Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
chocolate?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
exerciseimust
5% products discount

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
it seems it makes me break out more, is this true? ive heard a lot that it doesnt but it seems in my family people say that chocolate breaks them out sometimes, is that possible? what could it be?

i try to use a lufah every day when i get home from school, and i use a triaz cleanser on sundays and thursdays.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
I've always heard and read that chocolate breaking you out is a myth. I have times when I eat more than my fair share, and I never break out. Could it be that we crave chocolate around certain times of the month when we are most likely to get breakouts? If you catch my drift?

As for the loofah, I'd cut back. You only need to exfoliate once or twice a week. Plus, a loofah may be too harsh for acne-prone skin. HTH.
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,
I think chocolate could certainly break you out, I find that different things break different people out. Chocolate doesn't break me out, but things like cheese (even organic cheese- so it isn't the hormones) and not getting enough water break me out. Chocolates refined sugar isn't really good for your skin anyway, instead of eating chocolate when the cravings hit me, I rech for chocolate coconut lara bar. The sugar in this bar is not refined, and the chocolate and other ingredients are raw, so this stuff is pretty fantastice for the body and skin. You say that you use a loofah everyday, I'm assuming you use it on yout face, loofahs can harbor bacteria if you don't wash it (very, very well) after every use, this may be causing you to breakout. Also, there are a lot of great product reviews here on the forum for products that have helped people's acne/breakouts and improved the appearance of the skin. I recommend looking through them, they've helped me so much in the short time I've been here!
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
Lots of info on chocolate and acne here:

http://www.acne-resource.org/acne-articles/chocolate-myth.html

It suggests that if you eat something and 'break out' the next day, it's more likely an allergic reaction rather than acne.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
I don't break out from chocolate. Thank God! Pray
exerciseimust
5% products discount

Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:57 am      Reply with quote
ah okay, whats a good way to clean a lufah?
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:53 am      Reply with quote
I watched this subject on a show called Dr. Know, and he said it was just a myth. Don't know if hes right or not, but if chocalate made me break out, I'd be covered. I eat about two king size caramellos a day......along with maybe a kit kat, or a reece cup.......YUMMMMM
Gawd, good thing it dosen't make me gain weight.
pele
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:27 am      Reply with quote
i would say it's the refined sugar making you break out and not the actual chocolate. My skin gets really crappy when I eat refined sugar - I barely eat any sugar now.....

5% products discount

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Neither did I. I stopped eating choclates, any sort of dessert, sugary drinks ( pops, fruit juices etc )

I just drank Milk, Water, Green Tea and other fresh juices.

But after 6 months I noticed that it did not make a difference. .

I was still breaking out and my skin was the same. I did lose alot of weight perhaps that was a bonus..

So now in moderation I eat and enjoy my life.

Last night I had a bowl full of Ben&Jerrys!

5% products discount

Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:34 am      Reply with quote
ok, how can i clean a lufah, and does smoking (not cig's) make u break out?
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:51 am      Reply with quote
It makes me break out too Sad
exerciseimust
5% products discount

Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:55 am      Reply with quote
daniel7654 wrote:
It makes me break out too Sad

chocolate?
smoking? (notcigs)

well how do i clean a lufah?
Chocolat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
To my knowledge smoking doesn't cause breakouts, but of course it is the single worst thing you can do to yourself, health-wise.

As far as cleaning a loofah I would suggest either a dunk in boiling water, or put a wet loofah in the microwave for a minutes. You could also run it thru the dishwasher cycle; the last two is the way I de-gunk my kitchen sponges.
Chocolat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry - typo, I meant put a wet loofah in the microwave for one minute. On high. It'll probably shrink up some but should expand w/water aftewards.
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think chocolate per se makes you break out, but I've heard somewhere that sugar spikes can wreak havoc on your skin

5% products discount

Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
what are suger spikes?

also how often sohuld i clean this lufah?
MarciaNZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
Chocolate - yummy!
If there is chocolate around i have to have a piece. My fitness trainer told me i eat way to much chocolate - i should have protein bars Crying or Very sad
Im lucky i don't break out from chocolate but i have heard its a myth as well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
Exerciseimust -- my advice: DITCH the loofah !!! Razz There are many better ways to exfoliate the skin on your face and loofahs are too harsh. You may be overstimulating your skin and are most likely stripping it, which can cause oiliness/breakouts.

Chocolate is not the problem unless, as another poster said, you have an allergy to it. Sad

As you know, smoking is a really bad thing to do to your body and its effects are very nasty on the face (not to mention the lungs, heart, arteries -- you know what I mean). The effects build up over time and trust me, it will help to age you quickly.

You didn't say what you are smoking, so I can only guess and offer what some may view as blunt advice. Wink A girl I worked with used to break out like crazy from drinking apple-cinammon tea. I thought she was nuts, until I started drinking it and broke out, too. After ditching the tea, this same girl broke out like crazy from smoking clove cigarettes. Something about cinammon and cloves did not agree with her system. A good friend of mine is a professional makeup artist (movies, TV, videos, etc.) and she can always tell the girls who smoke a lot of pot because their skin looks like crap and they have really nasty zits. I know another girl who is a counselor in a drug rehab place and she says the girls who smoke meth (not that you're doing THAT!) by far have the nastiest, grossest skin of anyone. Mad So yes, certain people who smoke certain things will see the bad results on their skin.

It would be best for you to search these boards for advice on treating your breakouts. Oftentimes dermatologists prescribe drying lotions, etc. which can make acne worse. Stripping your skin and over-exfoliating with germ-harboring loofahs and sponges is not the way to go. Exfoliating is a good idea, but in moderation. You would probably best be served by using an exfoliating treatment (lotion or mask) vs. mechanical exfoliation (scrubbing with a loofah).

Also, don't strip your skin by overcleansing with harsh products. You do need to moisturize to avoid dehydration because stripping/dehydrating the skin will only make it kick up oil production. You need gentle, calming products for your skin. If you wear makeup, one of the worst things you can do is sleep with it on your face, so be sure you cleanse your face well each night before bed. Another friend of mine had really oily skin and was removing her makeup with Biore cloths and then afterward using soap. Needless to say, her skin was stripped and her oil and breakouts just kept getting worse. Our makeup artist friend told her to use a non-foaming, creme cleanser to remove makeup and follow up with a toner, then a moisturizer. This girl's skin calmed down so much it was amazing. Using an oil to remove oily residue and makeup from the skin can actually be a good thing for women with oily/acne skin because its gentle and even though it seems couterintuitive, it does not ADD oil to the skin, rather, it falls in the "like counteracts like" category -- it takes water to remove water-soluble products and oil to remove oil/oily residue. There are good oil makeup removers like the one from DHC.

To sum up: ditch the loofah and whatever you are smoking. Everytime you feel like smoking, drink a glass or two of water -- its very good for the skin. Smile Don't overexfoliate and/or strip your skin. Don't sleep with makeup on. Cleanse the face but don't over do it. Use a good makeup remover, gentle non-foaming cleanser, a toner and a moisturizer that is non-comedogenic. Don't pick at your face. Give it time and care and your skin will thank you for it!

Hope this helps! Smile
nikkilici0us
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
omg- you ladies made me go out and buy chocolate! yummmmm

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
Never had a problem with break-outs from chocolate (thank goodness!) - I think alot of it is hormonal with me - if you are still in your teens it could be a possibility with you too exerciseimust?
Shirley M
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
exerciseimust wrote:
does smoking (not cig's) make u break out?

Y.E.S.

5% products discount

Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
Exerciseimust -- my advice: DITCH the loofah !!! Razz There are many better ways to exfoliate the skin on your face and loofahs are too harsh. You may be overstimulating your skin and are most likely stripping it, which can cause oiliness/breakouts.

Chocolate is not the problem unless, as another poster said, you have an allergy to it. Sad

As you know, smoking is a really bad thing to do to your body and its effects are very nasty on the face (not to mention the lungs, heart, arteries -- you know what I mean). The effects build up over time and trust me, it will help to age you quickly.

You didn't say what you are smoking, so I can only guess and offer what some may view as blunt advice. Wink A girl I worked with used to break out like crazy from drinking apple-cinammon tea. I thought she was nuts, until I started drinking it and broke out, too. After ditching the tea, this same girl broke out like crazy from smoking clove cigarettes. Something about cinammon and cloves did not agree with her system. A good friend of mine is a professional makeup artist (movies, TV, videos, etc.) and she can always tell the girls who smoke a lot of pot because their skin looks like crap and they have really nasty zits. I know another girl who is a counselor in a drug rehab place and she says the girls who smoke meth (not that you're doing THAT!) by far have the nastiest, grossest skin of anyone. Mad So yes, certain people who smoke certain things will see the bad results on their skin.

It would be best for you to search these boards for advice on treating your breakouts. Oftentimes dermatologists prescribe drying lotions, etc. which can make acne worse. Stripping your skin and over-exfoliating with germ-harboring loofahs and sponges is not the way to go. Exfoliating is a good idea, but in moderation. You would probably best be served by using an exfoliating treatment (lotion or mask) vs. mechanical exfoliation (scrubbing with a loofah).

Also, don't strip your skin by overcleansing with harsh products. You do need to moisturize to avoid dehydration because stripping/dehydrating the skin will only make it kick up oil production. You need gentle, calming products for your skin. If you wear makeup, one of the worst things you can do is sleep with it on your face, so be sure you cleanse your face well each night before bed. Another friend of mine had really oily skin and was removing her makeup with Biore cloths and then afterward using soap. Needless to say, her skin was stripped and her oil and breakouts just kept getting worse. Our makeup artist friend told her to use a non-foaming, creme cleanser to remove makeup and follow up with a toner, then a moisturizer. This girl's skin calmed down so much it was amazing. Using an oil to remove oily residue and makeup from the skin can actually be a good thing for women with oily/acne skin because its gentle and even though it seems couterintuitive, it does not ADD oil to the skin, rather, it falls in the "like counteracts like" category -- it takes water to remove water-soluble products and oil to remove oil/oily residue. There are good oil makeup removers like the one from DHC.

To sum up: ditch the loofah and whatever you are smoking. Everytime you feel like smoking, drink a glass or two of water -- its very good for the skin. Smile Don't overexfoliate and/or strip your skin. Don't sleep with makeup on. Cleanse the face but don't over do it. Use a good makeup remover, gentle non-foaming cleanser, a toner and a moisturizer that is non-comedogenic. Don't pick at your face. Give it time and care and your skin will thank you for it!

Hope this helps! Smile

yeah, im a 16 male, i barely get any breakouts now, just left over redness from past breakouts in middle school, and i just want to get rid of them.

So ditch the loofah, and just use triaz twice a week? do i need to cleanse? and uh yeah i dont wear makeup cause im a dude lol.

yeah i lift a lot and i drink a lot of water, so that should help too. and i have no idea what your talking about with a toner and moisturizer. can i just cleanse b4 i goto bed and goto sleep? also it seems last week when i skipped a day of cleanser my skin looked better, idk why? but let me know.
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
I hear it's a myth...if you have cravings for chocolate...it could be your hormone levels causing you to break out.
xzou
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
I guess it depend. There was a period of time that I get break outs no matter what I eat or what I put on my face. I have a friend of mine who is an absolute chocoholic and eats a lot chocolate, but she has very beautiful skin.
polylass
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:56 am      Reply with quote
Chocolate just gives me a bad stomache, but I still eat it!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |