Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Proper blackhead removal
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pele
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:53 am      Reply with quote
This is a topic I'm so unclear about. I have blackheads especially on my nose and CANNOT RESTRAIN MYSELF from squeezing them, usually every day, but when I am good, I leave it for about a week (ok ok, usually less than a week).

But what do NORMAL people do? I mean, I know it's not good for you or normal to squeeze them every day, but how do you leave that gunk in there, KNOWING that it's in there, but just leaving it? It really baffles me.

I need to develop new skin habits, and this is a major one I need to stop - so I need to know what the proper and safe (and kind to my skin) way to do this is.....

thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:01 am      Reply with quote
I steam then get em. I dont think it damages like picking acne does. I refuse to let them sit there and wink at people! Laughing
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:28 am      Reply with quote
That's what I hear too, the proper way to extract them if you need to is steaming the face so it opens the pores decreasing the chance of scars and or irritations.

I'm just too plain lazy to do so, but probably should start too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:37 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
I steam then get em. I dont think it damages like picking acne does. I refuse to let them sit there and wink at people! Laughing

Do you use an extractor tool or your fingers?
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:53 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
vonstella wrote:

I use my fingers but I wrap a thin bit of fabric around them and make sure my nails are cut. Tissue dosent work b/c it shreads. I have honestly never used a tool, I like my way I feel like I can control the pressure well. I usually never get red marks either.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:18 am      Reply with quote
I am constantly doing stuff to extract the blackheads too. I am trying to do extract less because i think if you do too much, you can get broke capillaries or sagging skin. I alternate between using biore strips and those peel off masks. I have a tool also, it's a mehaz extractor and i will use that only after a hot shower and when i have a blackhead or cyst that is fairly large.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
I am constantly doing stuff to extract the blackheads too. I am trying to do extract less because i think if you do too much, you can get broke capillaries or sagging skin. I alternate between using biore strips and those peel off masks. I have a tool also, it's a mehaz extractor and i will use that only after a hot shower and when i have a blackhead or cyst that is fairly large.

Where was it I read, not sure if it was on here, but some say that those biore strips can actually make your pores worse, well not worse but can actually make them bigger.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Blackheads can be a result of using products that are overly drying and/or not having enough hydration in your regime.

If this is the case, try adjusting and your blackheads will go away.

If not, try something with a gentle glycolic a few times a week and that should help reduce or get rid of the problem.

Take care.
Bosoxy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Bosoxy wrote:

If not, try something with a gentle glycolic a few times a week and that should help reduce or get rid of the problem.

Take care.
Bosoxy.

gentle glycolic meaning....would juice beauty GA peel work?

And, after having larger pores that fill up all the time, is it ever possible to have smaller pores that don't fill up so easily?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
skincareaddicted wrote:

Where was it I read, not sure if it was on here, but some say that those biore strips can actually make your pores worse, well not worse but can actually make them bigger.

Hi aries--I have read that too, but I doubt that is the case. I just don't see how removing gunk from your pores can make them bigger. biore strips merely extract like an esthetician would using a metal extractor. For me, biore strips have definitely help decrease the size of my nose pores (at least it looks like it).

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:04 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
ariesxtreme wrote:
skincareaddicted wrote:

Hi aries--I have read that too, but I doubt that is the case. I just don't see how removing gunk from your pores can make them bigger. biore strips merely extract like an esthetician would using a metal extractor. For me, biore strips have definitely help decrease the size of my nose pores (at least it looks like it).

What I heard about Biore was that you might get broken capillaries from tearing off the strip from your face. That put me off using it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:45 am      Reply with quote
I can't figure out how to use an extraction tool -- bought one years ago. If I can't do it easily with my fingers, I wait until my facial. Someone mentioned a product from Sally's -- Beyond Belief Clear Nose Peel -- I bought it and used it once and it did seem to help a bit. I'm sure if I used it more regularly I'd get better results. (Just FYI, this product has the consistency of Elmer's Glue, IMO.)
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:33 am      Reply with quote
pele wrote:

gentle glycolic meaning....would juice beauty GA peel work?

And, after having larger pores that fill up all the time, is it ever possible to have smaller pores that don't fill up so easily?

Hi!

If you do not find it drying or stripping to your type of skin then it could work. I would apply a nice hydrating lotion or serum after the peel just to be on the safe side.

I like the acne serum by Ice Elements... gently, non drying and very effective.

Good luck!
Bosoxy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
Bosoxy wrote:
Blackheads can be a result of using products that are overly drying and/or not having enough hydration in your regime.

If this is the case, try adjusting and your blackheads will go away.

Take care.
Bosoxy.

I find this to be so true for my skin. When I get into an aggressive mode and use acne products on my skin, my blackheads are worse and impossible to remove with standard methods (masking, steaming, extracting, etc.). When I back off and start treating my skin more gently and give it the moisture that it needs, most of the blackheads go away. I should just toss all of my acne products in the trash to keep from being tempted to use them.

Tina
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:03 am      Reply with quote
Ninetynine wrote:
skincareaddicted wrote:
ariesxtreme wrote:
skincareaddicted wrote:

What I heard about Biore was that you might get broken capillaries from tearing off the strip from your face. That put me off using it.

yup, that's why i try not to do it more than a couple times a month. I think any type of pressure like that including manual extractions on the skin will cause capillaries or sagging. I am starting to use a glycolic acid products to clear out my pores and refine them a bit, i will keep those interested posted of course Smile.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
IS Clinical Active Serum has helped sooooo much with the blackheads on the side of my nose. I found out about it here on the EDS forum & am really happy with the results.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
The dr. H clay mask got rid of my blckheads after one use Smile Glycolic acids never really do anything for mine though Neutral
ja2006
5% products discount

Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
Biore strips are like duct tape and it can rip your skin off if you're not careful.And most of the time, they only get the head of the black head out, leaving the "body" in the pore, and thats hard to extract.

Pores do not open and close and they will only appear to shrink temporarily if you use an astringent or such to take away all of the oils.
LoathingFoundation
5% products discount

Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
i'm such a junkie when it comes to picking my pores on my face... i mostly concentrate on the nose and cheek area and i do it with my artificial GEL nails cause they're blunt... bad habit bad habit i know... i use to use a tool the IGIA PORE CLEANSER until i broke it Sad
traveler

Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:44 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
vonstella wrote:

First I steam to loosen the blackhead and then use the dermatologist blackhead extractor from Acne Research Labs and LOVE IT!! I used to try pushing them out with my fingers but noticed that the pore would enlarge from squeezing... and then the blackhead would return. It was a never ending battle!
alexol
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
maybe products containing 2%BHA will do some works on the black heads.

Neutrogena and L'Oreal all designed some cleansers or cleansing pads for this purpose.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:35 am      Reply with quote
I have heard from my aunties that your pores get bigger and bigger with every extraction... For those of you who extract regularly, is there any truth to this? And how often is too much? TIA!
vivian.vl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:20 am      Reply with quote
I have blackheads around my nose, too. But I never squeeze them using your fingers. Er... I just think that every time I squeeze the blackheads or whiteheads, the pore will not become smaller, even though I use some toner to help refinish them... It's a long way to go if I wanna the pores smaller. maybe too long.

What I do is to wash the face cleaner, then the blackheads become whiteheads. And then? leave them there ... Confused Anyway, the whiteheads is better than blackheads... Confused
LuvToSmile
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
I am not sure what is the 'right' way but I squeeze my blackheads manually. I have not noticed larger pores from this method but my pores are larger to begin with so I don't expect them to shrink (I wish !!). I never squeezed or extracted when I was younger. Maybe I should have. But the blackheads come out pretty easily with manual extraction. I know this is gross but sometimes it seems like a small blackhead and a large amount comes out at times. Makes me wonder how deep the pore actually goes or maybe it has been in there a long time.

I do know manual extraction has not made my pores larger, for what that is worth.
Louisa1303
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
I also squeeze it especially around the nose area but at times i just leave it till facial..how i hope that there is no such things as Blackheads... Bad Grin
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |