Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Retin-A
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
I heard that it is unsafe to use Retin-A on a regular basis over a period of time. What's the safe timeline?
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Ive never heard its unsafe, only that you need to take extra care when in the sun. It does lose it effectiveness over time but you can always move to a higher strength or discontinue use for a while and start again.
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
I heard that it thins your skin and can actually make your skin slough away real easy (like on your legs). Now I only use it as a mask ( I put it on my face like a mask for about 15 minutes and rinse it off) once a week or every other week instead of everyday. Thanks!
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
bex,

Retin-a does help exfoliate the top layer of your skin while it helps thickens the skin from underneath by increasing collagen production. IMO, you are not using retin a to its advantage at all if you are only using it every other week for 15 minutes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the advice!!! I got that tip in a spa....lol! So it's safe to use Retin-A everyday? Thanks again mtview!
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:05 am      Reply with quote
bex it is saft to use RetinA everyday as long as you don't experience any irritation and use a good sunscreen. You may experience some irritation when you first start using it but that should subside.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:10 am      Reply with quote
bex wrote:
I heard that it thins your skin and can actually make your skin slough away real easy (like on your legs). Now I only use it as a mask ( I put it on my face like a mask for about 15 minutes and rinse it off) once a week or every other week instead of everyday. Thanks!

Bex- Retin-A is not a "quick fix", it takes up to 6-8 months to see real effects. The longer you use it the better your skin looks. I agree with mtview that if you are only using it as a mask, you may get slight exfoliation but not the good long term effects, and using it that way might increase sensitivity in your skin b/c its not getting a chance to get use to it. Just my opinion.
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:31 am      Reply with quote
Thanks EVERYONE for your opinions...I greatly appreciate them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:47 am      Reply with quote
I don't believe that retin-a losses its effectiveness. Like all skincare products, you get great benifit at first (because your skin is in worse condition) the better and better your skin gets, the less room there is for improvement. The differences are less noticable because you have already seen great improvement, not because the product isn't working as well.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
abejita wrote:
I don't believe that retin-a losses its effectiveness. Like all skincare products, you get great benifit at first (because your skin is in worse condition) the better and better your skin gets, the less room there is for improvement. The differences are less noticable because you have already seen great improvement, not because the product isn't working as well.

Thats what I was told by my Derm. Thats why its recommened that women use it for 24 months and then stop for a few weeks. If you google it you can find some articles on this topic.
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks vonstella for the comments! How long are you supposed to stop using it? Do you apply it before any other creams? You do have to wait at least 20 minutes after washing your face to aplly it right?
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
bex wrote:
Thanks vonstella for the comments! How long are you supposed to stop using it? Do you apply it before any other creams? You do have to wait at least 20 minutes after washing your face to aplly it right?

I have read a few weeks, you can google it and get some more info or just ask your derm, and yes, like the instructions say, you wait about 30 min after washing to apply to minimize irritation. You also want to put it on first, then after it absorbs you can apply a moisturizer if you like.
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks again vonstella! I just picked up Retin-A....close to $100!!!! I paid about $55 for it last year. It's definitely worth it.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
bex wrote:
Thanks again vonstella! I just picked up Retin-A....close to $100!!!! I paid about $55 for it last year. It's definitely worth it.

WHAT???!!!! 100 dollars? Did you buy it on the Black Market? I pay a $5 co-pay.
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
No...at Wal_Grens...insurance doesn't cover it if you're over 25!!!!!!!!! Can you believe that? Vonstella...do you mind telling me your skin routine rundown? Thanks!
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
bex wrote:
No...at Wal_Grens...insurance doesn't cover it if you're over 25!!!!!!!!! Can you believe that? Vonstella...do you mind telling me your skin routine rundown? Thanks!

I have never heard that before. Im 25 and my insurance covers it. I have Blue Cross. I would *really* double check that if I were you. Did you at least ask for the generic brand?

As far as my skin routine...<<sigh>>...Im still recovering from my "run in" with DR.HCC. We did NOT like each other, so my skin sucks right now.

AM:
OCM or a gentle face wash
ACV toner
Jojoba oil

PM:
OCM
ACV
Retin-A

Twice a week I use Fresh Umberian Clay Treatment Bar.

I havent gotten fancy like alot of others on this forum(who can probably give you more advice.)as I have just recently(past 6 mo.) gotten my face to clear up. DR.HCC was the first thing that I was attempting to incorporate into my regimen, obvisouly that didnt work out very well. Now Im just trying to fix this mess.....
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
LOL! I did get the generic!!!!!! Thanks Vonstella for your skin rundown!!!!!!!
tmeyer66
5% products discount

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
I've used Retin A for about 7 years. It was originally prescribed by my dermatologist for adult acne. Now that I'm 40, my skin looks great, smooth and clear. I have been careful to use sunscreen thru the years. I also found that the Retin A helped diminish a significant scar I had on my forehead due to a car accident. I use Retin A six evenings a week.

Theresa
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
bex wrote:

vonstella,

You are a lucky girl that your insurance pays for your retin-A. After I turned 25, my insurance quite paying for it and I had to pay close to $100 bucks (it is cheaper at drugstore.com, by the way) They do this because so many people use it for anti-aging and not acne. I was pleasantly surprized when I switched to tazorac that my insurance paid for it and all I had to pay is a $30 copay. I guess it is because tazorac's original usage is for psorisis.

Liz
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
abejita wrote:
vonstella wrote:
bex wrote:

vonstella,

You are a lucky girl that your insurance pays for your retin-A. After I turned 25, my insurance quite paying for it and I had to pay close to $100 bucks (it is cheaper at drugstore.com, by the way) They do this because so many people use it for anti-aging and not acne. I was pleasantly surprized when I switched to tazorac that my insurance paid for it and all I had to pay is a $30 copay. I guess it is because tazorac's original usage is for psorisis.

Liz

Interesting, I wonder when I turn 26 if I'll get cut off? Confused I guess as far as insurance goes Im really spoiled...I got all my moles and skin tags removed by a plastic surgeon and only paid a $10 co-pay! Ugh, I sound like a troll! I need to go kiss my hubby for providing me with such great insurance.

Bex-what % are you using?
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
I buy retin a at medsmexico.com. It's really cheap, you don't need a prescription. The only drawback is that it takes about 6-7 weeks for delivery.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
I was wondering if you were under 25. I also have BC. I think it really depends more on your employer and what plan they have chosen with BC. When I was had pacificare, the covered it over 25 after your docter confirmed that it was only for acne. Even then, they stopped covering it when I was 30.

If it happens, remember to ask about tazorac. I was really prepared to pay out of pocket for it, but I was pleasantly surprized when they covered it.

I have bought from mexican pharmacies before, but only when I am in mexico. My husband is from mexico, and his sister is a doctor. They take me to reliable pharmacies. I don't think that I would trust buying it over the internet with so many conterfit drugs floating around. Last time I bought it in mexico, it was only $10!
Gayle
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
You can order it for $18 a tube fromwww.inhousepharmacy.com I've ordered different items from this place several times. I pay less than I pay with my co-pay on my drug insurance! I buy my HRT from them. They are very professional, deliver in about 10-14 days. No shipping fees. They DO NOT sell controlled drugs.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |