Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
How to prevent eye shadow melting by oil?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
liangzhiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:19 am      Reply with quote
I would like to try those beatiful eye shadow for long time, however, my eyelips are quite oily. Everytime after I put on eye shadow an hour, they are melted by oil and look pretty terrible. But I don't see others have this problem. Can anyone tell me how to keep eye shadow longer time? Thanks
mk
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:33 am      Reply with quote
have you tried MAC eye paints? i find that if i use those as a base, eye shadow stays put.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:26 am      Reply with quote
Yes, MAC Paints are fantastic. There's also a really good eyelid primer by Urban Decay called Potion that should help.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:13 am      Reply with quote
My next purchase for my eyeshadow base will be one of the MAC paints...otherwise I've been using Benefit FY...Eye for several years now. I'm switching only because the paints are a bit cheaper, but I truly love the Benefit product and will definately go back to it if I'm not happy with MAC.

My skin is oily and always had problems with eyeshadow meltdown because of it. After I started using a base as a primer, I never had a problem (but you need to find a good one. I tried a few, like clinque, which didn't work).

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:13 am      Reply with quote
i used to use mac paints everyday (i recommend mac paint stilife--it's a nice base color, slight shimmer and is also a great highlighter). but ever since i began using clarins sun wrinkle eye cream spf 30, i find that my eye shadow stays put without the paint as a base.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
mk wrote:
have you tried MAC eye paints? i find that if i use those as a base, eye shadow stays put.

Are MAC paints a better base than the shadesticks? I was about to get a bunch after seeing one my friend was wearing.
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
Alot of people use Urban Decay PRimer Potion

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="my sushi secret"][quote="mk"]have you tried MAC eye paints? i find that if i use those as a base, eye shadow stays put.[/quote]

Are MAC paints a better base than the shadesticks? I was about to get a bunch after seeing one my friend was wearing.[/quote]

sorry, but i have only used the eye paints, which, quite frankly, ROCK! i have a whole lot of them in different colours to use either for different effects.
vinlynus
5% products discount

Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
What about the Lumene Eye Makeup Base? It's available at Walgreens and CVS.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
my sushi secret wrote:

Are MAC paints a better base than the shadesticks? I was about to get a bunch after seeing one my friend was wearing.

Shadesticks were sort of disappointing. I had high hopes for them but they DO crease and they are a pain to get on your eyelids, you have to rub and sometimes it doesn't go on evenly so I have to blend it with a brush. They're handy and some people really like them (I used to like Clinique's eyeshadow sticks but they d/c). Paints to some are more of a hassle to put on than shadesticks but they are pretty easy to handle to me. You can also mix paints to get the shade you want so the answer to your question is I prefer paints. But alas paints are limited in colour so I still use my shadestick as a base as I find the best base for me is a light/pale pink which I found in pink couture. But if you want a nude base, paints are the way to go.

Also, if you're not in a rush I'd wait and see what comes out this year with MAC holiday. Sometimes they have sets of paints and sets of shadesticks which is great value for your money and you get to try out a bunch of colours.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:30 am      Reply with quote
As the owner of the oiliest eyelids on the face of this Earth, I can truthfully testify that Urban Decay Primer Potion and/or Lumene Eye Makeup Base (FYI - CVS is the only authorized U.S. distributor of Lumene products, not Walgreens) keep my eyelids almost completely oil-free for 8+ hours. I got a teeny bit of creasing by about Hour 10 or 12, but considering that my eye shadow used to slide off my eyelid within an hour of application, I'll take it!

The price of Lumene is only slightly cheaper than the UDPP ($10USD vs. $15USD) but both work equally well. As I said, Lumene can be found at CVS pharmacies while Ulta and Sephora both carry the Urban Decay product line.

The great thing about either of these eyemakeup primers is that you can use them with ANY type/brand of eyemakeup that you already own. It keeps eyeliner from skidding off, too!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:09 am      Reply with quote
Another suggestion here for Urban Decay Primer Potion. Amazing in a bottle, and not too expensive either-- $14. There's a primer at Sally Beauty Supply that I tried and it worked okay by the end of the work day, but by the end of the evening my eye shadow was still kaput. Primer Potion last ALLLLLL day.
liangzhiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:16 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for your reply. But unfortunately, I can only find MAC in my small city. It seems it is my only choice now. I will go there to try tomorrow.
lmv
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Benefit has a nude primer locks on eye shadows - called f.y..eye.
it prevents greasy, creasy eye lids! Stop eye shadow sliding with this apricot
Wink

http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/gp/home.html/104-3719532-2660735

5% products discount

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
I just use loose powder before shadows. it works for me.
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
I powder my eyes before applying shadow. If I'm using a brush...tap off the excess shadow.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:16 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
As the owner of the oiliest eyelids on the face of this Earth, I can truthfully testify that Urban Decay Primer Potion and/or Lumene Eye Makeup Base (FYI - CVS is the only authorized U.S. distributor of Lumene products, not Walgreens) keep my eyelids almost completely oil-free for 8+ hours. I got a teeny bit of creasing by about Hour 10 or 12, but considering that my eye shadow used to slide off my eyelid within an hour of application, I'll take it!

The price of Lumene is only slightly cheaper than the UDPP ($10USD vs. $15USD) but both work equally well. As I said, Lumene can be found at CVS pharmacies while Ulta and Sephora both carry the Urban Decay product line.

The great thing about either of these eyemakeup primers is that you can use them with ANY type/brand of eyemakeup that you already own. It keeps eyeliner from skidding off, too!

P.S. Before I apply my UDPP, I make sure to smooth a tiny bit of Milk of Magnesia (chorus: "Yes, the laxative!") onto my eyelids, as well. MoM is one of my secret weapons in my battle against oily skin and I apply it all over my face as a mattifier/primer before putting on my makeup.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:12 am      Reply with quote
I tried the UD primer lid potion and it IS amazing - my eyeliner holds all day. Thank you Carekate and all others for recommending this product.
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
I decided to try the Revlon Vital Radiance eye shadow primer after all the raves on the mineralmania boards. (delphi forums.)

This works really well. It is discontinued in the US so if you like this product pick it up while it is available.

Currently in Canada SDM has it 30% off. Regular cost is about $17.00 cdn which is pricy for a drug store item but it really works. I have tried all sorts of MMU primers, etc.

I no longer have to blot my eyelids. I use blotting sheets all over my face including eyelids; but now my shadow stays put and no blotting!
leungmy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
Use the Lola eye shadow base before applying.
rayofsun
5% products discount

Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:00 am      Reply with quote
Recently a Chanel girl at the mall tried some eyeshadows on me and used Chanel Professional Eye Shadow Base first. I must tell you, I had a hard time getting the eyeshadow off at night, it was sealed so tight. It definitely prevented oiliness and made the shadow stay on very long.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:34 am      Reply with quote
I used to use MMU or face powder but my problem is having the eye shadow fade and disappear.

I now use Urban Decay primer and sheer eye shadows stay put all day.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |