Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
Non-comedogenicity
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
I thought some people would be interested in this article. Maybe it would help you deceide which product to buy.

http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter158.asp?AID=6003
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my gosh this is awesome! I'm looking at some of those ingredients and finally understanding why some products (like Mario Badescu...Algae extract) made me break out.

Thanks soooo much for this article! We should copy this list and put it in a sticky at the top of the forum or put it in the FAQ.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:10 am      Reply with quote
yep, that explains a lot!! Very handy list to have!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:51 am      Reply with quote
I'm glad that I got the update e-mail from Dermadoctor. I find her website gave me a lot of info about problems with your skin and what is really the deeper issue. Example, lose of hair could be due to thyroid glands, etc.
preenie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:59 am      Reply with quote
thanks for that post, it's very informative. I may have to change my body moisturiser!
Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:26 am      Reply with quote
I wonder how she arrives at her findings? Perhaps it says in the article but I skimmed it too fast and missed it!? Embarassed

I think there's another website that lists something similar. Lemme see if I can find it...
Here it is:

http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist

and then there's this one:
http://www.soapnuts.com/noncomo.html

I find myself ahing and ohing at these lists then I wonder how legit they really are. And then questions like "Have I been torturing myself for years b/c I've been using products that have been clogging my pores?" or "Have I just wasted money on a recent purchase of Dr H normalizing oil and clarifying toner?" pop into my head. Argh, I am sure you know what I mean and have been there, done that.

I just get all caught up in wondering what I should believe. Confused

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:16 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Skincare!

I found it interesting that she said that a product can contain a comedogenic ingredient and not necessarily be comedongenic. My personal experience would seem to confirm this. It is also worth noting that the ingredients that are the worst pore cloggers are not oils but synthetic oils!

I compared this with my list of comedogenic ingredients and ended up adding a few that weren't on my list already. Any ingredient with a comedogenic rating of 3 or above goes on my list.

Here is another place that has a list of comedogenic ingredients. I think it may be the same as the zerozits one but am not certain.

http://www.betterhealthyskin.com/kba_lets_talk_cosmetics.aspx

BTW my list consists of all the ingredients from the above link that are rated 3 or above on the comedogenic scale, any ingredient that Dr. Baumann (in her book The Skin Type Solution) says to avoid if you are acne prone or prone to clogged pores and now the information from the DermaDoctor website.

amnis the article clearly states that the ratings were arrived at by testing on human volunteers. You can look at the article again as it goes into more details on this.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
I had the chance to look at other people's attachment and I really liked it. Very Happy

I could not find anything on Macademia Oil. Does anyone know how that one is rated?
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Skincare for the link

I am surprised that algae extract has such a high rating..

And coconut oils too.. So I guess the more trans-fatty the oil is (saturdated fats) the more likely it is to clog pores.. I think macadamia oil is OK because I have used it on my skin before, it is heavy and sinks in slowly, but again it really comes down to the quality of the oil itself - cold pressed etc..
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
I was amazed when I read some of these lists. Where I have products and/or packaging that lists the full list of ingredients, I am going to go through them and see how many ingredients may be pore clogging. Then I will post what the product is and how it rates on the pore clogging scale.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:05 am      Reply with quote
"Non-comedogenic" and similar terms are not recognized by the FDA.

In truth, *any* cosmetic applied to the skin has the potential to clog pores -- some being worse offenders than others.

While "non-comedogenic" certainly sounds reassuring, I'm sure we all have experienced trying a makeup that claimed to be "non-acnegenic" only to discover that it made our faces breakout.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
And coconut oils too.. So I guess the more trans-fatty the oil is (saturdated fats) the more likely it is to clog pores.. I think macadamia oil is OK because I have used it on my skin before, it is heavy and sinks in slowly, but again it really comes down to the quality of the oil itself - cold pressed etc..

miranets I wonder if the coconut oil is comedogenic due to the types of fatty acids that it is composed of. Coconut oil is about 50% Lauric acid which gets a 4 on the comedogenic scale.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Theresa, I agree, despite being labelled 'oils' and having a greasy emolient texture, some oils are highly astringent.. like castor and hazelnut, depending on what acids they contain.

Also, I was reading the link you gave, and it was interesting to this..

Quote:
Before we discuss cosmetic ingredients, we should consider the skin's own surface oil, sebum. Assuming that sebum is beneficial to the skin, cosmetic chemists duplicated this substance. Unfortunately, we know of no benefits to be derived from sebum. This oil is simply a vestige whose function has been lost in the process of evolution.

I wonder how you feel about this? I have always thought that sebum was necessary to help keep skin moisturised, but then again it is young children who have the nicest skin.. and only when sebum production starts that we have all sorts of skin problems.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
miranets I did read what Dr. Fulton had to say about sebum and while I found it very interesting I don't quite know what to make of it either. Confused

One though that crossed my mind when I read that was what about Accutane? Doesn't that pretty much shut off the oil glands so that they don't produce sebum? I always though that this was the reason that those on Accutane had such dry skin. But I could be wrong. Maybe there are other reasons why Accutane causes dry skin.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think I can agree with the fact that sebum is absolutely not necessary. It at least can form a somewhat protective layer to keep skin hydrated, though it is an easily disrupted process which can cause severe skin problems. Because it is a substance the skin learns to tolerate as we grow older, a multitude of factors can disrupt the ideal sebum levels (hormones, skincare, diet, weather etc) it is simply so sensitive that we would like to lay blame for the lack or over production of sebum to be the cause of problems.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |