Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Study: Women's Skin Ages Faster Than Men's
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:17 am      Reply with quote
I just saw the following on Yahoo! News from Reuters:

http://health.yahoo.com/news/167313

Women's skin ages faster than men's: study

October 3, 2006 05:21:54 PM PST

Women's skin ages faster than men's, according to a German study using a new laser-based technique to measure damage from sun exposure and aging.

The study, published in Optics Letters, a journal of the Optical Society of America, was based on a new technique in which doctors shine pulses of infrared laser light to look at the deeper layers of the skin and measure aging.

The imaging of collagen and elastin, whose degeneration causes wrinkles and loss of smoothness, found that women lose collagen faster than men.

"The dependence appeared to be sex-dependent, with women's skin losing collagen at faster rates than men's," according to the researchers from Germany's Freidrich Schiller University in Jena and the Fraunhofer Institute of Biomedical Technology in St. Ingbert.

Collagens are a group of proteins in the dermis, the connective tissue layer of the skin, and are responsible for the strength of skin. The human body makes a lot of collagen in youth but production declines with aging.

Currently, dermatologists who want to examine a patient's collagen network in the dermis have to remove a sample of tissue and look at it under a microscope.

Authors of the study said this new non-invasive test might one day help in testing anti-aging cosmetic products as well as in the study of skin diseases that affect the collagen structure.

Too bad they don't go into what to do about it...
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:16 am      Reply with quote
If they only knew......the world would be a far lesser place without women to keep in going in the right direction. No wonder we age faster with all the worry.....

I am not denying the study but I do wonder if the added burdens on women contribute to our skin's faster demise.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:15 am      Reply with quote
It's so bloody annoying, most men don't take care of there skin at all, don't bother with products and they still end up looking younger than us. My boyfriend for instance is three years older than me, SMOKES, uses SUNBEDS, wears OIL on the beach and i bet the bastard( ) will still look better than me when we are in our forties! Mad Mad Mad Mad
This REALLY does grate me! REALLY!
Rolling Eyes
Razz

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:25 am      Reply with quote
preenie - I'm nodding my head like crazy. That is so blummin' true. Why do older men look "distinguished", whilst we end up like old bags? Mad
preenie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:31 am      Reply with quote
it's soo true. My boyfriend actually brags that he's going to get BETTER as he gets older! And they do Mad
All very depressing!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:13 am      Reply with quote
Not for me...

My b/f and I are 10 months apart him being younger and he already has crows feet, but he's Irish and very fair skinned and it seems to run in his family since his older sister who's 27 has them already too.

So glad I'm asian Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:30 am      Reply with quote
yeah, my boyfriend does have alot more lines than me, but somehow they manage to pull it off.
If my skin was like his i'd look like shit Shock but him, he looks sexy! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:58 am      Reply with quote
It also has to do with the thickness of most men's skin (Irish obviously not so much so, Aries). My fiancé's got the whole rugged thing going on and has some significant wrinkles while I have zippity do dah (yay). You are right that, reversed, it would look terrible on me!

I guess it's one of the downsides of being a girl but there are so many upsides that I can live with it. Besides, CPs are rebuilding my collagen and Vitamin C helps, too. All for the good, I say.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, no doubt! I definitely don't want to volunteer a skin sample...it would be nice just to know what to do to help stop the process.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |