Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
After years, the end of my constantly dry and peeling lips!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:11 am      Reply with quote
The extent of my dry lips was horrific.. to the point where I thought I had health issues because it seemed like just about every other day when I could peel layers of skin off my lips. Even daily exfoliation did not help.

I had tried so many different products, from the most thick and gooey overnight treatments (vaseline, juicy tubes, layers upon layers), even to the most overpriced stuff (gatineau, shu uemera, guerlain blahblahblah)..... they worked for a while by making my lips soft, but they also caused non-stop shedding....

So I bit the bullet one day and let my lips be product free for about 2-3 days. I couldn't resist relicking my lips every five minutes to keep them moisturised - and that is the worst thing you could do because saliva causes further dryness, especially in winter.

So after several days of neglect, my lips surprisingly did not peel until a week later, nor did I have any cracks and splits.

Then the second week, I started to apply pure rosehip oil with added vitamin e, about 10%, as an overnight treatment. By morning, my lips would be dry again, not supple or moist. But it is what happened during the day that amazed me...

Normally, I use lanolin during the days in which I don't want so many products on my lips, but the lanolin would cause my lips to shed skin completely too, and once I can start feeling skin drying, I can't stop picking or biting at it. Now the first day after using rosehip oil overnight, I didn't get ANY dryness or skin flakes... It seemed too good to be true, so I tried again on several consequtive nights, and only using lanolin during the day.

I have tried to use only lanolin or vaseline on my lips, but they seem to only be a good shielding product, not providing enough of that healing magic touch to help my lips recover. I have also tried using other pure oils, like macadamia, refined rosehip (didn't know better), castor(!), shea butter etc.. but never had the same results as this unrefined rosehip oil with vitamin e.

SO... after years of dry and over peeled lips, and lots of $$, I can only say, SIMPLE is EFFECTIVE. When trying to find a solution for chronic problems.. don't overlook the simple solutions, it may just be the very thing that cures you.
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

Try a sample of Decleor lip balm...it also comes in a lipstick style tube on the go..

I do not have chronic dry lips but they do tend to peel esp in winter and since using this, fantastic results. Thanks for the rosehip/vit e idea..will try it..

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:22 am      Reply with quote
Thanks minarets
I don't have dry lips, but I've got eyes and they're similarly thin-skinned with a tendency to dryness. Rosehip is one of the few BOs I haven't tried. Seems like it might have something extra going for it. It's on my virtual list now.
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review. I have chronic dry lips and will try the rosehip trick.
thirtyish
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:33 am      Reply with quote
Miranets, my lips sound just like yours! I had pretty much given up on them ever being "normal" as I've tried so many things and even my derm didnt' have any advice other than Aquaphor which doesn't do a darn thing! I am new to this board and not familiar with rosehip oil. What is it generally used for? Where is the best place to get it? I will definitely try this and pray it will work for me as it has for you. Oh, do you get the rosehip with vit e or do you add e yourself? Do you just pop open an e supplement and apply some on top of the rosehip or mix them or???
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
thirtyish wrote:
Miranets, my lips sound just like yours! I had pretty much given up on them ever being "normal" as I've tried so many things and even my derm didnt' have any advice other than Aquaphor which doesn't do a darn thing! I am new to this board and not familiar with rosehip oil. What is it generally used for? Where is the best place to get it? I will definitely try this and pray it will work for me as it has for you. Oh, do you get the rosehip with vit e or do you add e yourself? Do you just pop open an e supplement and apply some on top of the rosehip or mix them or???

Hiya

Rosehip oil is a type of plant oil, not essential oil, so it can be used neat on the skin without dilution. Some places recommend that, if you have acne prone skin to not use rosehip at more than 10% (but that is bollocks to me since I use it straight without any problems).

There are many grades of rosehip oil out there, in the end which will really determine what sort of results you will see on your skin.

Most people try a brand called Trilogy, who make a 100% cold pressed and certified organic rosehip oil (that is the grade which is best), you can get it from NZpacific.com with free shipping worldwide (after the exchange rate, it is a real bargain!!!). I buy my rosehip oil in larger quantities from a reputable supplier. Cold pressed and unrefined rosehip oil should be a rich golden colour, NOT clear..

I buy the d-alpha tocopheral form of vitamin e which is the natural oil soluble type. I have to add it to my rosehip oil (acts somewhat as a preservative too but most of its actions are active on the skin). I am constantly adding more vit e to my oil, moving up to 25%, but I have not seen any irritation from that, in fact, seeing much clearer and softer skin every time.

You can use rosehip oil ANYWHERE on your body.. I use it on my back and chest (before where it was prone to blocked pores and acne) but I have seen terrific results and do not suffer any blocked pores like from using other plant oils.

Also, I don't think you can use a vitamin e supplement, even the liquid types are not pure vitamin e, often mixed with fillers. Try to get your hands on some cosmetic grade stuff.

HTH
thirtyish
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
I was googling rosehip oil and came across this: Koneil, Rose Hips Oil with Vitamin E from K-Max
Ingredients
Rose Hips oil, Vitamin E, Isopropyl Myristate, Isopropyl Palmitate, BHT, Fragrance
Do you think it's worth a try? I don't know how good I will be at mixing my own potion. But if you think this will be useless, I will try.
amaska
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! Free shipping! Very interesting website. Perhaps I should just order the Trilogy intensive lip treatment for my brother! His lips are always chapped as well!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
I just saw that trilogy is not available to the U.S. from nzpacific. Boo!
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
thirtyish wrote:
I was googling rosehip oil and came across this: Koneil, Rose Hips Oil with Vitamin E from K-Max
Ingredients
Rose Hips oil, Vitamin E, Isopropyl Myristate, Isopropyl Palmitate, BHT, Fragrance
Do you think it's worth a try? I don't know how good I will be at mixing my own potion. But if you think this will be useless, I will try.

If you have issues with clogged pores or acne don't even try this oil. Isopropyl Myristate and Isopropyl Palmitate are very comedogenic. IMO you are better off with Rose Hip Oil which doesn't have the added pore cloggers, preservative and fragrance. Plain oils don't really need anything more than Vitamin E as a preservative.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thirtyish,

You can try mountainroseherbs.com they sell raw materials for cosmetics. They have certified organic cold pressed rosehip oil at 4oz, it is OOS at the moment but just keep an eye out.

I agree with Theresa, for an oil like Rosehip, you really should try to get the stuff that is unadulterated. The additives may sensitise your skin and negate the goodness of the oil.
lefemme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Trilogy can be purchased fromwww.greenvillefrangrances.com, a company that appears to be based in California.
thirtyish
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
But the trilogy is a good one, right? I found a couple places in the U.S. that have it, even though it's more. and should i definitely combine E with it?
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Trilogy is a company that produces reputable rosehip oil. But from a place like mountainroseherbs is also good, especially if you want larger quantities. As long as you are buying from, what I see, ethical and responsible seller that labels exactly what grade the oil is, then it will be equally good.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Okay put some rosehip oil on last night to the lips...uh this morning..still chapped Laughing

Ugh, I get spirts of days or a week where my lips are just so chapped and I'm sitting here when I just peel layers and layers of skin off where it starts to bleed. Then on one part of my lip it's more pink/red than the other parts of the lip because that's the new skin underneath the layer I just peeled of is appearing Sad

I was wondering..has anyone tried using emu oil for their lips? I wonder if an HA serum would also work.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
HA did nothing for me, it dried on my lips and left them feeling rather tight. Even if I 'sealed' it with shea butter or some other thick substance..

I don't know if it was the vit e in the rosehip that made the big difference?? Because vit e is supposed to be very healing for damaged skin.

Anyhow. I now avoid all lip products with castor oil in them, and have been sticking to lanolin for weeks. So far, I have not suffered any chapped lips for the longest time in my life.

Ariesxtreme, are you still using 'regular' lip products during the day?
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
I just called my mum to read her your post. She's had a terrible time with her dry lips. Thanks for posting.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:

Ariesxtreme, are you still using 'regular' lip products during the day?

I put it on occassionally, I've found out that my lips are better off when I put nothing on them. I should get some lanolin oil then to try.

I have problem where I pick at em, I'll slide my finger over my lips and as soon as I feel some dry skin stabbin my fingers I'll pick. Funny thing, it's only my bottom lip i have a problem with, my upper lips is perfectly fine.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
Funny, mine is my upper lip, the bottom will peel sometimes but not nearly as much. I got Trilogy rosehip last night and E, I sure hope it works. I NEED it to work!
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
thirtyish wrote:
Funny, mine is my upper lip, the bottom will peel sometimes but not nearly as much. I got Trilogy rosehip last night and E, I sure hope it works. I NEED it to work!

You and me both, I just took a look at my lip in the mirror in the washroom, it's quite horrid. They look so parched...ick Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
Just some advice on the lanolin products too. I got the hint from another member on EDS, to use the ultrarefined USP grade lanolin, which is usually sold in the form of 'nipple balm'. I am not sure about lanolin oil, because it does not have much staying power. Plus look out for additives too, like fragrance and fillers.

Yes my peeling lip was always the bottom one.. I hated it SO much, because I could not wear lipstick base and lip colouring without it all seeping into the cracks.

I wore lippy the first time today in months, it looked so smooth and natural. I think the secret to great looking lip colour wear is how smooth your lips are, not how you apply it or how $$ the lipstick is.

Thirtyish, I hope the roseip and E work for you! Keep us updated.
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
I have this exact same problem! It's my lower lip too, and I pick at it constantly. I'm going to try vitamin E tonight. I still haven't bought rosehip yet, so maybe I'll get some improvement from just the E until I can buy the rosehip. Thanks for the tip!
lefemme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
I sure do hope you ladies find something that works--cuz I'm a dry-lipped picker from waaaaaaaaaay back (and here I thought I was the only one!) I'll just sit back at night while watching tv, and just go at my poor lips. Anyway, I'm anxious to hear what works to solve this dry lip problem once and for all! BTW, does anyone know of a stick lip balm that has lanolin it it, but isn't the pure lanolin oil by itself?
jemstar
5% products discount

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem- constantly dry -peeling and I have tried almost everything as well. I have noticed that the only thing that keeps them from flaking is to continually apply lip gloss all day- bobbi brown or juicy tubes- mac lip glosses are ok as well and at night- I slather on vitamin E cap or vaseline. But recently I have been putting a bit of EL's advanced night repair and that seems to totally help my lips feel soft and lightens the color of my lips to a nice rosy pink. Now I can finally put on a flesh colored lipstick (mac freckletone) on smooth, uncracked lips....
thirtyish
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:32 am      Reply with quote
I have been using Trilogy Rosehip oil and E for about a week and my lips are still peeling. Sad
However, I am still using my normal lip balms and glosses during the day so maybe something in another product irritates them or maybe they will always peel no matter what. I also tried the rosehip E combo at the corners of my nose which also always peel...still have peeling. and I'm using rosehip around my eyes and I have developed little bumps. But I'm going to continue giving it a chance...
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |