Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Butylene Glycol-Propylene Glycol any differnece for C serum
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:36 am      Reply with quote
What is the main difference between BG and PG? Some C serums (Cellular Skin RX 12%) use BG as a base while others (Diana Yvonne 12%, Vivier 10%, 20%) use PG. Is one better than the other for C serums? Or does it not matter?

Also, could anyone compare any of the above C serums in terms of texture, benefits, stability or personal preference?
TIA
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:00 am      Reply with quote
I currently have a CSRX 12%, a High-Potency, and a Skinceuticals 15. The CSRX is nothing like the latter two.

I'll try to describe it:

It looks like and feels like that thick, clear mucous you get as you start or recover from a cold. The only difference I would say is that the CSRX is a bit more viscous / lacks the elasticity of mucous where it can snap back from your tissue and hit you in the face.

The CSRX feels warm to the touch. I imagine it's the C. However, there is no sting. Unlike with water-based serums where I feel pricking sensations on my face. I think the formulation is so substantial that it acts like a giant blanket and quashes all forest fires (irritations).

I say this because the CSRX smells like something flammable. I don't have a zippo or often light barbecue grills, so I don't remember what lighter fluid smells like. But in a faint corner of memory, something tells me the two smell similar.

This is the main reason why I'm not liking the CSRX, and probably BG in general. The smell. It's just not something you'd think would be safe on your face.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:03 am      Reply with quote
mucous....lighter fluid...... Shock

I must say RMB I am not to inspired to try the Cellular Skin RX after reading your post. Maybe one of the Cellular Skin fans on our forum will have a different point of view.
I tried a sample of the Vivier 10% C serum and while I don't think it would be similar to the Skinceuticles or Cellex-C, I don't recall it smelling like lighter fluid but it does have a slight amount of fragrance added. Hopefully someone else will comment of some of these C serums!
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Theresa,

I remember reading you have extremely sensitive skin. If that's the case, then you might be interested in the CSRX. The Cellex-C and Skinceuticals really sting my non-sensitive skin, so they might irritate your skin.

I didn't like the CSRX because of the feel and smell, but it did not bother my skin one bit. You might have to put up with the greasy texture and unpleasant smell for the benefits of a non-irritating C.

I didn't know you were contemplating using a dedicated C serum, I thought you just wanted some research material. If I had known, I would have mentioned the sensitivity aspect before. So, I actually think CSRX might work for you.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:18 am      Reply with quote
RMB I just started using the IS Clinical 15% C serum and that only stung a very little bit when I put it on. Before that I used Proheal and that only stung my skin if it was already irritated from something else. I just went through a sample of the Cellex C Advanced C serum and that stung a little when I first applied it.

My skin did seem a little irritated in the week that I sampled the Cellex-C but I am not sure if that is due to the C serum or to the fact that I started using my MaMa lotion more frequently. I think part of the problem might be that the Cellex-C is somewhat drying which is not working well with my very low humidity environment. I will see if the ISC 15% irritates my skin. I just started using it and it is too soon to tell. The Proheal did not irritate my skin despite the C and 1% retinol. I honestly have been very surprised at how well my skin has tolerated C serums in general since I seem to have bad reactions to so many products and to other actives such as AHAs and BHAs.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:27 am      Reply with quote
The BG and PG formulas are pretty much the same. There is not much difference between BG and PG. Both are used frequently though the BG is supposed to be less irritating for folks who might be irritated by a PG base.

I've used the Cellular Skin Rx C for years now. I do not notice any offensive smell (though BG/PG do have a slight rubbery smell). It has never bothered me. As for the consistency - it very slippery. A few drops will cover your whole face. Within about 1 minute it soaks in and then there is nothing left - no residue, oiliness, stickiness,etc. I do not find it thick or gel-like at all.

The Vivier has been used by many here but not me so I can't compare with it. I have used the skinceuticals, Cellex-C and Avon C. The first two were thinner and more drying (the water in the formula causes this I think) and quite a bit more expensive and the Avon was just too sticky for my taste.

Cellular Skin Rx does sell samples of their C if you wanted to test it first. I think samples of the others can also be had via ebay.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
betterat40 I was hoping that you would see my post!

It is good to know that BG may be less irritating. I have used products with both BG and PG and have not experienced any irritation from either ingredient but perhaps it will matter when using a product that has such a high percentage of one or the other.

I like the texture of the Vivier. If anything I prefer it to the more watery serums even though I have oily skin. Athough the watery serums are generally recommended for oily skin I don't like the idea of putting a C serum on and waiting 15 min. and then moisturizing. I think that in my low humidity environment that is just inviting dehydration. I also think that the PG or BG based serums are more stable. I am thinking that the Cellular Skin and Diana Yvonne ones would be similar in texture but am not sure. Hopefully someone can compare them. I will also try to get samples.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |