Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
SK-II withdrawn after "violent incidents"
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:32 am      Reply with quote
Just heard on the radio news that Proctor & Gamble have pulled all SK-II products off the market in China after “violent incidents” at several SK-II counters.

Apparently there’s been some controversy in China over the past year regarding certain SK-II advertising claims and ingredients. P & G maintains there are no safety issues but has withdrawn SK-II anyway.

"Violent incidents" at skincare counters?? Shock
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:44 am      Reply with quote
Wow I wonder what the violent incidents are and what claims P&G have made to instigate the "violent incidents" Question

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:17 am      Reply with quote
Seems SK-II was doing a product recall in China due to the presence of neodymium and chromium in some products.

P & G had set up refund centres, and apparently were requiring customers to sign an agreement acknowledging that the products were safe, before being given the refund. I imagine this may have upset some people ?

Well, who knows what’s true, but I got this info from Reuters and other news sites.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
goodness. Thankfully, it's not happening in the countries most of us are in.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
From the reports I read, at some SKII counters, P&G required letters from doctors/hospitals to prove that the customers were allergic to their products before they could get any refund. I cannot image anything like this would happen in the US. People paid lots of money for SKII but their CS was really unreasonable. Of course they got mad..

Now all in a sudden, P&G withdrawed all the SKII counters in China and customers have to call a hot-line for refunds. Who knows how long it will take before the customers can get their money back.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:40 am      Reply with quote
From my morning paper -

"..... In Shanghai yesterday, nearly 20 people smashed the glass doors of P&G's office in the city after they were told the refund centre had stopped processing claims.

The violence followed a similar incident on Thursday when hundreds of people pushed, shouted and broke a door in a downtown office building where returns were being accepted. A day earlier, police were called to disperse another angry mob at the Park Hotel, another site for returns.

Wang Jun, SK-II's public relations manager in Guangzhou, confirmed some staff had been attacked over the past few days at counters in several big cities, including Shanghai.

"Some staff were robbed and some people even took our staff away from the counter to try to force refunds. There were no serious injuries," Mr Wang said..... "

Very strange. Somehow I think there's more to this whole story than meets the eye.

Anyway, it's a PR nightmare for P & G all over Asia at the moment as SK-II is very popular.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
nothing seems changed to the SK-II counter here in holt refrew
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
SKII is a Japanese brand (isn't it? Laughing)... so keep in mind the anti-Japanese "riots" in Shanghai and other locations in China last year and the reaction is not surprising. I would suspect that besides the mess with the brand, that the company orgin also comes into pass.

Why is it all the juicy stuff happens when I go away...

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
but to be fair.. we have to wonder why not ALL SK-II products are available in the US or Canada. There must be something in their products that don't meet US/Cdn standards??

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
amaska wrote:
but to be fair.. we have to wonder why not ALL SK-II products are available in the US or Canada. There must be something in their products that don't meet US/Cdn standards??

i'd rather believe it is true and wont take the risk of trying the rest of their products.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:33 am      Reply with quote
I very much doubt there is any danger in using SK-II products. Standards vary from country to country and, from what I've read, the levels of neodymium and chromium found in the tested SK-II products are considered fine in the EU and many other parts of the world. Just guessing, but I suspect if all skincare lines on sale in China (and elsewhere) were tested thoroughly there would be much bigger things to worry about.

Many journalists and commentators have suggested the whole SK-II fiasco was politically motivated. Nonetheless, P & G could certainly have handled the situation better on the PR side.
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
yeh this is definitely a tricky situation.

After reading up on both Western sources and Asian sources, the gist of the story I got was that SK-II was accused of containing heavy metals (chromium) that did not comply with standards. Of course, the media picked this up and so did the Chinese public, who freaked out. This is a very natural reaction, think of the spinach freakout in the States! Even my professor told us to not eat spinach, and I am in Canada! So the Chinese public attempts to get refunds, which P&G allowed in the beginning. Then P&G asked for evidence and a through search into this accusation (which is also natural), but the mistake in terms of PR that P&G made is to stop refunding from counters and only allow refunds over a hotline. This, of course, sets up a barrier to a smooth refund process, which angered the Chinese public (who naturally assumes P&G is guilty), hence the resulting riots. The problem here is not whether or not the product is safe, but how P&G dealt with it. The guy responsible got fired for his bad PR decisions.

Asked my dear bf about the incident (he is in business) and he said that for P&G to pull out the entire SK-II line is not as drastic as it may seem. It is only a brand name. P&G owns practically everything. Once they remove this much damaged name, they'll probably bring in something else. It costs less to launch and promote new lines than to maintain a reputation damaged line.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:15 am      Reply with quote
it sounds like a competitor's ploy, but maybe it's true. my friend's wife who lives in the states took all her SK-II products to the neiman marcus or saks counter (i forget which one) and they refunded her everything. she then purchased cle de peau as a replacement. i don't know if i would do the same, i probably wouldn't, seems drastic to me.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |