Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How to treat congested pores??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
My skin is looking better after the huge breakout I had about 2 weeks ago, but my pores still look congested! Should I exfoliate with AHA or BHA? Or is there something else I can do to clear up the pores? Help help Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Something that has worked really well for me is the IS Clinical Super Serum in the AM and the Active Serum at night (I alternate nights). I think this has made a big difference. I'm still breaking out a bit, but even my SO commented the other day that my face is looking clearer. The other thing I think has helped is the Aloette moisturizer I've started using again. I think it has salicylic acid in it (Cellular Day Defense with SPF). I used to have alot of underneath bumps around my chin area that never really came to the surface, but seemed congested. A few days back I was rubbing my chin and I realized they were gone!! They'd seemed to have been there forever, so I was very excited that this routine seems to be working. HTH!
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
My method is cheaper: I use OCM and/or my homemade DHCC.

The DHCC has been the best pore-decongestant for me. If I am lazy with it or if I don't have it when I need it, OCM works wonders.

What I do is OCM, then DHCC then if the problem is severe (esp if it comes with spots) I put on an aspirin and yoghurt mask.

Have you tried them? The recipes are on the DIY thread.
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
go for a facial! Smile i went for a facial last weekend and now im starting with a clean slate.. maintaining exfoliation with clarisonic, jurlique ahc and phytomer vegetal exfoliant.. looks good so far
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:36 am      Reply with quote
I have to use the following for my stubborn skin (lots and lots of congestion):

-BHA (low Ph, clean) - I use Diana Yvonne's
-Clarisonic brush AM/PM (just added microdermabrasion cream to the brush head, which has been my missing link for clearing them out)
-Watch my products carefully for causing congestion; this is the new part of my scheme.

I finally discovered a 90% non-congested condition, which was huge for me. However, it will depend on the amount of congestion/location you have.

BHA is better for getting into the pore but I think you might need a bit of manual exfoliation such as a washcloth or microdermabrasion cream to move the plugs out.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:53 am      Reply with quote
Yes I have been doing OCM for awhile and I switched to Burt's Bees orange cleanser. After much analysis, I decided that it is probably the burt's bees that has caused accumulation of stuff in my pores Confused

I've switched back to gel cleansers and my skin seems happier with some residual pores that refuse to clean out! Thanks for the advice everyone! I am going to do the pumpkin enzyme mask (I believe that has exfoliation properties) and do an aspirin mask. Should that be enough? I've heard great things about the super serum, but I just don't have any place in my routine to add it Exclamation

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
What I do is steam my face and then cleanse with the Clarisonic. Works great for me.
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
poofybabypenguin wrote:
Yes I have been doing OCM for awhile and I switched to Burt's Bees orange cleanser. After much analysis, I decided that it is probably the burt's bees that has caused accumulation of stuff in my pores Confused

I've switched back to gel cleansers and my skin seems happier with some residual pores that refuse to clean out! Thanks for the advice everyone! I am going to do the pumpkin enzyme mask (I believe that has exfoliation properties) and do an aspirin mask. Should that be enough? I've heard great things about the super serum, but I just don't have any place in my routine to add it Exclamation

Hi Poofybabypenguin,
You write that the Burt's Bees orange cleanser caused accumulation of stuff in your pores, but how was OCM with your skin? I am Asian (I think I read in another thread that you are too) and have been thinking of trying OCM to get rid of gunk in my own pores. What oils were you using and in what proportion? Would you recommend OCM to me?

Thanks!

priscilla
hendricks
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
exfoliation and Aqua Glycolic cleanser work very well in getting rid of my congested pores.
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
hendricks,
how do you exfoliate? acids? manual exfoliation? enzyme peel? how often do you exfoliate? thanks!
priscilla
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi Priscilla,

Yes I am Asian, I have combination skin for your reference. I did use OCM for several months and it was quite gratifying to get little plugs out of my skin Laughing I used 50/50 grape seed oil and castor oil to start with and eventually added more grapeseed oil. Not sure the exact proportion but somewhere between 50% grapeseed oil to 75% grapeseed oil. I used the extra virgin olive oil before but I find that the grapeseed oil is finer and I just prefer it more. I loved the OCM method and it DID NOT clog up my pores. The only reason I switched to Burt's Bees is because school was starting and I had no time to up keep making my own oil blends Sad However, I did not like Burt's Bees for 2 reasons ( I will do a full review eventually :P)

1) it clogged my pores.
2) it was thick and not very viscuous so it dragged on my skin more than the OCM method and I don't like that drag, probably not good. It is not like massaging, I felt the dragging! (ok, I'm a little obessessed with that word haha)

To get back on track, I am doing an aspril mask tonight (finally a little break from midterms whew!) and I'll let everyone know how that goes! and i'll add the PSF pumpkin mask in a few days Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Poofybabypenguin,
I love your moniker!
Thanks for giving me the details on your experience with OCM. It's something that I am contemplating as an alternative to BHA/AHAs for cleaning my pores...particularly since my skin is less oily in winter.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences with aspirin and PSF pumpkin masks.
Cheers,
priscilla

35, combination skin, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation at the slightest blemish + stubborn blackheads on nose. Ignoramus about skincare--hence the litany of skincare woes. Here to learn, and grateful for help.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
The OCM method has me interested enough that I got the Dermalogica Precleanse, the Decleor, and today I ordered the Bioelements. So far I think that I like the Dermalogica because I'm a sucker for olive, and the Decleor for the smell. The price for Decleor is better than Dermalogica but now I'll give Bioelements a shot. One thing I've done is some days start with the OCM then use my Dr. Hauschka's Cleansing cream before getting rid of any residue with a foaming cleanser like Astara or the Bioelements Decongestant.
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
I had really badly congested skin from this past summer and have found that a BHA + AHA combination, along with my Clarisonic skin brush has really done the trick to clear up my skin. The obnoxious visible pores on the top of my nose and blacckheads on the sides of my nose are gone!

Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |