Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

is my SS doing anything?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
preenie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:50 am      Reply with quote
I've just been reading the FAQ post, and I'm still really confused about my SS?
I've just started using JB moisturiser spf 30 for normal skin, is it actually protecting me, and if so, what against? am I getting uva and uvb protection? It just says "full spectrum".
I'd like to also add that I live in England and it's winter, so I probably don't need something as protective as maybe somebody living in LA.. well I would hope!
Also all these makeups with spf 15 and moisturisers with spf 15, do they actaully do anything or are they a waste of time? I don't see how they do. It's annoying, because they are marketed as though they are enough protection Neutral
Thanks

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:28 am      Reply with quote
What are the ingredients for the JB sunscreen? If it says full spectrum it should have both UVA and UVB protection, but the ingredient list is important to see how well it actually protects.

The SPF from makeup and moisturizers are much less effective because we (most of us anyway) don't actually put on enough makeup to get the right SPF.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:04 am      Reply with quote
The active ingredient in this s/s is titanium dioxide, so it gives you good UVB protection, but not adequate UVA protection.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:07 am      Reply with quote
I thought titanimu dioxide did block longer UVA rays.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Titanium dioxide is considered to be a broad spectrum sunscreen ingredient. While titanium dioxide does block longer UVA rays, it does not do as good a job of blocking them as zinc oxide does. This is why I personally prefer either a zinc oxide only sunscreen or one that has a combination of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. But if you really feel that you are not exposing yourself to much sun and you like this sunscreen and will use it regularly then it may work for you.

From what I have seen the sunscreens in most makeups are not adequate.
Kimberleylee
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Just an FYI - I was also told that most SPF in moisturisers is pointless and doesn't work and we should use moisturiser AND SPF cream on the face!??

Any professional thoughts on this?
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
Just my opinion but I think that it depends on the moisturizer. If it has good, effective sunscreen ingredients in a high enough amount and you apply the moisturizer liberally then I think it is perfectly fine. The only exception might be if you will be in the water or sweating alot, in which case you would want to use a water-proof sunscreen.
HTH
preenie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:04 am      Reply with quote
Kimberleylee wrote:
Just an FYI - I was also told that most SPF in moisturisers is pointless and doesn't work and we should use moisturiser AND SPF cream on the face!??

Any professional thoughts on this?

not even a factor 30 moisturiser?! I thought they would be fine, especially if your not in a particularly sunny climate. I'm not convinced about combo makeup though, I think that's probably pretty pointless. Oh it's all very confusing.

So the "Active" ingredient is the one that's doing the protecting, the "work" you could say? I think I'm slowly learning!

Thanks for the info. I'm going to carry on using the JB for now, but maybe when it'a starts getting warmer, look for something with stronger UVA protection.

This site is brilliant, gush, gush! it really is! Before EDS I used to slather any old C**p on my face, thinking it was, protecting, nourishing etc etc, and it was probably having no effect watsoever. But hey, thanks to you lot, I'm so much better informed!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |