Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
Sunscreen - is it an American thing?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
valkyrie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi all, I'm new here and I've been reading this board with interest. I've noticed a lot of you use a separate sunscreen on your face, which surprised me, because it's definitely not a habit in the Netherlands, where I'm from. I've never even seen such a product in stores. Some moisturisers have an SPF, but not all. Using sunscreen doesn't seem to be an issue on the European LUSH forum, which I'm also a member of, either. So I was wondering: is it an American thing? I suppose northern Europe isn't very sunny, but then again, neither are all American states, are they? Enlighten me, please! Very Happy
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi valkyrie welcome to the forums Very Happy Im in Australia and couldnt imagine going without sunscreen Shock and neither could alot of aussies I know with our hot summers.However even on a cloudy day with no visible sun the uva rays are still there damaging our skin so I wear it all year round.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:04 am      Reply with quote
Hi valkyrie welcome to the forums Very Happy Im in Australia and couldnt imagine going without sunscreen Shock and neither could alot of aussies I know with our hot summers.However even on a cloudy day with no visible sun the uva rays are still there damaging our skin so I wear it all year round.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi Valkyrie
It's not just an American thing. I think most of us are concerned about protection from UVA even if the sun isn't the hottest. There are EDS users living in Northern Europe who use SS daily too. A lot of anti-aging actives such as Retinoids and acids can make your skin more susceptible to sun damage.
Molly Cool
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum! I am from Canada and our winters rival your Northern Europe's! However, i still use a sunscreen year round. There are UV rays all the time! On cloudy days, sunny days, rainy days... Even snow and sidewalk can send off glares of UV rays! Those evil little things also sneak into your house Shock so yes yes, sunscreen is a must!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
i'm living in France and you can't walk into a pharmacie or market here without being inundated with sunscreens even in the dead of winter (when you don't see sun for days on end). it's definitely not just an American thing.
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that it's not just an American thing--it's a skincare fanatic's thing!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
A lot of people use different sunscreens on there faces because the skin oin the face may be more sensitive than the skin on the body, or more prone to breakouts/rashes. But it's good to use a sunscreen with good UVA protection on the ace and body (hands/arms whatever is exposed) regardless of whether you spend time outside dur the day or not. I'm certain this isn't just an American thing, especially considering Australians and the trouble they ace with the Ozone hole right over their country.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
On the other hand I'm not so inclined to wear something heavy duty in northern Europe in the winter. I used to just use a light, make-up style, mineral screen 15spf (Clinique) and even while I'm better educated about sunscreen chemicals these days, I personally believe the sun (including UVA) is not so damaging in the northern hemisphere in winter and I may revert to that kind of thing when I go back to the UK soon. But we're divided over the 'UVA ever present or UVA less in winter' debate.

Just to confuse Smile
valkyrie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:12 am      Reply with quote
Maybe it's just us Dutch people that can't be bothered then Laughing
I'll have to take a good look around the drugstore next time I'm there, to check if they sell facial sunscreens! Or slather on more mineral makeup of course, as that's supposed to provide an SPF too Wink
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:20 am      Reply with quote
They definitely do sell facial sunscreens in the Netherlands - either in drugstores or sometimes in natural food shops. There's actually a pretty good choice, with brands that I can't find here in the UK.

If do a search here in the EDS forum, you'll find that a lot of people have difficulty in finding a good sunscreen with an acceptable texture. Some are way too greasy and leave a white cast on your face - but those are often the ones with the highest SPF. There's also a choice between chemical sunscreens and physical ones. It's all a bit of a nightmare trying to choose! Laughing

Best to try a few to see which one works best for you.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
Aside from this site I really do not think it is an american thing. I am the only person that I know who wears an SPF on a daily basis in real life. Everyone else teases me and tells me I overreact. Even those who are skincare lovers that i know of do not use a sunscreen. sad really, but it's so important to protect the skin

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
I know I *should* wear sunscreen, but I don't burn, and I enjoy having a dark tan Cool I know that I might pay for it eventually, when I'm 60 and old and wrinkled! But, yes, it does seem like my fellow Americans are all about sunscreen.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Red Devil
I don't know how old you are now, but I think you might pay a little earlier than that. I'm the same; don't burn and used to love a deep tan. I haven't done the deep tan thing since I turned thirty just gentle tanning, but it still shows. You might be luckier than me with your genes though. Trouble is the UVA part of the spectrum is supposed to be the most aging so whether you burn or not is neither here nor there.

At the moment I still want to look nice, but I can just imagine myself post-menopause becoming one of those extra-wrinkly, deeply tanned, happy, old people who are always out on the beach.

If people were honest I think we'd find more EDS users than we thought don't wear SS except for big UV exposure days. It's just they won't admit it in public and who can blame them considering what happens on some boards with sunscreen cops and all.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:57 am      Reply with quote
I settle for just a 15+ that dosent have the best uva protection on days I know I'll get minimal exposure as they usually have a nicer texture.
kalegr
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:29 am      Reply with quote
Speaking for myself, I'm an aussie, I try to be quite vigilant about protecting my skin from sun damage to avoid developing skin cancer. In Australia, skin cancers account for around 81% of all new cancers diagnosed each year. Sunscreen is definitely not an American thing, we have public education campaigns about skin cancer to increase community awareness of the damaging effects of UV light.
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:12 am      Reply with quote
purpleturtle wrote:
I am the only person that I know who wears an SPF on a daily basis in real life. Everyone else teases me and tells me I overreact. Even those who are skincare lovers that i know of do not use a sunscreen.

I can relate to PurpleTurtle. I live in Northern U.S. and wear SPF 30 everyday rain or shine. I don't know anyone else who wears a sunblock on their face and some people think I am being silly. Let's see who is being silly when I am 80 years old with skin as smooth as a baby's bottom. Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:35 am      Reply with quote
Definitely not! I too live in Canada, and I'll wear sunscreen on any sunny day, including in winter (especially in winter when I'm skiing!)
Red Devil
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:45 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
Hi Red Devil
I don't know how old you are now, but I think you might pay a little earlier than that. I'm the same; don't burn and used to love a deep tan. I haven't done the deep tan thing since I turned thirty just gentle tanning, but it still shows. You might be luckier than me with your genes though. Trouble is the UVA part of the spectrum is supposed to be the most aging so whether you burn or not is neither here nor there.

At the moment I still want to look nice, but I can just imagine myself post-menopause becoming one of those extra-wrinkly, deeply tanned, happy, old people who are always out on the beach.

If people were honest I think we'd find more EDS users than we thought don't wear SS except for big UV exposure days. It's just they won't admit it in public and who can blame them considering what happens on some boards with sunscreen cops and all.

Hi Molly! Smile

Thank you for the advice. It is indeed something I worry about, but my mother is American Indian and, at 58, is not yet wrinkled, so hopefully I've inherited her genes. My dad, on the other hand, was Irish and fair, so probably I've gotten a good mixture of both. Confused

I've taken to using Oil of Olay (the pink kind) and I take a lot of silicon and HA for my skin, so hopefully that will help stave off the negative effects of the sun.

I have heard, though, that you can get a tan through sunscreen. My mom says that happens with her. Anyone else noticed this?

Peace! Cool
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:13 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I have heard, though, that you can get a tan through sunscreen. My mom says that happens with her. Anyone else noticed this?

No sunscreen's 100% effective, but if she's tanning regularly it's might be down to either using a sunscreen that needs reapplying regularly and not doing that or that the sunscreen protects well against UVB so no burning, but is protecting badly against UVA which can give you a tan. She needs a better sunscreen basically.

Have you thought of using a Vitamin C serum? That's one of the most photo-protective anti-oxidants you can use and it won't stop you tanning Wink
Red Devil
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:48 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
Quote:

No sunscreen's 100% effective, but if she's tanning regularly it's might be down to either using a sunscreen that needs reapplying regularly and not doing that or that the sunscreen protects well against UVB so no burning, but is protecting badly against UVA which can give you a tan. She needs a better sunscreen basically.

Have you thought of using a Vitamin C serum? That's one of the most photo-protective anti-oxidants you can use and it won't stop you tanning Wink

My mom doesn't get out into the sun much (not in direct sunlight, anyway), but she's one of these people that tan just from walking outside, even more than I do. I think she was using No-Ad 30 SPF.

Ooh! Where does one purchase a Vitamin C serum, and how does one use it?
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:12 am      Reply with quote
You can buy it here Smile, there and everywhere and comes in many shapes, sizes and prices. I think this is the cheapest one on EDS and it's the first one I used
Cellular Skin Rx C + Firming Serum
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/face-eyes-and-lip-care-m_352_354.htm
If you scroll through the skincare backpages you'll find lots of threads about Vit C and which to choose.
You just put a few drops on your bare skin either am or pm, let it soak in and get to work attacking free radicals.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:
purpleturtle wrote:
I am the only person that I know who wears an SPF on a daily basis in real life. Everyone else teases me and tells me I overreact. Even those who are skincare lovers that i know of do not use a sunscreen.

I can relate to PurpleTurtle. I live in Northern U.S. and wear SPF 30 everyday rain or shine. I don't know anyone else who wears a sunblock on their face and some people think I am being silly. Let's see who is being silly when I am 80 years old with skin as smooth as a baby's bottom. Bad Grin

I don't necessarily think it is any better in the sunnier parts of the US. I live in Arizona and do not know anyone that uses sunscreen everyday like I do. I do see people using it when I go to different events and things like that. But even then alot of people don't even put sunscreen on until they have been in the sun for a hour, two hours or until they start to get red. Shock
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
i live in Canada and i just learned recently that we should wear sunscreen all day and all year around. i dont use it because the metro station is only 5 mintues away from my home, and my office has underground access from the metro station, so basically i am only exposed to sunshine about 10 mintues each day during weekdays. my question to all, even in that case is it necessary to put on sunscreen given that i am staying in office for about 9 hours?
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
nevertheless, i bought sisley's all day all year SPF15, it is very good, a bit pricy but not greasy at all. it can replace your daily moisturlizer.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |