Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How much $ have you "wasted"?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:06 am      Reply with quote
Time to fess up.

I am really on a kick at the moment about wasting products, not using stuff, and buying recklessly and am forcing myself to look at my mistakes.

This is my "wastage" list for the last 2 years (well, 2.5 years - since starting EDS):

Dr. H. balancing oil - paid about $30 I guess used less than 10% of the bottle - another $27
Cellex-C speed peel - paid $35-odd - used 3 times - a good $30 or so gone
dermalogica soothing spray $50 down the drain (oh god this stuff is HORRIBLE)
Cellcosmet tonic - paid about $90 - used maybe 10% - so $80 wasted (ugh)
Burt's Bees Orange Cleanser $15 wasted (if I factor in what I paid for shipping)
ADCE+Prep+Okusil. I paid about $200 and used half, at best. $100 wasted
MDFormulations sensitive kit - used the eye cream & sunscreen a bit, but tossed the rest. Full $50 wasted.
Babor Sensitive Mask $30, used 1/3 - $20 wasted
Ascention Mask sayonara $50
2 bottles of unused hydroxy toner ... ta ta $30
Osea Travel kit - cost about $40 hardly used the hydrating oil before tossing it - another $10 or so gone
Avalon lavender mask - paid $12 (this IS Japan) - barely used half - $6 gone
Suisse Program gommage - $45 - probably used 1/3 - bye bye $30
Sothys redness serum - 1/2 used only - ta ta to $30

OMG - that is about $530!! and it does not include products that I just used up for the sake of using up hating every minute of it... or tossed out when they got pretty close to the end just to get them out of the cupboard.

We all do it. My mother does it - always has. As you all know I even have a reputation for palming off unwanted products to DH to use up - I shudder to think how much money I would have wasted had he not used them - that fact alone makes him a keeper! Laughing I also know that there are a lot of people here who would be much worse off than me in terms of what they wasted and in the scheme of things $260 a year might not be that big a deal - and it is not just since joining here that I have "wasted" skincare (thinking back to wasted Aesop, La Prairie and various half-used creams and masks going right back to teenage years Laughing) - but I am hoping that by forcing myself to see what I waste I will stop doing it. I mean, I could have the Baby Q for what I wasted!! Laughing

Isn't the first step towards recovery admitting that I have a problem? Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:37 am      Reply with quote
Tiger

I also have unopened bottles of creams, lotions and masks lying around. I also have heaps of samples that I never use.

Don't feel so bad.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:59 am      Reply with quote
Tiger, it won't give your money back but we're all the same (well, most of us). i don't even want to count, how much i wasted...
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:18 am      Reply with quote
Laughing I knew I was not alone in this boat... I had a horrible flash back before and remembered another $70 wasted on Italian AquaFruits line - but that was bought as a result of a totally depressing and stressful work day (always the best time to impulse shop, no?) Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:32 am      Reply with quote
DENIAL is a river in Egypt!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:00 am      Reply with quote
There's no way I'd ever dare to add up the amount I've wasted over the years. I think I'd probably end up fainting. Embarassed
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
Tiger_tim, you are awesome for even admitting this! I will NOT throw away a product -- even though sometimes I need to! Laughing I will usually use it on my body if all else fails. Like you, I use up products hating every minute of it!

Right now, I've switched over to all Dr. H products (I owe you an email. You were incredible for sending me that link to your review!!) and I will not even consider trying new stuff until I start to use those up. It forces me to give the line the few months they want you to do before you ditch them. Trouble is, I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for better/newer stuff! Rolling Eyes

That's why I hang out here so much. I feel like I can finally be around people who understand my obsession with skincare!
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
Ellyp, see that is the problem for me at the moment, I am moving toward eliminating certain things from my regime and haev settled on smoe things but have some more that I am introducing, BUT, there is not much point if I am still using other products that dont fall into this.

I tried the Cellcosmet tonic last night again and decided I can use that up - it is not so much I dont like it - well, not crazy on it - but I kinda liked it again last night - it just has things in it I dont want to use. Laughing

but I need to use up my Super Serum, the Cellcosmet tonic, Occitane Essential Oil (OK, well that does fit in with the program, but hell, I just want it used up - I hate it when products cannot be finished up within 6 months of use), DNA Repair (this will also be hard, but at the beginning I think it has to go).

Glad you are enjoying your Dr. H. Did you get the balancing oil? Do you like it? I could not get "into" it (but I guess in fairness it was summer) and hubby hated the "oily feeling" (probably used too much).. I dunno I just could not get used to an oil during the day time.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
I wasn't so crazy about the normalizing oil. I had bought a bottle of it last April and just finished it a few weeks ago. I am not going to repurchase it.

I have been going to all the places that sell Decleor (2 Sephoras and 2 Nordstroms) and done my "oh help me" routine. I have been able to secure enough samples of the various oils and balms to try that I probably have about 2 months worth of product! (It's amazing how generous some sales people can be if you talk their ears off and play the damsel in distress -- very nicely and politely of course!) Once I figure out which oil is perfect for me I will then turn around and buy it from EDS. (And hide from those same salespeople next time I enter those stores! Laughing )

Once I go through all this Dr. H stuff I will do what you did and write a huge review of what I've tried. Your review has been my lifesaver because if I hadn't read it when I started the conditioner, I would have been sooooooo depressed. As it is, I'm only a little depressed... Rolling Eyes I sure hope this purging will stop soon for me. It's been a month now and I do see some helpful progress so I will use up the 50 vials I bought and then reevaluate. I sure do love the Decleor oils and balms though!!
moosette
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
I couldn't even begin to tell you how many products I have thrown...or given away, but its got to be in the thousands of dollars over the years Shock My skin is sensitive to everything so I get suckered everytime into buying that miracle product that claims its for sensitive skin.
My sister loves it though, since she gets to use highend products for free! I'm a product junkie and everytime I see something new when I go shopping I "must" have it or I'll go crazy if I walk out of the store without it! Thats the reason I love Shoppers Drug Mart here in Canada...if it doesn't work out for me I can return it...even if I used it awhile. Love that!! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
Wasted:

celularskin Rx vit C serum - half bottle
vivier eye vit C serum - half bottle
Clarins one step cleanser - half bottle
Lancome facial mask renergie - whole bottle
Lancome Impurity mask - whole bottle
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
I can totally relate to this. Even over this past year I've probably wasted hundreds of dollars on products that I moved on from. Some of them I am trying to use on other areas (neck, arms, hands, etc.) just so I don't "totally" waste them. I'm hoping now I've finally found a routine I'm fairly happy with so I won't be testing so many new things. Smile
Mabsy

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
I have wasted a rather significant amount of cash although I do have a sneaky work-around that stops me from feeling guilty - whatever I don't end up using, I give to my mum. Hence, it's not wasted and if she doesn't use it then she's wasting it, not me Embarassed Laughing Generally, my mum is more than happy to take whatever I don't use and has no need to buy anything other than her Alphaderma stuff.

I was at a stage though where I had so many products that even the ones I thought were pretty good (but not great) were simply just not being used but at the same time I dind't want to give them away either ("oh, I might use this eventually...."). The interesting thing that I have noticed over the last few months is that work being so hectic, combined with a steep learning curve of the house building process, has really changed this for me. I've been too busy to follow all new product releases, to read all new raves, to buy much else. I've been on "auto-pilot" in the morning and as a result have used up LOTS of things that I never though I'd finish.

Naturally, as work slowly returns to normality and I start following all the raves again, bathroom space will again be at a premium. But, this is something that I am really looking forward to (particularly if I take the POV that whatever I don't like becomes a gift for my mum Smile).
hopemelody
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:43 pm      Reply with quote
I just don't have the heart to add it up. Exclamation Shock
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:02 am      Reply with quote
I went through this stage of psychosis where I wanted to recreate every product I used.. so at the moment I have about $1500 worth of ingredients sitting under my bed and stashed away in every cranny of my room (and some are *temporarily* in my bf's house) so I have all this HA, millions of plant extracts, clays, cosmetic additives OMG I want to kick myself.. and I try to justify it by telling myself that this is all I will be needing in the next 5 years. Neutral I have not even had time to make even one creation yet.. Candy you have to help me!!

And now that I started using Zenbiotic, I have boxes full of my old products which I don't even touch..

When I was younger I would buy skincare in sets, like Cleanse, Tone, Moisturise.. and I managed to at least sell most of the barely used stuff at a huge loss.. instead of pouring it down the drain.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:38 am      Reply with quote
I spent over 500 bucks on Chanel over the course of 3 months awhile back. Stuff kept not working (many of their cleansers and skincare are terrible!) and I kept going back and the chick would "tweak" my routine. Tried two foundations and a compact to boot...ugh. Never once did she ever say I could return any of it if I didn't like it. Only upon going to another Chanel counter in another mall here in Tucson (I said I was there just for makeup and explained my experience with their skincare line) did I hear "oh honey, yes you should have returned all those things to get your money back! You can DO that!" Of course it was too late at that point. I was fuming. Never went back to that Chanel counter at the other mall. In fact, I've kinda sworn off Chanel all together. The only thing I still use is the Blanc Universal primer and my black eyeshadow that can be used wet or dry.

On top of all this I've purchased a ton of cleansers (I settled on one in August that is actually almost gone...and just bought another cleanser, but I was good because I'll use up the first cleanser. This is the first time in a long time I didn't keep buying cleansers every few weeks).

Cleansers not used (that I still have for some reason):
Nivea: $6
Two Mario Badescu: $32
Fresh balm with lemon oil: $34
Fresh memoirs of a geisha rice powder wash (bought 2 of them...oy vey): $70
L'Occitane cleansing milk: $20
=OY VEY! $162

Toners not used:
L'Occitane cleansing water: $20 (I may pull this out of my cabinent in the winter, once my PSF toner is gone)
Two Mario Badescu toners: $30
= $50

I wasted $25 on that Oil of Olay microdermabrasion kit...used it a few times and didn't like it. Maybe I'll use it on other parts of my body like my elbows or something...just to use it up. Still sitting on my counter.

I've spent over $100 trying to find something that will tame my long hair...that is the majority of half used products on my bathroom counter...ranging from John Frieda to Ojon. I end up putting my hair up in a ponytail anyway because nothing will work but a haircut!

I also spend money on body lotions...but honestly the only thing I use anymore is Candessence and my occasional self-tanning moisturizer from Vaseline. I just went to glance at all of them and, including a body shop body butter ($16) and another body butter that was $22...my lotions at up to around $75.

So 500 (which I did not have to spend...I'm a bloody grad student!)
+162
+50
+25
+100
+75
= $912 (the Chanel was spent almost two years ago) in two years. I know it's higher than this because before school started I threw out a ton of stuff that sat on my counter and my husband got sick of it.

The funny thing is...since coming to EDS in July, I've not gone out and experimented at all really. I bought:
In July:
Decleor Essential and Ylang ylang balm (still use religiously every day, but not both at once, Laughing), Decleor ylang ylang oil (everyday)
Decleor mattifying fluid (everyday)
PSF toner (everyday)
In August:
Yonka Gel Nettoyant (the first cleanser that I've used the entire bottle...haven't done that in three years, seriously!)...phasing this out for Haba powder wash so I can get more exfoliation.
Recently:
Sofina Nuance up (love it and use it everyday)

So while I got kind of panicky and was considering leaving the forum for awhile because of the money I was spending by reading reviews, when I think about it, it has stopped me from going to Ulta or Sephora and buying more products randomly. I hadn't "re-purchased" a cleanser since July until last week. Since Delceor has been working, I haven't had to buy random products in an attempt to rid myself of oilies, like oil control lotions, different foundations, balms, and even my compact has become obsolete because I don't need to blot during the day anymore.

And now that I use Everday Minerals, again suggested on the forum, I save money over Bare Minerals and it works so much better (again helps with oil control).

The only thing I've been playing with is acne control because I use four different products from Mario Badescu (all total together about 75 bucks)...but am considering Juice Beauty serum as a means of simplifying it (but am waiting until my MBs are out...never would have done that before!).

So it's almost like I went through an "expensive start-up phase" but in the long run, will save me money. I mean, while the Decleor products will run me 180 the next time I buy them...it will be a LONG time...probably over a year before I need to repurchase (well, the mattifying fluid will need to be purchased more often, but you know...).

Wow...sorry...that was a long post Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
Unfortunately i also wasted a lot of skin care and on top of that most of them are expensive product. I had IS clinical, cellcosmet,valmont, cellex c, some sunblock that i did not like, lipstick, and a few more. Thats why as much as i can, i try and buy skin care on a place where they allow you to return at a certain time. Because i dont have a lot of money to throw away. I only make almost minimum wage...
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:

Wow...sorry...that was a long post Embarassed

Yes, but don't you feel "cleansed" (sorry for the pun) after all that confessing?! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:32 am      Reply with quote
I don't even want to THINK about this subject ... but it's nice that I'm not alone.

My big problem is not finishing bottles. It seems like once a year I go on this rampage to hoard skin care products. Then, I get bored and never use up anything when the next big lemming product comes along.

I'm also a big hair product fanatic. I have so many half used items.

The only good thing is that I buy and hate something - I'll return it.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:00 am      Reply with quote
Here is what I have wasted in the past two years along with a guess as to the dollar amount of the wasted portion.

-Komenjka Bijin Face Wash Foam (too drying, irritating)$40
-Doux Me Neroli Water Spray (yucky smell)$30
-Jurlique Calendula Cream Large (went bad before I could use it all) about $30
-Kose Sekkisei Powder Wash (irritating) about $15
-Kose Sekkisei Lotion (too much alcohol, irritating) about $30
-Kose Sekkisei Emulsion (irritating) about $24
-La Roche Posay Toleraine Foaming Cleanser (WAY too drying) about $15
-Kanebo Creamy Soap (irritating) about $30
-Pevonia Evolutive Eye Cream (runs into eyes) about $30
-Clarins UV Plus (irritating) about $40
-Clarins Cleansing Water (irritating) about $30
-Yonka Cream Cleanser (pore clogging) $27
-Cellcosmet Sensitive Day Cream (irritating, don't like) $100
-Cellcosmet Cream Cleanser (irritating) $65
-Dermalogica Soothing Protection Spray (irritating) $30

That's over $500 and I am sure that I forgot something.

If I add in the Cellcosmet Eye Cream which I will be giving away after DH finishes his half-face test and add in the IS Clinical 15% C serum which I don't think is going to work for me the total goes well over $650. Shock Shock Shock Shock
carmenlu
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:40 am      Reply with quote
I just keep telling myself this is a trial and error process. I did find a couple of good products after all (out of 100 things Laughing )

I will never buy again:
Over-the-counter skincares: although they are cheap, but never find a good product so far.
SK II: garbage
Dr H: I adore organic product, but it is just too gentle for my oily acneprone skin.
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
No way could I list everything!! Shock I have wasted so much money on skincare, cosmetics and clothes (not to mention all the shoes I own!). I definitely know I have wasted ALOT of money. Some things I don't even know why I bought them.
chloes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:03 am      Reply with quote
I'm good at wasing money on new products....lol. Even bought a bottle of La Mer serum, 50ml for $240 and it didn't work. Sold it off at a great discount on Yahoo. Think I have spent a couple of thousand bucks over the last 5 years....most of the creams went into the trash as it is terribly hard to get good products...that's why I'm going for natural products. If it doesn't work at least it doesn't ruin your skin with all the harsh chemicals. Or my friends or family get free products! Actually they are forced to use the products as they don't believe in wastage....lol... and I feel charitable (just kidding).

Samples are great.... it is hard for me to use anything till the last drop so thank god for people who sell samples.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:53 am      Reply with quote
Thank god I don't have enough money to buy things at random, otherwise I would making my confession here Laughing . I just have a Nivea Facial Scrub and an St Ives Apricot Scrub that is sitting around my cupboard. I keep on meaning to throw it out, but I just can't.

My vice might be makeup. I had to throw away some mascara, some nail polishes etc because they all turned disgusting.

May I ask why a swap thing has never been established on EDS? Is it because people do it on makeupalley?
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:02 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Tiger_tim for giving us confessional. I can't list all the wastage as a lot was used on my legs, neck and body and mainly C serums thrown in the bin after going off.
I am now so happy with the results I achieve with Cellcosmet cleansers and scrubs, Valmont and Remergent that I am no longer so tempted by raves. If I had unlimited funds then I would only use L Elixir, but it can only be a twice yearly (unless the price drops) with other Valmont and Remergent mixed in the rest of the time.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |