Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

So whats going on with my skin? Maybe somebody can help me..
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mixCD
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
figure whats wrong.. Well I am using Cetaphil cleanser with a gentle buf puf:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=16492&catid=50429&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=50429&trxp2=16492&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH

and my skin is breaking out more...I stopped using BP. I used to use it with the cetaphil and a moisturizer and my skin look good.. Didnt breat out but still had spots and they took forever to fade. So I stopped using the BP and decided to use the Buff Puff facial sponge with cetaphil. I got the gentle one and knowing that cetaphil is really a gentle cleanser why do you think I am breaking out.

Is it because its purging out or cleaning out my dirty pores? Why I might think this way is because when I first used Dr. H cleansing cream it broke me out at first and I purged for a few weeks so i figured this might do the same.. Its been about 5 days since I've using this routine.

Any ideas or advice? I got the sponge that is safe to use daily because yes i know how over exfoliating is bad and can irrate the skin..

Let me know

Thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
First, stopping BP is a very likely cause of your breakouts. How long ago did you stop using the BP?

Second, for many acne prone individuals mechanical exfoliation (such as the Buf Puf) will make your acne worse. Just how gentle is the Gentle Buf Puf?
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Do you wash the sponge? It could be harboring a lot of bacteria, you aren't using anything that kills acne bacteria like tea tree oil or sulphur, so your skin just may be re-infecting itself.
mixCD
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
First, stopping BP is a very likely cause of your breakouts. How long ago did you stop using the BP?

Second, for many acne prone individuals mechanical exfoliation (such as the Buf Puf) will make your acne worse. Just how gentle is the Gentle Buf Puf?

I stopped using BP maybe a week or two ago.. Well it kinda feels like the DR H CC. The gentle one is a big difference compared to the regular which I tried out first and boy was that harsh so I didn't continue with that.. IM noticing that my right side is breaking out more than my left side. My left side has only 2 active pimples while the right side has 8 active pimples..

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
dealated wrote:
Do you wash the sponge? It could be harboring a lot of bacteria, you aren't using anything that kills acne bacteria like tea tree oil or sulphur, so your skin just may be re-infecting itself.

I sometimes wash the spong with hand soap. I have Clearasil face wash. That has Triclosan. Should i use that to wash the sponge?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
mixCD wrote:

I stopped using BP maybe a week or two ago.. Well it kinda feels like the DR H CC. The gentle one is a big difference compared to the regular which I tried out first and boy was that harsh so I didn't continue with that.. IM noticing that my right side is breaking out more than my left side. My left side has only 2 active pimples while the right side has 8 active pimples..

Try the Clay-Neem Treatment from Earth to Body. It will deep cleanse and heal your skin. www.earthtobody.ca I love this stuff.

Try either the Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel or Neutrogena Acne Mark Fading Peel for the acne scars.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
perhaps you should try leaving the sponge out to see if your skin improves.. at least that way you will know if the new addition is the cause.

oh and i used to use cetaphil and it didnt break me out... then one day it started making me break out for no particular reason (then i found spectro gel which is 100x better than cetaphil imo)
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
You should go back to using BP and just use a thin layer daily. I stopped use of it for about two weeks and my blemishes came back. The reason being that BP is a topical cream and must be applied consistently to maintain results.

As for your spots, what do they look like? How long do they last for? Were they there before the use of BP and how long have you used bp? Smile just trying to find out more information about your skin problem.

I use an exfoliating sponge as well, but I make sure I dry it thoroughly everytime I use it and then store in a container. However this method of exfoliation really does nothing in terms of getting rid of acne etc. Maybe try a BHA product instead?
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:13 am      Reply with quote
BP is really bad for your skin. It creates a lots of free radicals. It will age your skin. I would try tea tree oil or some some other anti-bacterial.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:33 am      Reply with quote
this is the first time I heard about BP and free radicals. Would you know of any articles/scientific research that has discussed this? Smile I just don't want to give it up yet because my skin is finally clear.

What other alternatives besides tea tree would you suggest? I am definitely up for new things to try! Laughing
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:56 am      Reply with quote
If you google "berenzol peroxide free radicals" a whole bunch of articles come up. It has been discussed on this site as well... So maybe if you did a search. I believe that tea tree oil works in the same way, but without the negative side effects. Some people mix tea tree oil in with another oil or cream, to counteract the dryness that it can cause. What about sulphur? If I have a break out, I just put some kind of AHA on it.

I just found this...
Benzoyl Peroxide Cautions: Benzoyl peroxide (BP) generates free radicals in the skin. Its effect is similar to unprotected sun exposure. The redness of the skin (erythema), caused by sun exposure and BP, is the result of free radicals causing to the skin. Repeated sun exposure or BP use generates free radicals that damage the skin's structure and cellular DNA, resulting in premature aging of the skin. The extent of the damage and aging from BP is determined by the concentration of BP, the frequency of application and the duration of its use.

Use of benzoyl peroxide to control acne may involve side effects and risks that should be considered in making decisions on acne treatment. Skintactix has given particular attention to providing effective treatment with no side effects and no benzoyl peroxide. For additional information on this subject please see the Benzoyl Peroxide Skin Damage page.

http://www.skintactix.com/acne_tips.htm
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Lucinda! I just found this site recently, so I am a bit behind on everything though I think I am catching up fast. Very Happy

Thank you for the link and I will try the tea tree oil or the mandelic acid since that seems to be multi-tasking.

I definitely do not want the phrase "free radicals" and skin linked in the same sentence. Not talking
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:37 am      Reply with quote
It can all seem extremely over whelming at first... All this new information!! Very Happy
But it is well worth it in the end. I think that we are all constantly learning something new!
mixCD
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:58 am      Reply with quote
cuppre wrote:
You should go back to using BP and just use a thin layer daily. I stopped use of it for about two weeks and my blemishes came back. The reason being that BP is a topical cream and must be applied consistently to maintain results.

As for your spots, what do they look like? How long do they last for? Were they there before the use of BP and how long have you used bp? Smile just trying to find out more information about your skin problem.

I use an exfoliating sponge as well, but I make sure I dry it thoroughly everytime I use it and then store in a container. However this method of exfoliation really does nothing in terms of getting rid of acne etc. Maybe try a BHA product instead?

Yea true. I just didnt want to use BP for long term use. BUt my spots are light red left from pimples. Will today the 8 pimples on my right side seems to die down just a little. Im tryin this method because sometimes i have blocked pores and my back which is clear sometimes breakout when I don't use the body sponge at least once a day or clean my back good.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi mixCD,

You should check out mandelic acid (AHA). There is a thread on the product review forum, and it appears to be a viable alternative to benzac when used in conjunction with BHA.

I just found out myself that Benzac creates free radicals Embarassed and that's why the blemishes take so much longer to fade in redness.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:39 am      Reply with quote
I stopped using Duac (Benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin) in May and it took months for my acne to even begin to settle down. I kept Differin in my routine but found that the Differin is not enought to control my acne to a point where I am happy. When I was using BP and Differin my acne was so under control that I only got one pimple every month or so.

I recently started using Mandelic Acid and am hoping that this will by the thing that keeps my acne in check. Mandelic Acid is beneficial for acne in several ways. First, even though it is an AHA is can exfoliate within the pores like BHA. Second, it is antibacterial. I don't know if mandelic acid will work and don't know if it is for everyone. The reason I chose to try it are that it is better for sensitive skin than other AHAs and my skin cannot tolerate BHA (salicylic acid).

On the topic of benzoyl peroxide. I gave this up because I was concerned about the free radical stuff and the fact that BP is a potent oxidizer. But this was just a logical guess on my part, I really had not seen any research on this. I think it is time for me to really look into the whole BP/free radical thing to see if there really is any science to back up my concern about this. One thing I will say is that acne is an inflammatory condition and inflammation on it's own is damaging to the skin and can accelerate aging of the skin. When it comes to BP usage I think we need to keep this in mind. Are the risks of unchecked inflammation that result from acne not being kept under control greater than the risks of using a product (such as BP) that keeps the acne under control resulting in no inflammation? I don't necessarily have an answer to that one but it is something to think about.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers but I'd suggest dumping the Cetaphil as it's got loads of garbage ingredients.

You'll find that a good cleanser that's "clean" meaning no nasties and is close to the skin's natural Ph (5.5) will go a LONG way in balancing things out.

I use Zenbiotics in the AM and Devita Aloe Cleanser in the PM and am happy w/both. These are what I decided on after launching into a full-scale massive find-a-good-cleanser investigation. I'm sure others will offer their suggestions as well.

FYI, I had (key word) oily, breakout-prone skin all of my life. It is now under control w/only very infrequent breakouts that are a) tiny and b) disappear w/in a day due to BHA and emu oil.

Good luck. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:36 am      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
Hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers but I'd suggest dumping the Cetaphil as it's got loads of garbage ingredients.

No feathers ruffled here but here is an ingredient list for Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser:

Ingredients: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben.

Please point out the garbage ingredients. I know sodium lauryl sulfate is bad but my understanding is that the cleanser contains so small an amount of this that it is no big deal. I guess if you are in the all natural camp then there is a lot to object to in this cleanser but otherwise I don't see why anyone would have an issue with good old Cetaphil!
mixCD
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
cuppre wrote:
Hi mixCD,

You should check out mandelic acid (AHA). There is a thread on the product review forum, and it appears to be a viable alternative to benzac when used in conjunction with BHA.

I just found out myself that Benzac creates free radicals Embarassed and that's why the blemishes take so much longer to fade in redness.

what is Benzac?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
scalawaggirl wrote:

No feathers ruffled here but here is an ingredient list for Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser:

Ingredients: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben.

Please point out the garbage ingredients. I know sodium lauryl sulfate is bad but my understanding is that the cleanser contains so small an amount of this that it is no big deal. I guess if you are in the all natural camp then there is a lot to object to in this cleanser but otherwise I don't see why anyone would have an issue with good old Cetaphil!

whats a better gentle cleanser like cetaphil that doesnt have the sodium lauryl sulfate?

Just wondering..

Because I still am going to use the buf puf with cetaphil for another week just to see if it is that my skin is just purging out the gunk out of my pores not..sure...

what does it mean if I get white heads? I got a few around my mustache area twice since i've using this routine...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:

It's mainly the SLS as you pointed out. Info I tracked down:

SLS is not only an irritant. It strips the skin barrier of its protective epidermal lipids whether it causes irritation or not.

Cetaphil is pH 6.8, which combined with SLS is damaging to the skin barrier.

Cetaphil does leave a film due to propylene glycol to make you feel as if you are moisturized while you use the harsh detergent, SLS.

The reason I suggested dumping the Cetaphil is due to cleansing being the first thing done in a routine and potentially setting the stage for further damage. I know derms recommend it a lot and many people use it but I think in a situation such as this where the skin is totally freaking out, that it's wise to set a solid foundation as close to skin's Ph as possible and with no junk ingredients.

I personally found that when I switched cleansers meeting the above criteria, my skin now rarely breaks out, is brighter and overall doing the happy dance. It is even normalizing but as you know, I use many other products in my routine (like CPs/emu oil) so it is more than just the cleanser but it's a good place to start.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:13 am      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl I sent an email to Galderma to double check this but I believe that the SLS in Cetaphil is only 1%!! I don't see how it can strip your skin. I used it for years and never had any problems. In fact sometimes I even consider going back to using Cetaphil. You can tell it doesn't have a lot of detergent because it does not foam at all and it cannot remove even non-waterproof mascara. I know that you have probably received a lot of your info on Cetaphil from the skincareboard and I will say that this is one thing that I feel Deb was wrong on!
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:29 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
scalawaggirl I sent an email to Galderma to double check this but I believe that the SLS in Cetaphil is only 1%!! I don't see how it can strip your skin. I used it for years and never had any problems. In fact sometimes I even consider going back to using Cetaphil. You can tell it doesn't have a lot of detergent because it does not foam at all and it cannot remove even non-waterproof mascara. I know that you have probably received a lot of your info on Cetaphil from the skincareboard and I will say that this is one thing that I feel Deb was wrong on!

Smile I humbly admit this to be a strong possibility and yep, got a lot of info by way of Deb though I am one of the ones who can't use Cetaphil, either. Like everything skincare-related, I imagine it's mostly down to how we personally react. I had to investigate heck out of cleansers until I found a few that worked. Just as an aside, do you think it could be damaging since SLS is a harsh detergent w/a higher ph? Wondering.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:09 am      Reply with quote
My opinion is that the SLS is such a small amount that it is not even an issue. If it truly has 1% SLS that amount is according to the Cosmetics Ingredient Review board even safe for a leave on product. Cetaphil even claims that you can leave a thin film of this on your skin (personally I would never do this!) which if it actually did contain more than 1% SLS would be a no no. As to the pH, I don't think it is unacceptably high. Keep in mind that the pH of water is 7 which is considered a neutral pH and the skin's pH is 5.5. So I don't feel that a pH of 6.8 is very high.

From personal experience I did not find Cetaphil to be harsh for my skin and based on how poorly my skin reacts to so many products I think that is saying something!
mixCD
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
what about this cleanser?

Murad Moisture Rich Cleanser?

Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Dicaprylyl Maleate, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate,
Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Sesquioleate,
Emulsifying Wax NF, Methyl Gluceth-10, Sodium Lactate, Sodium PCA, Sorbitol, Proline, Algae Extract, Panthenol, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Propylene Glycol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Triethanolamine, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA

I used to use it..and it was ok..But I saw that if I used it with an exfoliator like a facial gentle sponge it kinda worked..

Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:15 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |