Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Haba line from Japan...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
So I was googling Sofina Nuance Up (ended up buying it off ebay) and came across a website from Japan and just started going through all of the different skin care lines. The had the usual Kose, DHC, Sonfina...but there was one line, Haba that caught my eye. I decided to do a search here on EDS...very few posts. And I checked on MUA. It seems not many people actually know about this line but those that use it love it.

I found an American distributor out of the Pacific Northwest (Portland I think?):www.habaus.com

Some of their products are super inexpensive, their powder wash is 18 bucks for a bottle that customers says can last for months and months because you use so little.

But then their toner, for only 4.3 oz (that folks swear by, their VC toner) is 33 bucks.

Anyhoo...I decided to take a chance, because of the raves, and ordered their powder wash, VC toner and the smaller (.37 oz) vial of Fair Lady (White Lady in Japan) which is a Vitamin C serum (it's only 14 bucks, but you do only get a teeny amount. The larger 1.1 oz is 39 bucks.)

I'm awaiting my order right now...as soon as I try it out I'll post a review. Their philosophy is products without additives, no parabens, mineral oils, synthetic fragrances, etc. For this reason, their serums have a short shelf life (I think that's why they sell them in such small amounts) but anything that is without additives gets a check in the good column for me!

If anyone has any experience with the products in this line, please post! I'm curious!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Paris--i took a look at the site really quickly and the brand reminds me of fancl and dhc fused together. it sounds very intriging. my god, everything sounds tempting lately! keep us updated on how you like the products ok?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
On the subject of Nuance Up, does anyone know whether 1) it is stable or not, or 2) the PPD? I like the "user experience" of this product but I worry about if it's stable and what the protection level is. All the info. on the bottle is in Japanese. Smile
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:34 am      Reply with quote
I have heard of HABA and seen a few ads, but never tried it. Does look interesting...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
The line looks interesting. My main concern would be that their pure squalane is shark liver derived and not olive derived. Since so many of their products contain squalane I would imagine that they are using the skark liver squalane in all those products. This may not be a big deal but I am under the impression that the skark liver derived squalane is inferior to the olive derived one. If it were true, it would make me wonder about the quality of the product line in general. I wonder if anyone knows more about squalane and whether one is better than the other?
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
I thought that the stuff from sharks was squalene, not squalane. Squalane being derived only from olives. Question
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
Poco Loco I also though the same thing. But Haba calls their stuff squalane even the pure squalane which they clearly say is shark liver derived! Confused

EDIT: this is from their FAQs:
What is Squalane?
Made from squalene (shark liver oil), this beauty oil is 99.9% pure. Squalene is the same oil found in your own skin so it naturally moisturizes.
What is the other .01%?
Hydrogen is used in the squalene purification process and therefore we can only say the Squalane is 99.99. . .% pure.
Does Squalane smell fishy?
No. HABA's squalane is refined many times and is highly purified so it has no smell. More of a concern is that it easily absorbs other smells like perfumes, etc., so make sure that the cap is firmly closed after use.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Does it clog pores?
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare I brough up the whole issue of squalane and clogged pores in the AP thread also. Here is a link to a thread that I started about squalane and clogged pores. I don't think it was ever decided for sure....

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=16001&highlight=squalane
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know what to say about squalane. Maybe I should not worry since I will be sticking with Cellcosmet.
I really respect Swiss and Japan skincare products. Overall, they must make the best moisterizers.
Maybe the Americans make the best Vitamin C and all types of Retinal.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
Poco Loco I also though the same thing. But Haba calls their stuff squalane even the pure squalane which they clearly say is shark liver derived! Confused

EDIT: this is from their FAQs:
What is Squalane?
Made from squalene (shark liver oil), this beauty oil is 99.9% pure. Squalene is the same oil found in your own skin so it naturally moisturizes.
What is the other .01%?
Hydrogen is used in the squalene purification process and therefore we can only say the Squalane is 99.99. . .% pure.
Does Squalane smell fishy?
No. HABA's squalane is refined many times and is highly purified so it has no smell. More of a concern is that it easily absorbs other smells like perfumes, etc., so make sure that the cap is firmly closed after use.

PocoLoco is correct...SqualEne is from a different source (sharks) than squalAne (olives). I think this is a typo on the Haba website. They mean the one from sharks, with an E. It's an easy typo to make Smile
And not all of their products have it. None of the three that I ordered have it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:00 am      Reply with quote
Yeah...I'm suspecting that they either made a typo (twice?) or that they are misleading the public on the alleged conversion of squalene to squalane. In other words, if shark liver really is their source, then I do not think it ends up as squalane even after they process it.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
I think it is just a typo. The descriptions on habaus.com are from their Japanese website that has been translated into English (www.haba.com). I just think they don't realize the typo and probably happened in translation. Many times such a typo doesn't mean much of a difference except in this case. Since they say their source is shark, I don't think they mean to intend the final product is squalAne...they mean squalEne. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt and they aren't trying to mislead or anything. I mean, you can't get squalAne from shark...they are both oils and both have very similar names.

Typos happen alot with wording on websites and names of products that have been translated into english or have english versions from other countries. They might not see the difference in name, especially if they have Japanese folks translating it into English. Even English speakers would not necessarily catch it right away nec. unless they are very familiar with both. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Yep...that makes sense.
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
Wanted to bump this because I'm currently looking at HABA's Fair/White Lady since it contains 6% vit c derivative (sodium ascorbyl phosophate) That's 1% higher than the JB C&C serum I'm using now. Not sure if there's a huge difference between sodium ascorbyl phosphate in the HABA versus the magnesium ascorbyl phosphate in JB's C&C.

Has anyone else tried this line recently and can post reviews?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried it and loved it but I haven't used JB so I can't comment on how they compare.

HABA White Lady works better for me than Decleor's vit C (forgot the name) - clearer, brighter and smoother skin within days. Decleor didn't do anything at all (which was a huge disappointment, seeing that it wasn't cheap and that I loved their other stuff, particularly cleansing stuff)

HTH some.

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:53 am      Reply with quote
Oh , I have tried HABA cleansing powder, but it didn't work for me..
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:03 am      Reply with quote
The sodium ascorbyl phosphate in HABA White Lady is supposed to be quite stable with some evidence it has useful effects for skin, e.g. whitening, collagen stimulation. It helps to brighten skin in a lot of people who used it. I'm not sure if the antioxidant effect is as strong as for those more expensive commercial vit.C products like Skinceuticals but I think the shorter term skin brightening effects are possible. Of course, as with all skincare, your milege may vary.

I'm not sure if the sunscreen would be highly protective or not. Japanese brand sunscreens are usually not as protective as the European brands like Avene, La Roche Posay, RoC.
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
I heard the white lady is good, but I did not use before.
Have someone can share?
evenet
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:47 am      Reply with quote
I try whitelady and lots otehr Haba products for me, but it's nothing to do with my skin. No improvement. So I never use it again.
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
I think Haba is quite similar to H2O and Fancl. Their products are mild and general. But I don't think they work for matured skin.
neroliwater
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
I've used Fair Lady and their G lotion (toner) for around two months now. The products are gentle and they don't have paraben. My skin has less break out since I used them. The dark spots left from previous breakouts faded a little faster but not obvious overall skin brightening.

I think their products are good for people who have good skin to start with. But if you want to target specific skin problems such as hyperpigmentation, don't get your hope up.
evenet
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:16 am      Reply with quote
neroliwater wrote:
I've used Fair Lady and their G lotion (toner) for around two months now. The products are gentle and they don't have paraben. My skin has less break out since I used them. The dark spots left from previous breakouts faded a little faster but not obvious overall skin brightening.

I think their products are good for people who have good skin to start with. But if you want to target specific skin problems such as hyperpigmentation, don't get your hope up.

neroliwater, totally agree w/ u!
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:56 am      Reply with quote
I'm actually currently using Haba (and would still be till my Decleor products get here anyway haha).

But yup would agree with the fact that overall Haba is pretty good in that it won't cause any break-outs or problems. But it wouldn't really give any spectacular results as well.

The cleansers are generally quite good but recently they changed the formulation for their powder wash and I think the old one was better. I'll advise going for the new squa facial foam if your skin tends to dry out easier.

Toners wise, I've tried both their G & VC lotion. Supposedly VC is better for combi-skin but I felt it a little bit too rich for my combi-dry. I prefer G as it's lighter. But the best from Haba is still the platinum rose mist which can be used as a toner or a refresher during the day. It's light, smells good and moisturizing as well Smile

Squalane (not too sure what it's made from) but it really is moisturizing. Texture's quite soft only when you put too much you'll end up feeling a little oily/sticky. Apart from my face, I use it on my dry hands/feet and it worked wonders, especially with my cracked heels. I would probably still continue to use it even after going to Decleor.

White lady worked well, for the first 2-3 15ml bottles anyway. Afterwards somehow it just didn't seem to be of any use anymore. But be careful, using too much can cause breakouts due to the Vit. C concentration.

White knight's good for blemishes and pimples, and it turns quite matt upon application so texture's pretty good. It's probably one of the more better blemish-creams but kinda pricy man.

As for Haba's eye treatment range, it didn't do any good basically. Felt just like a normal moisturizer without really helping to lighten my dark circles - though I probably didn't help things by sleeping late most of the time Bad Grin

The other product I'll recommend is their sunscreen - the UV cut SPF 25. It's really good in that it's not that heavy while being both a sunscreen and moisturizer. And with only one application I withstood 1.5 hrs of tennis in the hot noon sun without turning any darker at all! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:53 am      Reply with quote
hot line . the serum is very good for acne.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:20 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |