Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

urinary tract infections
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:38 am      Reply with quote
I know this is a gross subject, but most of us get them at least once in our lives. I have been getting urinary tract infections 3 times in the past year. It is so annoying and uncomfortable. The antibiotics the doctor prescribes really help to cure the infection but I want to prevent this sort of infection from happening. I hear drinking lots of cranberry juice helps prevent UTI's... are there any sort of pills i can take to prevent this from happening again?
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:26 am      Reply with quote
I dont get them now but did while I was pregnant, here is what I found that works best to naturally clear them.

D-Mannose Plus, D-Mannose is a naturally occuring simple sugar, closely related to glucose. D-Mannose Plus combines D-Mannose with cranberry extract to enhance its effectiveness in supporting urinary tract health.

http://www.vrp.com/det/5504.asp

This comes in a powder form that you add 2 table spoons to 4oz of water and drink, it actually taste pretty good. You can drink it everyday safely if you are prone to UTI's or just when you have them. A lifesaver for me, it cleared mine up in a matter of hours.

Stop drinking sodas and get your 64oz of water a day.

Remember that by taking antibiotics to kill infections in your body, you are also killing the good bacteria which can lead to cronic conditions like UTI's. Eating yogurt with Lactobacillus Acidophilus in it will replenish the good bacteria, a supplement of this would be helpful too.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/Lactobacillusacidophiluscs.html
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:41 am      Reply with quote
My grandmother swore by drinking a glass of water every morning with 2 tablespoons of applecider vinager in it. She suffered from cronic ones untill she did this.
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:42 am      Reply with quote
In addition to the great advice Vonstella has given - a simple home remedy to sort of ward UTI's off at the pass is to take an alka seltzer or two and for some reason that seems to help alleviate them as well. I read that somewhere on a home remedy site and now I always have alka seltzer in the house...just in case....I've been uncomfortable enough times with UTI's to want to stop them before they get unbearable.

Maria Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:38 am      Reply with quote
this past August I was admitted to the hospital with a pretty bad kidney infection. It started with a little UTI, that I ignored for about 3 weeks. Yesterday, I started to feel like another UTI was starting...and I went straight to the doctors...3 days of Cipro and I hope I'll be good to go. I drink a ton of water every day, wipe the correct way, etc. I don't eat yogurt because I cant stand it....I did hear that something in cranberry juice helps keep bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall....I guess I need to get some cranberry juice.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Chrissie wrote:
this past August I was admitted to the hospital with a pretty bad kidney infection. It started with a little UTI, that I ignored for about 3 weeks. Yesterday, I started to feel like another UTI was starting...and I went straight to the doctors...3 days of Cipro and I hope I'll be good to go. I drink a ton of water every day, wipe the correct way, etc. I don't eat yogurt because I cant stand it....I did hear that something in cranberry juice helps keep bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall....I guess I need to get some cranberry juice.

You can get the same benefits of Lactobacillus Acidophilus in pill form if you dont like yogurt. Also the D-mannose HAS cranberry extract in it and serves the same purpose within a matter of hours. I have had friends swear by the alka seltzer method too, I had forgotten about this one. Also fresh blueberries are suppose to twice the amount of antioxidents as cranberries and really help with UTI prevention. Very Happy
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
If you can't drink a lot of cranberry juice there is cranberry PILLS you can take.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
Something else that is important but often overlooked: whenever you go to the loo, make sure you wipe from from to back instead of back to front to avoid the spread of bacteria.

When I used to get UTI, i go crazy. I drink 2 glasses of water every half an hour to flush out the bacteria.
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
I hate these!!!!! I haven't gotten one in so long, but a few years back I got one, then another.

Lots of water, keeping yourself clean, taking a bath with baking soda and eating more alkaline foods helped me.
kalegr
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:16 am      Reply with quote
Autumn is correct, my mum recently had a uti and she took Cranberry tablets and it cleared up
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:26 am      Reply with quote
Sometimes when UTIs hit pretty hard, you have no choice but to get an Rx for antibiotics to get it under control. My doctor also used to give me a pill that would help control the physical pain and symptoms that made UTIs so uncomfortable until the antibiotics could kick in and get to work - I don't remember the name of it, but you can get something like it over the counter. The one I got by Rx made my pee bright orange - freaked me out the first time! I thought I was dying! Shock

If you get an Rx for an antibiotic, please be sure to tell your doctor to also write you one for something to either prevent or control the yeast infection you are sure to get from taking antibiotics. Embarassed Also, go to the health food store and get the strongest acidophollus (sp?) pill they make, but do NOT get the ones they put on the shelf - get the ones they keep in refrigeration. Be sure to refrigerate them when you get home and keep them refrigerated. The ones that have to be kept under refrigeration are the best pills. Idea Be sure to take them before, during and after the length of time you are taking antibiotics.

Yes, you can get cranberry pills. I used to take them and they do work. You should include them with your daily dose of vitamins. Cranberry juice (the kind that you SHOULD drink vs. the sugary stuff) is very tart and hard to swallow. Makes having UTIs that much worse IMHO! But, if you can swallow it, it would also be a good idea to have a glass a day to keep UTIs away. (OK, I did not mean for that last part to rhyme!) Laughing

Good luck and hope you feel better soon!
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:01 am      Reply with quote
thank you to everyone i REALLY appreciate all this information!!! i get chronic UTIs for the past 4 or 5 years. i was so in the dark about this stuff and the multiple doctors i was seeing didnt shed light on the situation.. the only help they give is just writing me a prescription for anti biotics.. they never told me about the antibiotics killing all the good bacteria too to make me more prone to infection and to get some good bacteria suppliments into me O.o but man you guys are a wealth of vital information.

i have tried cranberry pills and they do work.. but you really have to take them faithfully. it is absolutely imperative to drink enough water.. and never have sex if you are even a bit dehydrated that is a guaranteed UTI Mad
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
and never have sex if you are even a bit dehydrated that is a guaranteed UTI

Surprised I never knew this!

I hate UTI's they are soo uncomfortable, but I didnt know any other way to treat it other than doctor prescribing me antibiotics. I hate taking antibiotics for obvious reasons; but doctors never inform me of other ways. It's so easy for the doctor to write a prescription for antibiotics. I always find that they prescribe too many pills of antibiotics to take. I usually only go through half the bottle of pills and then stop taking them because my infection seems to be gone.
Also with cranberry juice, when I go to the grocery store I cant find natural cranberry juice. They seem to be all from concentrate and w/ lots of sugar (which I dont think will work for UTI's) Are there any good brand of cranberry juice that works?
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:20 am      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
Quote:
and never have sex if you are even a bit dehydrated that is a guaranteed UTI

Surprised I never knew this!

I hate UTI's they are soo uncomfortable, but I didnt know any other way to treat it other than doctor prescribing me antibiotics. I hate taking antibiotics for obvious reasons; but doctors never inform me of other ways. It's so easy for the doctor to write a prescription for antibiotics. I always find that they prescribe too many pills of antibiotics to take. I usually only go through half the bottle of pills and then stop taking them because my infection seems to be gone.
Also with cranberry juice, when I go to the grocery store I cant find natural cranberry juice. They seem to be all from concentrate and w/ lots of sugar (which I dont think will work for UTI's) Are there any good brand of cranberry juice that works?

Juicy Juice is the only 100% juice that I know of. I realize that cranberry juice is the most accessible remedy for UTI but, I cant stress D-mannose Plus enough. I swear that it knocks them out in about 2 hours. Its basically a concentrated version of the good stuff in cranberry juice. My bottle has lasted almost a year. BTW if you are going to take perscribed antibiotics for ANY problem, its really important to take ALL the pills in the bottle. Just make sure you are replenishing during with some form of Lactobacillus Acidophilus and for at least 1-2 weeks after meds are finished.

Another piece of little known info, women should pee before and most importantly after having sex to help prevent UTI's. Im not really sure of the reasoning behind this but it does help. Very Happy
ja2006
5% products discount

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:53 am      Reply with quote
My aunt used to have problems all the time with UTI's and some dr told her to go to a health food store and buy a bottle of Juniper Berries. She has since not had any more UTI's and she used to have them very often.

I hadn't ever had one and when I did, I also tried to Juniper Berry pills and if I took 3 a day, it usually only lasted about 2 days-3 at the most.

I'm not really sure what the pills are though. Also acidophilus is good too!
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="vonstella"][quote="BCgirl"]
Quote:

Another piece of little known info, women should pee before and most importantly after having sex to help prevent UTI's. Im not really sure of the reasoning behind this but it does help. Very Happy

Peeing is good especially after sex because it helps flush out any bacteria that might get pushed into the urethra during sex.
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:36 am      Reply with quote
It was fortunate that I stumbled across this thread, because I just ended up with a mild UTI this week! I have only had this once in my life, and it was well over 10 years ago...so I have no idea why this came out of the blue! Confused Anyway, I went to the docs and got antibiotics (Cipro), which pretty much stopped it before it really got going. But like BCGirl, I too hate taking antibiotics...so all these posts are great info for me to prevent future UTI's! I'm not a huge fan of cranberry juice, but I did find some super-concentrated soft gels (Nature's Bounty or Nature's Resource...can't rememeber!) that have the same "good stuff" in them, so I will now be taking those on a daily basis!

Thanks all!
Mary Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:54 am      Reply with quote
BC girl, I used to get UTI's all the time....so painful. My first sign was a pain in my lower right back (where your kidneys are)...when I started feeling that I started drinking alot of 100% Cranberry juice (it's pretty much always mixed with grape or some other juice...make sure it's 100% juice not cocktail) and plenty of water. They do have cranberry pills but you ahve to take tons of them..lol to equal a glass of Cranberry juice. I just started replacing my oj in the morning with cranberry juice.
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
Oh,those UTI's are just the pits.
One Dr told me to not wear pantyhose,unless I could find the type with a cotton croutch.And to wear only cotton panties. Cotton breathes,and it is natural.I have heard about the D-Mannose before,but the Plus sounds great.
I will be checking into that one for sure.
I just love all the tips we share. Smile
Have a wonderful day
Linda
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
I heard pantyhose are horrible for UTI's and cotton panties are best...cotton lets your skin breathe.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:26 am      Reply with quote
bex wrote:
BC girl, I used to get UTI's all the time....so painful. My first sign was a pain in my lower right back (where your kidneys are)...when I started feeling that I started drinking alot of 100% Cranberry juice (it's pretty much always mixed with grape or some other juice...make sure it's 100% juice not cocktail) and plenty of water. They do have cranberry pills but you ahve to take tons of them..lol to equal a glass of Cranberry juice. I just started replacing my oj in the morning with cranberry juice.

Ladies, if you are going to use cranberry juice to help with UTIs, please don't use the stuff off the shelf that is mixed with other flavors (such as the "Ocean Spray" line of cranberry juices). Like Bex says, it has to be 100% cranberry juice, and the less sugar the better.

As for the pills, I believe I have found an alternative to them.

One of the ladies (Scalawaggirl?) linked to this naturopathic doctor's website on another topic (dry skin brushing) and this product is listed as a favorite of the doctor's (note: emphasis added is mine):

"Cranberry Concentrate, Unsweetened, Tree of Life 16 oz. Bottle. This is my secret weapon for bladder infections. It makes the bladder slicker inside so bacteria can't stick to it and helps to tighten urethral sphincter muscles so you don't dribble. You'd have to drink a couple of gallons of Cranberry Juice off the shelf to get the same affect as just 2 tablespoons of this stuff. Plus, you'd be ingesting too much sugar and if your bladder infection had anything to do with yeast, the sugar would feed it. I put this stuff in a shot glass, down it, then chase it with an ounce or two of plain water. Repeat the treatment for about a week.

Here's the link to the actual product: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp;jsessionid=HDDL3R2PMHHXUCQUC4YFAFYKCQL00UNE?source=CJ&id=TR-1001&_requestid=271212

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for we ladies to use cranberry as a preventative. I have a friend who always drinks cranberry juice whenever we go to dinner, instead of water or soft drinks. She says she does it to prevent UTIs.

HTH.
bobosm
5% products discount

Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:01 am      Reply with quote
Thx for the sharing, Mermaid Girl, coz I'm one of those ppl who would still gulping gallons of ocean sprays and hoping it could work faster. Except that, I had some preventive pills prescribed by the physician, which I took once I saw signs of UTI. Cranberry pills just doesn't work for me (still don't know why Question ) Expecting my order of Cranberry Concentrate, Unsweetened, Tree of Life 16 oz. Bottle next week...
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:21 am      Reply with quote
bobosm wrote:
Thx for the sharing, Mermaid Girl, coz I'm one of those ppl who would still gulping gallons of ocean sprays and hoping it could work faster. Except that, I had some preventive pills prescribed by the physician, which I took once I saw signs of UTI. Cranberry pills just doesn't work for me (still don't know why Question ) Expecting my order of Cranberry Concentrate, Unsweetened, Tree of Life 16 oz. Bottle next week...

Yay! I'm so glad that passing on information will help someone! Dancing I'm probably going to order some of the concentrate myself to have on hand as a prevenative. Seems painless it you just gulp it down from a shot glass and chase it with water!

All the best to you! wave
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Hi MermaidGirl!

Thanks so much for posting this info! I started taking the cranberry pills, but I already take so many other supplements (pills/capsules) that I'd rather just down a shot of this instead. I was planning to go to the mall today anyway, and they have a Vitamin Shoppe there...so I will definitely get my hands on some of this stuff!

Mary Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my gosh ... I'm a pro at this one.

I used to get so many UTI's - and most of the doctors were horrible. I was told to cut out coffee, drink cranberry juice and it was implied that I didn't properly 'wipe myself' after using the bathroom.

I finally found a fantastic obgyn who said 'this is not normal'. He sent me to a urologist and they discovered I had a lot of scar tissue in my urethra from a bad fall I had when I was 4 years old.

I'm much, much better now but here's what I do/take:

1. Macrobid. I'm allergic to Cipro but macrobid is specific to that area and I do well on it. I take one capsule 'as needed'. I've learned to recognize when I might "need it".

2. I'm also so attuned now to my body - go to the pharmacy and look near the cranberry tablets for urinary health. There are newer formulas with anesthetic. Many times I take these if I feel a 'tingle'. It's always cleared me up in one day.

Hope this helps - send me a message if you want more info on names, etc.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |