Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Review: Alterna Hemp Hydrate Conditioner
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
I had wanted to try the Alterna hair products for a long time, having read about their caviar and white truffle ranges. I went to a salon and was adviced to pick the Hemp Hydrate Conditioner for my dry, coloured hair. I was absolutely sold on the ingredient list which features the hemp oil (naturally) and Superoxide Dismutase, Carrot Root Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein to mention a few goodies. It also has a mixture of interesting natural ingredients. I was told this could be used as a daily conditioner (leave in 3-5 minutes) or a weekly treatment (20 minutes). I have tried both and either way; this product does just not deliver any moisture at all. My hair is as dry as ever after I wash it out. I thought my hair was beyond repair at the moment untill I found some other products that worked a treat.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
Perhaps it had too much protein in it. Sometimes when your hair needs moisture, more protein can make it brittle and snarly. Generally products with lots of oils (olive, avocado, apricot, meadowfoam seed, almond, etc) are the ones that are going to moisturize. I won't generally have luck with a product if it has more than one protein ingredient.

My hairdresser just told me, though, that if you use products containing a lot of oil, that you have to be careful about flatironing since oils can 'sit' on hair. Putting the heat of the flatiron will actually make it sizzle, in effect deep frying your hair. So, before you flatiron, you need to use protein to protect it.

Me, I just try not to flatiron...
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Spooky this; I was just thinking as I submitted my review that I should perhaps not have mentioned the wheat protein as it is so far down the ingredient list. I have the same issue with proteins, they make my hair stronger, but not softer. I did mention to the hair dresser that I did not want a protein treatment as I already have Bumble and Bumble Deep and Nexxus Emergencee Treatment and she insisted this would shower my hair with moisture. Anyway, it did not make my hair feel strong and coarse like proteins do, it just made absolutely no difference at all...
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:49 am      Reply with quote
I am addicted to my hair masks...I buy lots of them and my favorite is Pantene 3min Mask (the one that claims to repair 3 months of damage in 3 minutes)...I dont know about all that but it does nourish my hair and leave it really soft. My hair stylist notices if I stop using it. I also like Kerastase Chrome mask (for color treated hair) but it is not as good as my pantene and it costs $60! Ojon was nice too but again...expensive and not as good as the cheap stuff.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:47 am      Reply with quote
My favorite is the Dark and Lovely Cholesterol Treatment. It really moisturises my hair and is so cheap - I put lots in.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
Olivia wrote:
I am addicted to my hair masks...I buy lots of them and my favorite is Pantene 3min Mask (the one that claims to repair 3 months of damage in 3 minutes)...I dont know about all that but it does nourish my hair and leave it really soft. My hair stylist notices if I stop using it. I also like Kerastase Chrome mask (for color treated hair) but it is not as good as my pantene and it costs $60! Ojon was nice too but again...expensive and not as good as the cheap stuff.

Have you ever tried the Neutrogena Triple Moisture mask? It's my favorite. Other masks are more expensive and I can't imagine them working better than this one! It makes my hair shiny and soft right down to the ends. I stopped using it for awhile, and my hair went dry. I used it three days in a row after getting a nice layered cut-- it didn't build up and my hair is totally repaired.
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
I havent tried Neutogena but I will now! Thanks for the tip. I'm not convinced that expensive is better.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
Same here, I found that with hair care.
milodomi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
i've tried a few products by alterna but wasn't too impressed..their products are not cheap and i don't really like them so heavily fragranced
i prefer nioxin or bumble n bumble treatment line..they work better on my hair
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
So, I am not the only one who is not impressed with the Alterna line then... I tend to think you pay for quality, but somehow this has not been the case with hair products.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |