Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
So whats going on with my skin? Maybe somebody can help me..
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:50 pm      Reply with quote
A plastic surgeon once told me that using a Buff Puff is like scratching your face up. Try using a wash cloth.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:15 am      Reply with quote
mixCD wrote:
what about this cleanser?

Murad Moisture Rich Cleanser?

Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Dicaprylyl Maleate, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate,
Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Sesquioleate,
Emulsifying Wax NF, Methyl Gluceth-10, Sodium Lactate, Sodium PCA, Sorbitol, Proline, Algae Extract, Panthenol, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Propylene Glycol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Triethanolamine, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA

I used to use it..and it was ok..But I saw that if I used it with an exfoliator like a facial gentle sponge it kinda worked..

I am no expert on detergents but it does have a few of them. The Sodium Lauroamphoacetate is considered to be a mild detergent. I am not sure about the others. There are also ingredients in this that would leave a film on your skin.
How does your skin feel after you use the cleanser? Does it feel dry? Irritated? Like it has a film? Also, how much does this lather?
What do you mean when you say that it kinda worked if you used it with an exfoliator? Do you mean that it doesn't work if you don't use it with an exfoliator?

Let me give my opinion again on the exfoliating sponge. I really think it is inappropriate for your skin type. Not only are you acne prone but you have sensitive skin. I have the same skin issues and learned a long time ago to not use scrubs or sponges/cloths that are abrasive. I don't just say this from personal experience. I have read numerous times that mechanical exfoliation is not good for sensitive/acne prone individuals.
For a little exfoliation I think that products like the Kanebo Silk Peeling Powder work well with skin types like ours. It is a powder but once you mix it with water the grains totally disappear. It really uses enzymes to exfoliate and not grains.
mixCD
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:20 am      Reply with quote
bex wrote:
A plastic surgeon once told me that using a Buff Puff is like scratching your face up. Try using a wash cloth.

true..but really it depends on the actual product. A wash cloth can be just as harsh...There are different kinds of buf puf.. he's probably just thinking about the regular one which he's right does scratch your face. So thats why i got the extra gentle one. Big difference...

I have used a wash cloth and it was harsh..So really it depends on the material and how gentle either the washcloth or buf puf is.

In some cases the buf puf could be more gentle than a wash cloth depending which version of it you get and vice versa..

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
mixCD wrote:
what about this cleanser?

Murad Moisture Rich Cleanser?

Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Dicaprylyl Maleate, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate,
Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Sesquioleate,
Emulsifying Wax NF, Methyl Gluceth-10, Sodium Lactate, Sodium PCA, Sorbitol, Proline, Algae Extract, Panthenol, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Propylene Glycol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Triethanolamine, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA

I used to use it..and it was ok..But I saw that if I used it with an exfoliator like a facial gentle sponge it kinda worked..

I am no expert on detergents but it does have a few of them. The Sodium Lauroamphoacetate is considered to be a mild detergent. I am not sure about the others. There are also ingredients in this that would leave a film on your skin.
How does your skin feel after you use the cleanser? Does it feel dry? Irritated? Like it has a film? Also, how much does this lather?
What do you mean when you say that it kinda worked if you used it with an exfoliator? Do you mean that it doesn't work if you don't use it with an exfoliator?

Let me give my opinion again on the exfoliating sponge. I really think it is inappropriate for your skin type. Not only are you acne prone but you have sensitive skin. I have the same skin issues and learned a long time ago to not use scrubs or sponges/cloths that are abrasive. I don't just say this from personal experience. I have read numerous times that mechanical exfoliation is not good for sensitive/acne prone individuals.
For a little exfoliation I think that products like the Kanebo Silk Peeling Powder work well with skin types like ours. It is a powder but once you mix it with water the grains totally disappear. It really uses enzymes to exfoliate and not grains.

Well now it didnt look any different. Felt the same when I used the Murad cleanser. But I just kept using the cetaphil. It kinda worked meaning that if I only use a wash cloth like just 1 or 2 times a week it worked well but I just got addicted and started to increase the usage of the wash cloth.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Thanks mixCD....I do consider the doctor I was speaking of as being over cautious.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
Just adding that I would not use a Buf-Puf, sensitive or otherwise, on my face - ever. This coming from an exfoliating maniac, mind you. I think the fibers of Buf-Puf can and will tear the skin though it may not be obvious to the naked eye.

Better to stick to microfiber cloths, gentle washcloths and other tools but the key is to never pull the skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
mixCD I am not sure this is the case but if you are mostly concerned with removing your cleanser as opposed to using something exfoliating then a great option would be a muslin cloth. I have become quite fond of these lately since they work well and are not rough at all on my very sensitive skin. I have 5 of them and use them once then wash them in hot water with my towels.
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL, if you don't mind...where do you purchase your muslin cloths? Thanks!
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
bex,

The ones that I use are the Molton Brown brand.

I got mine at SpaLook http://www.spalook.com/product_details.asp?ProductID=1730.

Another retailer is Beautyhabit http://www.beautyhabit.com/molton_skincare.html

I prefer Beautyhabit to SpaLook. It is a smaller business with great customer service. But SpaLook is okay. I just get annoyed with the fact that ever since I placed one order with them they are constantly mailing me things!
svunt1
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
I used buf puf a couple of years ago, it irritated my skin and I broke out reaally bad. I now use the natural sea sponge, its soft and I think it gave me enough exfoliation without irritating my acne prone skin. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:16 am      Reply with quote
svunt1 wrote:
I used buf puf a couple of years ago, it irritated my skin and I broke out reaally bad. I now use the natural sea sponge, its soft and I think it gave me enough exfoliation without irritating my acne prone skin. Very Happy

where can i get this?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:20 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
mixCD I am not sure this is the case but if you are mostly concerned with removing your cleanser as opposed to using something exfoliating then a great option would be a muslin cloth. I have become quite fond of these lately since they work well and are not rough at all on my very sensitive skin. I have 5 of them and use them once then wash them in hot water with my towels.

How many times a week you use this wash cloth?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:39 am      Reply with quote
mixCD I use the muslin cloths every morning. I don't use them for my evening cleansing but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use them twice a day if you wanted to!
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:23 am      Reply with quote
I just got a response from Galderma concerning the percentage of SLS in the Gentle Cleanser. There is less than 1% SLS in the cleanser. I honestly don't see how that amount of detergent could be an issue!!
mixCD
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:17 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
mixCD I use the muslin cloths every morning. I don't use them for my evening cleansing but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use them twice a day if you wanted to!

So I should buy 5 or 7 of them to allow me to use them only once day? Of course after each use they will be washed...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:24 am      Reply with quote
mixCD you may just want to get one at first to see what you think! I own 5 myself. I use them once and then machine wash them in hot water when I wash my towels (about once every 4 days).
mixCD
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
^^^ alright.. I will buy one to try it out...cause im breaking out badly...I have white heads...i wonder what that means..I usually don't get alot whiteheads at a given time...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
mixCD I have a lot of whiteheads/milia too. In fact that is the thing that bothers me most about my skin right now. I am starting to wonder if the whiteheads have anything to do with stopping BP. When I was on the BP I only ever had a few but ever since I stopped using that in May I have had a horrible time dealing with whiteheads. At first I though it was the Proheal, then my morning cleanser, then C serums in general. The C serums in general may be one of the causes but a few days ago I started suspecting that stopping the BP could be part of the problem. I have a few things to research on this but will let you know what I find!
mixCD
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
Im wondering if this will work better for me because my skin never does too good when I exfoliate. I don't know why..

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:21 am      Reply with quote
mixCD,

In Australia I got the natural sea sponge from Priceline. In the US, you can get it from CVS or Kmart. The brand is "Manicare" - Yep, the same brand as those hand and nail products.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:10 am      Reply with quote
mixCD wrote:
Im wondering if this will work better for me because my skin never does too good when I exfoliate. I don't know why..

The muslin cloths won't exfoliate unless you rub very hard so they should work better for you if exfoliation is a problem.

It really seems that we share a lot of the same issues with our skin. I noticed that my skin does worse when I exfoliate. Scrubs, harsh cloths, etc. are probably the worst for me. And the absolute worst thing I ever did acne wise was get microdermabrasion once. I only did it once and will never have another. It did not suit my skin at all!

Occasional peels seem to work okay for me but I would rather not have to do those. I also have run into problems using AHAs on a regular basic whether that is once a day or a few times a week. And my skin cannot tolerate salicylic acid (BHA) at all. My skin seems to do okay with gentle enzyme exfoliation like I mentioned a few posts back and I am hoping that the Mandelic acid will work but am really not sure about that one at this point.

What types of exfoliation have you tried? Any that remotely seemed to do any good? I would love to be able to find some form of exfoliation that works and does not make my acne worse or irritate my skin.

BTW I did some research on the whitehead issue and here is what I found. Whiteheads are actually a form of acne. They are classified as non-inflammatory acne lesions. Several things work against them. Retinoids, salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide (there may be more I just haven't had the time to find them all yet) are all very effective against non-inflammatory acne. Antibiotics really do not do much for non-inflammatory acne. So I have a feeling that a big factor in my whitheads problem was giving up BP! I guess that the Differin plus BP were keeping them under control but the Differin by itself is not enough. Like you I don't want to go back to using BP. I don't know what the best option is??? I will give the mandelic acid a little more time and am also considering switching C serums because I still believe that has something to do with my whiteheads too. Apparently the low pH of the C serums causes exfoliation that can worsen acne. How totally frustrating!!! Mad
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |