Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Cant use Vitamin C, Citrus Acid, Aloe Vera at daytime??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry to disturb here.

Last week, I watched a local beauty show and I was shocked to know that we cant use products containing Vitamin C, Citrus Acid or Aloe Vera in the morning due to sun exposure.

The show didnt state clearly why we cant use them at a.m, so I do some searching in the web. I found that there are many products with any of the three ingredients, which are recommended to use at daytime. Tha's why I am quite confuse, either the show is giving the wrong information or I heard it wrong.

And, regarding the Aloe Vera, I know there are quite a lot of subclocks or lip balms with SPF protection also use Aloe Vera as one of its ingredients. So, I am really confused now.

Currently, I am using a moisturizer whitening day cream with SPF 30 which contains Vitamin C Ester skin whitener, grape seed and gingko biloba extract, jojoba oil and natural vitamin E, citric acid. I have some stocks of it. Feel so sad if I have to stop using it as I have to starve in order to get myself another new moisturizer. I also use FOTE Aloe Vera gel in the morning.

I read in the thread http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11403&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 that some of you are using Vitamin C product or Vitamin C serum in the morning. I hope you could point me out if I have the wrong information here.

Please correct me if I am wrong.... so confused now
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Handsbella

You're absolutely right Smile They are absolutely wrong Shock

Of course we use anti-oxidants in the daytime to protect against free radical damage and soothing bio oils are good too.

Citric acid wouldn't be too good to put on your face in the daytime if there was a lot of it, but I imagine there's very little in your product because it's way down on the ingredients list.
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
Hi Handsbella

You're absolutely right Smile They are absolutely wrong Shock

Of course we use anti-oxidants in the daytime to protect against free radical damage and soothing bio oils are good too.

Citric acid wouldn't be too good to put on your face in the daytime if there was a lot of it, but I imagine there's very little in your product because it's way down on the ingredients list.

Hello, Molly, thanks for your reply.

Sorry, Molly, when you said "They are absolutely wrong", you refer "they" as the beauty show or the thread forumers? Sorry, I am confused, hope you dont mind.

Hmmm... how to know whether the amount of citric acid is in a resonable level to be used at daytime? The product only lists Vitamin C Ester skin whitener, grape seed and gingko biloba extract, jojoba oil and natural vitamin E in the front of box but I can see that citric acid is printed as the last ingredient at the full ingredient list. It also included the Orange Oil as one of its ingredients.

May I know the normal Vitamin C serum that you all use are from Vitamin C Ester?

Does it mean that Vitamin C and orange oil is a form of citric acid?

Is there anybody use Vitamin C serum in daytime? I guess serum means higher concentration of Vitamin C compared to the amount of Vitamin C in a moisturizer, right? Mind to share your experience and usage of Vitamin C? Please...

I am quite worried, I just can blame myself for not having enough knowledge about this....
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi
I mean the show is wrong.

Citric acid is only used as a PH adjuster so like with preservatives there is only the tiniest speck of it in the whole bottle so a nano-speck will be on your face. You know how little there is because the ingredients list of any product goes from most to least.

I think most of us use L-Ascorbic rather than C-ester products. Again if the C-ester is lower down your list you may have very little in your product. Vit C is very beneficial to use during the day because it is a UV protective anti-oxidant, ie. it neutralises free radicals caused by UV radiation. Nearly all of us use it during the daytime.

Quote:
Does it mean that Vitamin C and orange oil is a form of citric acid?
No, they are seperate ingredients.

There's absolutely no need to worry about what that show said - it's rubbish. There's nothing I can see that is harmful to use during the daytime in your product.

Just search with the top right button or scroll down and you'll find there are many discussions about Vit C usage.
Here's something on another site about Vit C
http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/vitc.html
HTH Molly
milodomi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
i've only heard of retinol can't be used during day time..and yes lots of day products contain those ingredients, maybe they were mixed up with vit A/retinol and vit c??
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:37 pm      Reply with quote
plus Aloe Vera has anti-inflammatory properties so that's a great thing to wear in the sun.

Yes, there's some confusion here. I find it hard to believe they meant any of this.
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:54 am      Reply with quote
If I recall correctly, Vitamin C Ester is the softest (I mean the most weak in its strength) among the many forms of Vitamin C, am I right?

I read somewhere else that L-Ascorbic is stronger than Vitamin C Ester, so I guess if people can use L-Ascorbic as their Vit. C Serum during daytime, I cant see any reason why I cant use the Vit. C Ester during daytime.

How to know if my skin reacts negatively to the citric acid? I mean what are the symptoms?

Molly, sorry, my English is a few levels lower than you, do you mean either vit A/retinol or vit c can be used at daytime?
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:14 am      Reply with quote
C-ester is used in a neutral base and L-Ascorbic in an acid base so C-ester is gentler on the skin.

It's extremely unlikely that you will react to the Citric acid. It is last on the ingredient list which means there is a minimal; very, very, very small amount of it - almost nothing.

Retin A/Retinol *shouldn't* be used during the day because it can make you sensitive to the sun. Vitamin C *should* be used during the day because it protects from damage caused by the sun.

My Chinese isn't too good either.

Molly Smile
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I read in the article and it tells the different from what we discuss here, so counfused.

http://www.smartskincare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194&highlight=night

Dr Todorov stated that:

Quote:
direct sunlight or even daylight will accelerate vitamin C degradation.
night application of anything degradable by sunlight is better.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:25 am      Reply with quote
Yes, but you want it at maximum levels in your skin during the day for UV protection so OK, it's degrading, but it's protecting too. Degrading doesn't mean in a harmful way either. If you were just using it to stimulate collagen production then you might want to use it at night, but we mostly use it for protection.

You'll find there are differing opinions on use of lots of active ingredients, especially among the 'experts', but basically the function of C is the same; UV protection and collagen stimulation. Use it how you like. It's not harmful to wear during the day.
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:52 am      Reply with quote
Handsbella, a lot of companies recommend to use vit C in am routine followed by s/s. You can take a look here:

http://www.skinceuticals.com/regimes.asp?regimeID=1

I think it really doesn't matter when you use your vitC because the effect of single application lasts for 24-48 hours, so if you are not comfortable with am use, you can use it in the evening and get the same benefits. Wink
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
May I ask? After you put your C Serum, do you wash it off after a while? Because I know that Vitamin C will be oxidized easily once it is exposed to the air. And the already-oxidized Vitamin C tends to do more harm than good to our skin. Please forgive me if I am wrong...

Did your C Serum contains any Citric Acid?

May I know after I put on my toner, how long do I need to wait for before applying C Serum?
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:35 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, some more questions...

May I ask? After you put your C Serum, do you wash it off after a while? Because I know that Vitamin C will be oxidized easily once it is exposed to the air. And the already-oxidized Vitamin C tends to do more harm than good to our skin. Please forgive me if I am wrong...

Did your C Serum contains any Citric Acid?

May I know after I put on my toner, how long do I need to wait for before applying C Serum? And how long do I need to wait before applying the sunscreen or anything after the C Serum?
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:26 am      Reply with quote
I use ISC Proheal which contains both L'ascorbic acid and retinol. Once Vit C is absorbed it cannot be washed or rubbed off so the answer to your question would be no. I don't usually wait, but I'm sure it's better if you wait until your skin is dry and not still damp with toner. I don't think you have to wait with just Vit C, but I guess it's best if you don't start layering things on while your skin is still damp from it, at least wait a few minutes until it gets absorbed into your skin. After that it won't make a difference because it cannot be rubbed off.

HTH
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |