Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Emu oil after Retin-A
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:12 am      Reply with quote
I typically use gobs of emu oil a couple of hours after applying glycolic acid. But Retin-A? For some reason, I'm just a little iffy about that.

What are your thoughts on this? Smile
rkai93
5% products discount

Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:41 am      Reply with quote
my derm says use any moisturizer BEFORE the retin-a, not after
StellaMarie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:46 am      Reply with quote
I think Retin-A goes on clean skin (rkai93, maybe your derm suggested something different because of sensitivity concerns?).

Anyway, I use emu after Retin-A has had a chance to absorb. I think that emu does "push" actives into your skin, though, so I am somewhat careful of the effects of increased sensitivity. On the other hand, emu is a fantastic moisturizer, and my skin needs that even more with Retin A use.

Btw, you really only have to wait about 30 minutes after using acids.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
emu has anti-inflammatory properties so it's good to use after sensitizing products.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not a professional, but I think you need to put Retin A on clean dry skin. I think the idea of letting it absorb for 30 minutes before putting on the emu oil is what I'd do.

Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:00 am      Reply with quote
SugarFreeSheila wrote:
I typically use gobs of emu oil a couple of hours after applying glycolic acid. But Retin-A? For some reason, I'm just a little iffy about that.

What are your thoughts on this? Smile

I've read that emu oil is the most effective carrier oil in terms of taking other oils or topical medications deeply into the skin. So if you apply after Retin-A, the emu oil will take the retin-a more deeply into the skin (and blood stream)

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:01 am      Reply with quote
I use emu after retinoids or any irritating product, because of the soothing, anti-inflammatory nature of it.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:00 am      Reply with quote
Im really interested in this topic too, I just ordered Emu for the first time and use Retin-a .01%. I was wanting to put this on after my r-a and dont want to overwhelm my skin. Hopefully someone who is really knows their stuff on both products will chim in.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:37 am      Reply with quote
If you can believe it, I'm adding a retinol into my PM routine 1x/week to start and will do so before emu/HA for the soothing effects.

I agree to let the retin absorb for 30 minutes first, though.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:53 am      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
If you can believe it, I'm adding a retinol into my PM routine 1x/week to start and will do so before emu/HA for the soothing effects.

Well if your gonna Im gonna! Laughing
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Btw, you really only have to wait about 30 minutes after using acids.

Oh yes, I have always heard this - I'm just ultra-cautious about absorption of actives. More than I need to be, I'm sure. Laughing
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
scalawaggirl wrote:

Well if your gonna Im gonna! Laughing

Chuckling... Laughing I did my first PM with PSF Retinol 1% last night and let it sit for 30 minutes before my CPs/emu oil. Not a bit of irritation this morning and you know, I've been bombarding my skin with actives and such! In fact, I think this will help clear up some hyperpigmentation parts on my forehead and perhaps turn over some cells a little quicker. Well, hoping so, anyway!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:12 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |