Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Am I being a product snob? advice please.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
The one thing I've learned from being a member here is that it's the ingredients that count, not the brand name. Price is indicative of nothing - except, perhaps, packaging and marketing.

Absolutely agree, Very well stated Kelilu! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:52 am      Reply with quote
i have to confess i am brand conscious myself. but i do understand how you feel. i agree with some of the girls that ingredients are very important. Hence I also pick natural based products as those are harder to extract/produce as compared to the chemical mixes which are artificial.

Trust your gut feel and decide if you should return and try it.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:59 am      Reply with quote
jumbosstar42 wrote:
i have to confess i am brand conscious myself. but i do understand how you feel. i agree with some of the girls that ingredients are very important. Hence I also pick natural based products as those are harder to extract/produce as compared to the chemical mixes which are artificial.

Trust your gut feel and decide if you should return and try it.

One thing I have seen over my 56 years is Brand name quality go way down hill, yet those prices just keep going up. I find many less well known brands with ingredients that are just as good if not better for a much lower price, they just don't put a fortune in to ad campaigns and fancy packaging that does nothing for my skin. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:01 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon I do agree with you on that. I guess for me... I am also a sucker for packaging. As long as the packaging looks good, classy and the ingredients are good... plus reviews from people... I think I will easily be sold! Guess that is the huge advantage of the internet. Besides having access to many brands and at cheaper prices, we also get to compare, research and check out reviews on the products before our purchases.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:20 am      Reply with quote
jumbosstar42 wrote:
DarkMoon I do agree with you on that. I guess for me... I am also a sucker for packaging. As long as the packaging looks good, classy and the ingredients are good... plus reviews from people... I think I will easily be sold! Guess that is the huge advantage of the internet. Besides having access to many brands and at cheaper prices, we also get to compare, research and check out reviews on the products before our purchases.

I agree with everything jumbosstar, except I managed to get over the packaging as long as it's functional and properly protects the product that's good enough for me. I just am tired of paying for pretty packages instead of the quality of the ingredients and the formula. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
jumbosstar42 wrote:

I agree with everything jumbosstar, except I managed to get over the packaging as long as it's functional and properly protects the product that's good enough for me. I just am tired of paying for pretty packages instead of the quality of the ingredients and the formula. Very Happy

I agree with the packaging comment also.
Usually most of the items I get, the packaging is very plain.

I think if packging is that important, you could keep a nice jar and clean it well and put the product that has the "ugly" packaging in that- depending if it is ok to do that.

A lot of items I buy like cometics,food ect the stores have very minimal packaging as they are small businesses.

Also, you never know if something with a plain packaging might be a great item!
I know I bought some strange looking bar of soap at a furniture shop and it was packaged in some kind of straw/canvas bag (good for the environment I guess...)
The soap was actually quite nice and an olive oil soap (you can find those at most health food stores,but this one was middle eastern/arabic).

But,
the looks of cosmetics do matter to a lot of people- or else Sephora would be out of business.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Much of this has to do with status and the perception of luxury. It is no coincidence that Asian cultures like Japan and China (who are very status orientated) are the biggest purchasers of luxury lines such as Gucci and Louis Vuitton. Many of the high end skincare companies pitch to these countries also, which is why there are so many skin brightening creams around.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:16 am      Reply with quote
I have to agree that asians are suckers for packaging... especially in the Japanese market. But Japan is a whole different ballgame altogether. Their products are all generally of high quality AND they look Great! It's all about their culture and integrity of their product quality.

I also want to point out how I detest SKII for it's huge popularity in Asia. The mass advertising and celebrity endorsement really pay off for them. Their packaging isn't even fancy. But the A & P is enough to make Asians believe their product quality and effectiveness. I don't think SKII is big in America or Canada right?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:45 am      Reply with quote
jumbosstar42 wrote:
I also want to point out how I detest SKII for it's huge popularity in Asia. The mass advertising and celebrity endorsement really pay off for them. Their packaging isn't even fancy. But the A & P is enough to make Asians believe their product quality and effectiveness. I don't think SKII is big in America or Canada right?

SKII is made by Max Factor - but it uses the whole Japanese/Saki connection in its advertising - very clever marketing. I always thought it was a Japanese product. In Australia, it's pretty high end.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:43 am      Reply with quote
Max Factor is American right? Wow... I too thought it was from Japan!!!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Smashbox is another Max Factor brand unless I am mistaken? They are big on the we do the celebrity shoots out in California!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:32 am      Reply with quote
I used to go for brand name stuff because I didn't know better and the ads always say how great their product is. THat is until you go to a beautician and then start getting interested in what's actually going on with your skin.

Then when you have shocking acne, you REALLY become interested in your skin.

I go by ingredients and if I'm ever unsure I revert to being a nerd and look for reviews online like this fine site! Makeupalley.com is also another good site to go to.

I find that other people's reviews are really helpful in trying new products!

Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |