Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
mineral make-up
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
tthagen1
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
can someone explain to me what the benefits are of mineral make-up. I have read and heard so much about it, but I have never tried it. Is the foundation easy to use and is it very good for dry skin?

I would love some honest input on this.

thank you all
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
It is my personal opinion that MMU is not that great for dry skin. Maybe it's just me, but I've tried a bunch of different brands, and they all seem to suck the moisture right out of my skin! Like an anti-humectant, you know? I've gone back to a cream foundation and my skin is SO much happier.

(I have combination-to-normal/sensitive skin)
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
I have dry skin and if I don't moisturize properly, then my MMU looks awful. Like I'm wearing some sort of powder mask. HOWEVER. If I moisturize properly, it looks fantastic.

tthagen1, if you're looking for more info, just search MMU (or even a particular brand you're interested in) here on EDS and a wealth of info will come up. MMU is widely discussed!
tthagen1
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
THANK YOU SO MUCH, I WILL DO SOME INVESTIGATING
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
I moisturize then mix my MMU with a few drops of my moisturizer in my hand which makes it a cream foundation and I apply it with my fingers. It could also be applied with a foundation brush that way. Then it is no different then the liquid and cream foundations out there cause they are just pigment and emulsified oils and preservatives etc. This way it can be made fresh and you can adjust the thickness of it for heavier or lighter coverage if you just want a tinted moisturizer. I do notice that if I have any dry skin areas the makeup is noticeable there, like around my nose etc. Certainly need more exfoliation and moisturizer to wear MMU.

Some of the benefits of MMU is that they are inert and the powders are not going to get contaminated or go bad as long as they are kept dry. There is no organic material in them for bacteria to grow or spoil it. Also because of that they don't need any preservatives so your skin is not ingesting those. They also don't have any emulsifiers or petroleum by-products or talc which can be dangerous and stretches pores. It is also non clogging to the pores, hypo-allergenic, good and soothing for most sensitive skins with the zinc, anti-bacterial, sits on top of the skin and doesn't sink in and get into the body, and it is a physical sunscreen protecting and blocking UV rays. It's also versatile and any of the powders can be used around the eye area and vice versa. The downsides are the limited colors, textures and ease of applying it and it can get messy if you are not careful. And a learning curve of working with loose powders I guess. It's basically non-toxic though which is the biggest plus.
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
I am also very curious about minerals makeup....especially Bare Minerals.
debbied
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
hi all! If you're new to MMU, don't buy the full size product but try samples. Most MMU lines have samples for sale or Every Day Minerals has a sample set for free. I made the mistake of buying full size without trying and wasted a bunch of money.
Remember to moisturize extra well, but especially so with dry skin.
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry to be silly, but what is MMU? Thanks!
liangzhiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
MMU means Mineral makeup.

I also personally agree that MMU is not good for dry skin, at least mine, especially in winter. Otherwise, it is fantastic. I even tried put on moisturizing mask every night, followed by rosehip oil, and I use La Mer in the morning which is regarded to be one of the most moisturizing cream. But these don't help to prevent getting my skin dry after MMU, worse in the afternoon. It is just early winter where I live.
But I found one liquid MMU from IJ which contains HA. I think it should be a bit different from those powder base MMU. Has anyone tried it?
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
i think perhaps we could mix it with a rich day cream to make a wonderful foudation.
Laughing
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
bex wrote:
I am also very curious about minerals makeup....especially Bare Minerals.

me too before i purchase my first mmu foudation,not to waste my money i think i will mix it with my richest cream during this winter
Sad
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:41 am      Reply with quote
I started out with samples, which helped a bunch. Being able to apply the MMU myself several times let me experiment not only with colors, but also moisturizer, timing, etc. I find that if I apply moisturizer (or moisturizer/sunscreen product) 30-45 minutes before MMU, the MMU goes on smoothly and my skin doesn't look dry, and pores don't show as much. Admitting that when I first started MMU, my pores were a mess, but using better products and maybe the MMU itself have helped improve my skin's overall condition to the MMU looks even better on now.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:48 am      Reply with quote
I thought the same thing when I first starting trying it. But now that I have experiemented and have the techique down on the application, I have a great coverage and a great brand...I would never use anything else. I do think MMU is a trial and error until you find the right one for your skin. Please do a search on Mineral Makeup on the site, you will find lots of people who love it and will offer suggestions on which one. I use TRUE MMU and would never use anything else. Good luck
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:08 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |