Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Drinking water
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
IcyFire
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ladies Smile

You hear it everywhere - Drinking 8 glasses of water a day helps maintain a flawless complexion, but how true is this?? I have a hard time trying to drink one glass, let alone 8. I was just wondering if it really makes a difference on the skin. I dont wanna be the annoying one having to go to the bathroom every minute because im drinking a river everyday.

Icy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
A few years ago I started with 4 glasses, then 6, then 8 and then more! Laughing
I did not do it for my skin, but to help me lose weight. I tried to move around a lot more on daily basis and that help me lose 5 pounds. It did take me a year to lose the 5 pounds but that will show you how hard it was to change my lifestyle. Also I have a medical condition that affects my weight.
But overall I lost weight the right way and I was 130 and went down to 104 pounds.
As for my skin, it did look a bit better but it was my hormones that caused cystic acne and eventually I saw the dermo about it and now I use Vitamin A Acid cream.
I think overall, it is good to hydrate your body.
About going to the bathroom, at least it makes you move around a lot more.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
I've drunk loads of water for years. I don't suffer from acne so I wouldn't know if it helps on that front, but if I don't have the chance to drink so much water my wrinkles look much worse very quickly so it defo keeps the skin plumped.

You don't have to go to the bathroom that often. Maybe you're just not used to it.
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
It really depends on the quality of the water you are drinking.

The standard american diet is SO dehydrating, that's why they suggest 8 glasses of water per day.

If you are eating loads of water rich foods (raw fruits and veggies etc), then you will be plenty hydrated.
leyel
5% products discount

Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
I notice a difference when I don't drink my normal intake, which is about a gallon a day. I notice more fine lines on the forehead. So staying hydrated does make a difference for me.

Your body will adjust to the increase and instead of going every 10 to 15 minutes, you'll go less frequently but produce more volume.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
I noticed a difference when I started drinking more water (weight and skin). I love cold water. You actually burn calories by drinking cold water because your body has to heat up the water in order to use it. It also helps with flushing out the toxins in your body. I keep a glass of water next to me at work at all times. I don't mind the multiple trips (gives me a mini workout).

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
I'm told that really cold drinks kill friendly bacteria in your stomach though, is that true? The Chinese think it's really bad for you, but I'm never sure why.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
I'm told that really cold drinks kill friendly bacteria in your stomach though, is that true? The Chinese think it's really bad for you, but I'm never sure why.

I'm Chinese but I don't like to drink hot water like a lot of my people do. Laughing

I never heard anything about it killing the friendly bacteria.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
Really cold water is not good for you. It drains your energy, and shocks your system. It also upsets digestion... I think the Chinese think this way also.

Room temperature or warm water is best.

Also, most bottled waters are not recommended because the plastic leeches into the water. Plastic is obviously toxic.
leyel
5% products discount

Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:

I don't really know for sure, but I seriously doubt it. I prefer cold water, and I've never experienced any ill effects from it.

I drink it cold because as Yen pointed out, it burns more calories. (Your body has to heat it up to body temp). Don't know exaclty how many calories, but every little bit helps, right? Very Happy
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't know exaclty how many calories, but every little bit helps, right?

Not for me leyel, I'm as thin as a rake. Think I'll stay away from the iced drinks from now on. Laughing
leyel
5% products discount

Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
Quote:
Don't know exaclty how many calories, but every little bit helps, right?

Not for me leyel, I'm as thin as a rake. Think I'll stay away from the iced drinks from now on. Laughing

Then I guess you should be getting your water in the form of a Starbucks Venti Caramel Macchiato with Extra Whipped Cream, with a Frappuccino chaser. Wink
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
my complexion looks a lot better when i drink enough water a day.. like 80+oz. granted i have to goto the bathroom every friggin half hour. this week i started a new job and have not been drinking as much water as i used to and my skin looks horrible and red and dehydrated... so i guess its going to the bathroom alot/having good skin vs. convenience.. convenience wins out a lot Sad
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
I have really fallen off the water-wagon--I used to drink about 6-8 glasses a day and now am lucky if I get 4 (having a free water cooler at work helped). I did notice that I felt more energetic and clear-headed when I drank a lot of water and my skin was brighter and clearer. My lips also didn't get as dried out.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
I'm another one that doesn't get enough water. I keep forgetting to take a bottle to work with me - God forbid my boss would actually ever buy WATER for his employees (there are only 2 of us, for Pete's sake!).

A few years ago I was doing a diet that was higher in protein, lower in carbs. I was supposed to drink at least 64 oz. of water a day, but I drank easily 96 oz. or more. I'm sure it was a combination of the water and the higher protein, but my skin, hair and nails were in the best shape ever. I was in a much larger firm at the time and people kept coming over and saying "Oh my God, you are JUST glowing!" I'm sure water has to help the skin and body with hydration and flushing waste from the system.

My Mom told me about an article she read in some health magazine that gave a calculation of the amount of water a person should ACTUALLY consume on a daily basis, and it involved a calculation of your body weight multiplied by how ever many ounces the article was recommending (I forget now). Even for a person who weighed 125 pounds, the amount that should be consumed was WAY more than 64 oz. per day, and if you are active (exercise a lot) the amount goes even higher.

Increasing water intake gradually is the best way to do it vs. suddenly starting one day to drink 80 oz. Everyone has to go to the tinkletorium more often when increasing water intake, but I've also read that once you maintain a high water intake, your body and bladder adjust and you won't have to go as often.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
I have read that it depends on the size of the glass. drinking too much water can actually mess up the electrolytes in your body or something.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:29 am      Reply with quote
I try to drink water throughout the day, as often as I can. I suffer with congested skin and it doesn't seem to help that, but it certaintly does help to keep you hydrated. When I don't drink enough, I too notice a kind of crepy look to my skin (which I'm told is dehydration). Also, I've heard that drinking water at room tempreture is better for you, because your body absorbs it better. Once your body gets used to drinking more water, the less you will be running to the loo.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:53 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I have read that it depends on the size of the glass. drinking too much water can actually mess up the electrolytes in your body or something.

This following is extracted from an article I recently read on water for your body

How much of water is too much

Medha (expert in hydration science) cautions against the new fad of detoxification which has people downing large quantities of water through the day. “Our body has a natural system to detoxify itself. Too much water may jeopardise the electrolyte balance of the body making one feel bloated and nauseated. In fact, athletes who lose huge amounts of sweat are advised not to drink just water, they must have water and electrolytes. Drinking huge amounts of plain water after massive sweat loss leads to electrolyte imbalance. The brain is very sensitive to this and it may try and take in large amounts of water in to compensate for the electrolyte deficiency. In many a case this has lead to brain swelling and even death,” she says.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:35 am      Reply with quote
kalegr wrote:
Quote:

This following is extracted from an article I recently read on water for your body

Medha (expert in hydration science) cautions against the new fad of detoxification which has people downing large quantities of water through the day. “Our body has a natural system to detoxify itself. Too much water may jeopardise the electrolyte balance of the body making one feel bloated and nauseated. In fact, athletes who lose huge amounts of sweat are advised not to drink just water, they must have water and electrolytes. Drinking huge amounts of plain water after massive sweat loss leads to electrolyte imbalance. The brain is very sensitive to this and it may try and take in large amounts of water in to compensate for the electrolyte deficiency. In many a case this has lead to brain swelling and even death,” she says.

This is true ... I remember one day while I was on the higher protein diet, I drank 100 oz. of water before noon and felt totally nauseated and light-headed (almost like I was drunk from alcohol). Embarassed It was strange! So, even though it is essential to our bodies, just like everything else more is not necessarily better! Very Happy
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:37 am      Reply with quote
Lucinda wrote:

Also, most bottled waters are not recommended because the plastic leeches into the water. Plastic is obviously toxic.

I've heard this also...but not for bottles that you buy and use one. I believe this may pertain to those indivduals that keep re-using the same water bottle after the initial water bottled from the company is consumed.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:54 am      Reply with quote
On the Rosa Y Fruta website she recommends never using tap water to wash your face - but recommends a water from the aqua maestro website. I would welcome everyone's thoughts on this.

Linda
bebeblondie

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
kalegr wrote:
Quote:

Yup. I have personal experience with this. Me, being young and naive (speaking of water - Evian spelled backwards = naive! lol. anyways ..) I heard about the whole 'drinking lots of water is good for you' thing and I automatically thought, well, the more the better, right? Not so. I drank way too much (not sure exactly how much, but at least 2 1/2 500 ml bottles in under half an hour. haha! I was chugging it!). I felt very weird Confused ... someone else described it as feeling almost drunk, which I guess is sorta what it was like.. just funny in the head, dizzy sort of, stomach felt gross ... I could not for the life of me figure out why I felt so sick/weird, so I just decided to take a nap. Then my mom realised how much water I had drank, and rushed out to buy me some drink to restore my electrolytes, and that helped a lot.

Anyways, yeah, so too much of a good thing is never a good thing. Now I just keep a bottle on hand (a fresh new bottle - no re-using them, that's bad, as someone else mentioned) and take sips, lol.

to answer linda123 about the tap water for your face - my skin is acne-prone and oily, and, well, not in the best condition lately. I read on some website about using filtered water to wash your face, and me, who is willing to try pretty much anything, went out and got an on-tap Brita filter for my bathroom sink. I've only been using the filtered water to wash my face for a couple weeks now, so I know I'll have to give it some time before I can decide whether it makes an improvement, but it definitely won't make it worse, so, worth a shot, right? Smile
lefemme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:47 am      Reply with quote
With bottled water the bottle is intended for that one use only, however Rubbermaid and Nalene both makes bottles that can be reused. I ordered a Nalene bottle, fill it up with filtered water from home, and take it to work with me. These bottles however need to be cleaned daily but last forever!! HTH
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:16 am      Reply with quote
This is new to me. Tap Water is bad for skin. I usually use lots of water for face wash, kinda follow the erno laszlo routine of 30 splashes of water during cleansing.

I guess I really have to stock up my brita filter or aqua maestro? Anyway, what is aqua maestro?
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:18 am      Reply with quote
lefemme wrote:
With bottled water the bottle is intended for that one use only, however Rubbermaid and Nalene both makes bottles that can be reused. I ordered a Nalene bottle, fill it up with filtered water from home, and take it to work with me. These bottles however need to be cleaned daily but last forever!! HTH

That was my point in my previous post. Interesting about the Nalene and Rubbermaid bottles..I'll have to look into those.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |