK was the super-thick, super-green grass...(I know that sounds rather silly) but I had never seen grass like it in my life!! I had to climb a fence and roll in it with the cows!!!
akhl
5% products discount

Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
Hi Everyone
In early August my DH (who has a woodturning hobby) said he would like to go to western Queensland and collect some native timbers. I agreed thinking it would be one to two weeks. Nearly six weeks later and we are finally home. Apart from one short session when we went into town for supplies, I have not had access to a phone or internet. But when I did check the internet a couple of weeks ago I could not believe the message that I had won the Cellcosmet Gift Pack. I was just over the moon.
It will take me ages to catch up on all the new posts but in the meantime, have there been any major wows in skin care???
I am so glad that I took my Valmont Elixir with me as it saved my skin. Can't wait to place another order for some goodies and ask Magda to send my gift basket.

I love the Valmont L'Elixir cream so much. But it is so expensive.
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Can you do that in Australia? Just go into the wilderness and start collecting wood?

Aren't some types of Sandalwood endangered? In the US, each state has a Department of Parks and Wildlife which makes sure you don't take home fish that are too small, don't make campfires where you shouldn't, etc. Just hope you're following all of Australia's rules as regards to flora and fauna.
floatinglili
5% products discount

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
RMB wrote:
Can you do that in Australia? Just go into the wilderness and start collecting wood?

Aren't some types of Sandalwood endangered? In the US, each state has a Department of Parks and Wildlife which makes sure you don't take home fish that are too small, don't make campfires where you shouldn't, etc. Just hope you're following all of Australia's rules as regards to flora and fauna.

nah, there are plenty of rules relating to Australian flora and fauna protection, we have (what seems to me as ) a fairly well-managed / motivated national parks system, and I would say that overall, we are a pretty environmentally aware bunch!
however, the interior is extremely sparsely populated, as it is rather an unforgiving place to be, it's a desert basically, and while there are great swathes of national parks even in the interior, there are also large tracts of 'farmland'. Very marginal farmland, I have to say...and I'm a farmer's daughter!
Because of the extremely isolated nature of the bush, most farmers won't begrudge a traveller moving through their blocks (as long as they close all the gates!).
Also, the reality is that governments really can't prevent travellers from picking up dead wood from the side of the road outside national parks, as they are rarely able to police these distant areas.
I mean, if your car breaks down, it is likely you'll die of thirst! Tourists can and do die tragically like this!
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
Many farmers cut trees down to feed stock in the droughts particularly gidyea and mulga as these are reasonable fodder and these trees regrow very quickly. Gidyea was another timber we collected which is also as hard as nails. Timbers in the national parks are protected and it is only in rare cases that licenses are issued for the collection of some species that have fallen over through old age or natural disasters. The recent cyclone at Innisfail destroyed many areas of rainforest and all the timbers that have been knocked over will remain on the ground.
I sometimes collect seeds from unusual trees and try to get them growing at home. I only occasionally succeed. We live on a very large block which is full of native trees and shrubs. I also planted a Wollemi pine (the dinasaur tree) a few months back which is growing well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:09 am      Reply with quote
[quote="floatinglili] the famous woods of the UK! sooo romantic, so many legends!
The Australian bush is certainly beautiful, most particularly the water courses and gorges, but generally it has an austere beauty.

One of the biggest things for me when I went to the UK was the super-thick, super-green grass...(I know that sounds rather silly) but I had never seen grass like it in my life!! I had to climb a fence and roll in it with the cows!!![/quote]

Actually, I live not far from the famous Sherwood Forest of Robin Hood fame these days! Laughing The Major Oak, which is where Robin and his Merry Men are supposed to have congregated is still there - very old and very wide. It's propped up these days to protect it from falling.

The part of England where I come from, however, is more known for it's pine forests, heather and bracken. Not terribly lush, but sparse, wild and largely unpopulated.

As for rolling around on the grass with the cows, I do hope you kept an eye where you were rolling! Those cows do have a tendency for leaving nice little "presents" everywhere! Laughing
floatinglili
5% products discount

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing "presents"! Laughing
I know I looked ridiculous, but I couldn't help it! I'm from the country originally, maybe that was the reason for it.

Of course, Australian's legends are also interesting, but they are very different in nature.

There are plenty of interesting stories relating to convict and early settler days, but the real legends are very different, coming from Aboriginal stories that rely heavily on beautiful animal magic with characters like "Brolga People" and "Crocodile Men"!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:59 am      Reply with quote
Oh, yes, I've heard of some amazing and definitely lyrically beautiful Aboriginal legends. I think you have a fantastic country.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |