Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

bought something and don't like it? what to do...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:13 am      Reply with quote
OK, I am in a quandry.. I have a couple of things here I have purchased and don't like (to the point where I just don't want to use them at all).

They are all virtually full and each cost quite a bit so I dont want to just throw them out (I cannot bear to think of tossing out things of that value). I have no-one here to give them to (well, giving away over $100 worth of stuff hurts beyond words too...) and even my guniea pig hubby refuses to use them. LOL

I was going to put them up on MUA for swap, but there is nothing I want to swap for... I guess I could try Ebay, but I was thinking that what I would get for them would hardly be worth the effort.

My hate list consists of:

dermalogica soothing protection spray
Dr. Hauschka Normalizing Day Oil
Cellex-C Speed Peel

what does everyone else do?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:31 am      Reply with quote
I've been wondering this same thing and was surprised that there was not a swap-type or sell-it forum on EDS! I'm sure there are a whole bunch of people who'd like to unload some items to even try out others. Think we could make a request to the admins for this?

For example, I have:

-Full 2 oz. bottle (used 3x) of ISC Active Serum
-Full 2 oz. bottle (used 3x) of ISC Hydracool
-Travel/trial sizes of ISC Firming Complex (lots)
-Almost full bottle of PSF Browtox (I'm sending an email to Darren as I think the propylene glycol is not agreeing w/my forehead at all).
-Juice Apple Peel
-Various makeup items in new or once-used condition

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:03 am      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl..

I would love to take over your ISC stuff.. pm'ed you!
Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Hey, girl! No PM from you. Weird! I'll wait a bit for the system. Might be lagging. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:49 am      Reply with quote
I love trying new stuff but hate when I waste $$ 'cuz I end up not liking it!

I usually give the stuff I don't like to family members or just toss it. I've listed a couple things on MUA but nobody every showed any interest....
sissyp
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:38 am      Reply with quote
There is a chance you could return items where you purchased them if you are having a reaction to them. Usually cosmetic companies are great about this especially when it's an expensive item. Just a thought. Of course after having said this I haven't returned things myself. Usually I don't like something and it sits in my cabinet because I don't have the heart to throw it out. An exchange sounds like a great idea I'm sure there's a lot out there that works for some and not others.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:50 am      Reply with quote
sissyp wrote:
There is a chance you could return items where you purchased them if you are having a reaction to them. Usually cosmetic companies are great about this especially when it's an expensive item. Just a thought. Of course after having said this I haven't returned things myself. Usually I don't like something and it sits in my cabinet because I don't have the heart to throw it out. An exchange sounds like a great idea I'm sure there's a lot out there that works for some and not others.

Chuckling to myself, I wish it was that easy! Normally, the time it takes to find out a product just doesn't work pushes you past the return time. Smile There's also the spa/businesses giving you difficulties for wanting to return something, losing receipts and the like.

I'm digging the swap/sell between our members since we are all such suckers for trying out products; it's a certainty that we'll get stuck w/something we don't like that another member would love to try. One big pass the potato game!! Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
So funny..a few weeks back when someone posted a thread about improving this forum I was going to post about having a swap section.

I know myself and plenty of you girls have tons and tons of products that don't work for you and are just sitting there collecting dust. I can't seem to get myself to throw away products because of the money I've spent....so I guess I'm a skincare product rat? Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
I think the idea of a swap thing here was raised once before, but for reasons i cannot remember it did not go ahead.

Sigh. I forgot my list was even longer (I moved stuff off the shelf last night that I dont want to use).. add to that..

Burt's Orange Cleanser
and (gasp)
Cellcosmet Toner
(which reminds me I have to update my review on this)

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
tiger_tim I am looking forward to your Cellcosmet Toner update. I have mine and haven't even opened it yet. If it is that bad I may just leave it in the box and sell it!

BTW I really did not like the Dermalogica Soothing Protection Spray. Not only did it not sooth it irritated my skin like you wouldn't believe. Irritation aside, I just did not like it. I actually did throw mine in the garbage! Bad Grin
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
I'd love a swap section on here.
I have quite a few items in excellent condition that don't agree with my skin type.
I usually sell them on ebay but agree I'd rather swap to get another product to try.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
tiger_tim I am looking forward to your Cellcosmet Toner update. I have mine and haven't even opened it yet. If it is that bad I may just leave it in the box and sell it!

BTW I really did not like the Dermalogica Soothing Protection Spray. Not only did it not sooth it irritated my skin like you wouldn't believe. Irritation aside, I just did not like it. I actually did throw mine in the garbage! Bad Grin

Theresa, it is not that the tonic is bad... I dunno... um, to say I grew tired of it is not right either... but I grew tired of dealing with the stickiness and then I started to move back onto more natural stuff.. I did my Dr. Hauschka month and was back with Organic Pharmacy and now I am using those and some other silicone free creams so it does not fit in with what I am doing.

I had not used my beloved cellcosmet cleanser and activator for about 2 months either (same natural kick) but then i used those the other day and it was like "ooooh... how can I give these up..." I dont know what to do with those because I LOVE THEM, especially the activator gel, but I guess I can take comfort in the fact that they are washed off.. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:39 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim I get the impression that you are not a big toner fan, true? I am not talking about mists because I know you a fan of those. Well fanatic might be a better word! Laughing

I have about 3 toners right now and I never use them. I haven't even tried two of them! I am not that concerned about the stickiness because that goes away when I put moisturizer on but I don't like the idea of putting something on my face before my actives. I should probably just try using them sometime though.

I don't know if you caught my posts since you were gone for so long but I would not consider myself a Cellcosmet fan anymore. However, I still love the Purifying Gel so I can certainly see what you are reluctant to give that up!
elizasue
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:29 am      Reply with quote
I guess this would fall under the category of giving things away, but my Mom volunteers for quite a few organizations, and one of them collects cosmetic items and donates them to the local battered women's shelter. This is what I do with my stuff - I know it doesn't help my pocket any, but at least maybe it brightens somebody's day Very Happy
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
Theresa, well, I went to update my review and then I read it.. and I thought "hey, I was actually liking this stuff" so I tried it yesterday and lo-and-behold it was not half bad. Laughing the stickiness really did go away pretty quick after tissue patting and so I have decided that this item can get used up. rofl I have to say, it is HEAPS better than the almost full La Prairie toner I had that I gave to a coworker - the stickiness of that I just could not bear.

But you are right, I really am not into toners as such and I am a misting freak. I go through grapewater like you would not believe (my replacement for the shu uemura depsea) and even Dr. H "toner" is almost used up.. and love my Burts carrot mist toner.

Elizasue: I wish there was something like that here that i could use. At one point I took a bag of stuff to work and let my coworkers hop into it, but even then they did not take everything! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
tiger_tim I will give the toner a try one of these days. I will admit to being totally clueless when it comes to toners though.! Just curious where do you fit it into your routine? Before actives like Vitamin C or should the acitves go first and then sort of just pat the toner on so that you don't wipe any of the acitve off your skin? Confused
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
I cleanse, then activator gel and then toner. Once that is patted and given a few mins to dry I apply actives like Vit. C, super serum etc.

I have even been using it after Dr. H. CC this morning and last night. I am getting there, I am getting there...

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
The idea of a swap section was raised here before but because we have no functinality to track "feedback" after transactions, we have decided to point members to MUA since the MUA swap boards are pretty good.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
The idea of a swap section was raised here before but because we have no functinality to track "feedback" after transactions, we have decided to point members to MUA since the MUA swap boards are pretty good.

Why not a feedback forum specially to post results in a certain format? Such as, POSITIVE: User_name DATE and whatever else is relevant inside the post. That way, if you are considering a swap/sale, it would be easy to verify the user's past transactions.

I have to say that MUA is very much focused on swapping of makeup-related items and it is also very swap-oriented...meaning, people don't really want to sell anything as an option. It's rather tough to try to swap a skin care product such as the ones sold here when someone over there is looking for a NARS Laguna bronzer, for example. In contrast, I would be happy to pay for a discounted item rather than continuing to sample full-sizes.

Just a suggestion. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
I was on MUA for awhile...it was "eh" for me. I had some really great swaps with a few folks, others ticked me off because I'd send first (as a newbie it's kind of an unwritten rule you send first) and then they'd be "well, I'm not comfortable swapping my item for this, it's not what I thought." I had very detailed descriptions on everything. I just got sick of it and was like "keep it, whatever."

Then it seems that more and more folks on there want Custom Purchases for their used stuff. I did it once, this gal really wanted some BE glimmers...I ordered them from Sephora for her. I received $150 bucks worth of Fresh (Rose mask, Combination balm, etc.) to try. I got the better end of the deal, as I spent $60 on her glimmers and she barely used any of the Fresh stuff. But I'd get messages from people wanted me to buy them something to swap for something (that I wanted) used that the original price (brand new) was not much different than what they wanted me to buy them!
I ended up stopping the swap part of it. Even though I posted that I was no longer swapping I'd get bombarded with requests anyway...I didn't have time to respond. So despite my 100% positive swap tokens and feedback, I nixed that username and created a new one just so people wouldn't bother me anymore. Now I just review Smile

If we could find a way to track feedback...I think it'd be alot more fun and alot less pressure, since we all talk back and forth anyway on the boards. It's alot less personal on MUA.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
If it's a pump product rather than jar, I normally stick it on Ebay. I don't expect to make much money on it, I just feel bad about chucking stuff away but sometimes I've got really good prices on stuff as it gets competitive, e.g. on Ren stuff. I couldn't get rid of some Shu umera cleansing oil recently so I stuck it on MUA swaps and I got a few requests. But as I didn't have feedback etc I've been swapping for stuff I don't want so it's a bit pointless when you take into account going to the post office and trans atlantic postal charges and I have got stuff I want to chuck away! To be honest, I don't mind posting things I don't want to people in the UK without anything in return as postage is fairly cheap and I could use standard stamps not trek down to the post office, I'd rather do that than chuck away.

On MUA they have a list of places (charities etc) to send unwanted products to but they have to be unused and it's in the States.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
You must attempt to return the items. How would cosmetic companies know whether the customers didn't like a product. I would demand my money back (and I have). If a product didn't do what its supposed to do by all means do return it.
polylass
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:52 am      Reply with quote
Sell it on Ebay!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:58 am      Reply with quote
I generally swap on MUA but the problem is some things just aren't well known or popular on MUA.

Right now my worries are actually my Decleor balms which I find don't work that well with my skin so now I have a BNIB Essential Balm and a 10% used YY Balm. I'm more worried about my essential balm because it's a 30mL and I haven't reached for it since I bought it. My skin likes Yonka more. But these just arent that popular on MUA Sad
Mabsy

Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:29 am      Reply with quote
polylass wrote:
Sell it on Ebay!

I noticed the other day that eBay in their reporting pages (i.e. allowing people to report items that are not allowed to be sold) has a report function for used skincare. I dind't see this before but perhaps that means that if you truly stick to eBay rules then used skincare is not allowed.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |