Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Wearing red lippie for my wedding!!! See pic. :)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, you heard right! I've been playing around w/the makeup that I want to wear for the wedding. I think I'm going to switch out the crease color for a more matte but it will be the same application style on the eyes.

I've been testing out the Maybelline Superstay lipsticks and I have to say, they deliver. Do not dry at all and look great - lots of color choices at $10. Anyway, I was going to go all neutral but it just wasn't right so I tried a red one and POW!!! I love it! It'll be a bit retro, I think with my vintage items and what the hell, it's me as far as taste so it suits.

Here's a pic:

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Go for it scalawaggirl! Smile

I wore red lipstick on my wedding day and don't regret it at all. I think that it will go well with your dress!
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
That Maybelline Superstay can't be beat, as far as comfort and staying on.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
It looks beautiful! And you look gorgeous! The eye shadow is so pretty, your lashes are incredible, and your lips are, too! They look plumper now than they have in past photos ... the HA must be working for you!

PLEASE post wedding pics ... I know we all want to see the gorgeous couple! Very Happy
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
One word: KNOCKOUT! It suits you, scalawaggirl. My fav is the eyeshadow. What is it?[/code]
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
Yay! Glad you don't think it's too nutty to wear red!!! I kept fiddling around and am glad I decided to try it. Smile Ivory, while a good color choice for a "wedding" dress, is not my most flattering but it is warm so that's good. Pure white would've made me look like the Corpse Bride. Shock I think that this lipstick will liven up the whole look all around. I will have to explain the staying power to my fiancé because I can imagine he will otherwise run screaming for the hills. Laughing

Mermaid, it's true that the HA may be helping. I've been taking it awhile now and have no dry areas anywhere - joints all doing well though I never had a problem other than the occasional crack - so it's possible that it's now helping more w/the lips. I have also started to put CPs on them - once when I put the CP serum on and then after I put some Night Eyes Premier. It seems to be helping fill them out nicely. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
One word: KNOCKOUT! It suits you, scalawaggirl. My fav is the eyeshadow. What is it?[/code]

Why thanks!!! Now that you mentioned it, I may have to keep this for my plan rather than going matte. Here's the breakdown:

-MAC Ricepaper on lid and highlight under brow
-MAC Symmetry on lid over Ricepaper
-MAC Hoodwinked in crease and orbital bone
-MAC Espresso in crease to give depth and also worked into lash line on both upper/lower
-Max Factor Lash Perfection in black (one coat) on upper lashes; brown black on lower lashes
-NARS blush in Orgasm
-MAC Mellow Mood Sheer Shimmer Powder for face highlight
-MAC Symmetry for face contour
-Maybelline Staycolor 725 Flame

As you can see, I am a MAC color junkie. Love their shadows and pigments. I am awaiting Goldenair but not sure it will arrive in time. The NARS Orgasm is fantastic, as well. Absolutely gives a natural flush w/just the right shimmer. So pretty and fun playing with makeup!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
WOW I love the look! I never thought red lipstick would look good for weddings but you make it look amazing!! Your whole is all glowy! Congrats once again and POST WEDDING PICTURES!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
Love the look, Scalawaggirl! The eyeshadow really brings out your gorgeous eyes, and I think the red lipstick is perfect!
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
I guess I'm the odd one out. I'm not sure about that red scalywaggirl. I would do a neutral shade or peach lips.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
I guess I'm the odd one out. I'm not sure about that red scalywaggirl. I would do a neutral shade or peach lips.

I understand your view and originally thought the same; however, after testing out the looks, the red just said, "POW", rather than blah like:

Peach coral lipstick:

Neutral lipstick:

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
I agree scalawaggirl. The peach coral looks beautiful on you but it's more of an everyday look. The red really makes it a more "special occasion" look. The neutral, imo I don't really like it because I think it's too pale and sort of makes you look a bit sickly. Comparatively the red/coral both make you look much more lively and would probably match your personality a lot more too!

I really think the red looks good but imho on first look it seems to have some orange tones in it (probably because it's such a bright red). I'm not sure what kind of look you really want but perhaps you might want to try a SLIGHTY darker red (just a hint darker though), for a more sophisticated special occasion look. I had in mind something instead of a more orange hue (like the one you have on), try a bright red with a more plum hue (then it'll be a hint darker). But that's just a suggestion, red generally looks good on you and would definitely look lovely with your dress.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
I agree scalawaggirl. The peach coral looks beautiful on you but it's more of an everyday look. The red really makes it a more "special occasion" look. The neutral, imo I don't really like it because I think it's too pale and sort of makes you look a bit sickly. Comparatively the red/coral both make you look much more lively and would probably match your personality a lot more too!

I really think the red looks good but imho on first look it seems to have some orange tones in it (probably because it's such a bright red). I'm not sure what kind of look you really want but perhaps you might want to try a SLIGHTY darker red (just a hint darker though), for a more sophisticated special occasion look. I had in mind something instead of a more orange hue (like the one you have on), try a bright red with a more plum hue (then it'll be a hint darker). But that's just a suggestion, red generally looks good on you and would definitely look lovely with your dress.

Thanks for the suggestions! I found the same thing w/the coral - pretty but an everyday look - and the neutral is, as you said, a bit yuck-a-doo. Unfortunately, any reds with hints of cool (i.e. plums) make me look sickly, as well. Because I have such warm undertones, I have to stick with more tomato versions. If it were a normal lipstick, I might play with adding a touch of dark as you pointed out but I'm a bit stuck since it's a long-wearing lipstick. I opted for this route to get through all the pictures, champagne and especially the kisses. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
What brand is the peach coral lipstick? We have similar skintones and I always find some neutral shades are too close to my skin colour and make me look very dull.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
Now that you have peach and nude pixs up here, I see it clearly now Scalyw. You're right, the red is much better! Good luck with the wedding!
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
What brand is the peach coral lipstick? We have similar skintones and I always find some neutral shades are too close to my skin colour and make me look very dull.

The peach coral is "Coral" in the Maybelline Superstay. I have to be careful w/nudes for the same reason as you - must use a decent liner and blend the holy bejeezus out of them. Smile I didn't take too much care w/the neutral lipstick because I was comparing against the eye shadow colors.

Quote:
Now that you have peach and nude pixs up here, I see it clearly now Scalyw. You're right, the red is much better! Good luck with the wedding!

Thanks, SuzieQ!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Scallawag that red you're wearing is just perfect Very Happy I really believe when getting pics taken, makeup should be more exaggerated than you would normally wear. If you were to wear either of the other two colours, I think the wedding pics would look too washed out.
mithai
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:

I agree with everything sormuimui said about that red...I too think its a tad bit too orange. how about red with a bit of brown? take a look at Clarins illusion Lipstick in 20....Thats my HG red and I wear it soooo much(yeah, I wear red without any special occasion too..... Rolling Eyes )...I think it will look great with all warm-neutral toned ones....I am more neutral(I just figured out!)
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
Definitely the red. It's awesome and you DO want to make a statement. It's your wedding afterall!
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
I always vote for Red! I used to wear red lipstick and no other makeup, period. People would assume I had put on more makeup than I had. I love red. It perks one up. The other colours you showed are nice everyday colours, but a wedding is not everyday. Razz
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Still voting for red. The peach coral is lovely too but as others said, lacking that extra oommpphhh! XOXOXO
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
sormuimui wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions! I found the same thing w/the coral - pretty but an everyday look - and the neutral is, as you said, a bit yuck-a-doo. Unfortunately, any reds with hints of cool (i.e. plums) make me look sickly, as well. Because I have such warm undertones, I have to stick with more tomato versions. If it were a normal lipstick, I might play with adding a touch of dark as you pointed out but I'm a bit stuck since it's a long-wearing lipstick. I opted for this route to get through all the pictures, champagne and especially the kisses. Laughing

Ic, what about with slight hints of brown, or a darker orange hue. What about using a sheer gloss (one that's not to shiny) to darken the colour of the lipstick you already have on. It would give a good sheen to it and definitely enhance the long-wearingness of it. Btw, do you have lipliner on? I can't tell, but I think you should line your lips, and if you do look at glosses, you can blend the lipliner w/the lipstick using the gloss and that usually creates a very natural look of your lip contours.
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
The red definitely gives it that ooomph! Love your eye makeup, too...gorgeous!
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hello ladies! Interesting suggestions and normally, I would very much play with glosses to tweak the color. The problem, though, is the whole long-wearing thing. I do not want anything coming off on my fiancé and my experience with glosses is that they are the worst offenders (I love them, anyway, and have a bunch just for the tweak factor).

Is the Clarins Illusion in 20 a long-wear type? I'm not sure I'll have time to make it to the mall, though, as I'm traveling for work before I leave AND getting my hair done Tuesday afternoon - need a touch up, crikey!

I am not wearing a liner but "lined" my lips w/the Superstay lip color and then filled in. Once dried, I applied the clear "gloss".

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
The red not only looks good but will look great in pictures. There is something about a bride in striking lipstick that I just love..I wore MAC glam and don't regret it....you will look great, confident people can pull off a good red that suits them...the rest of your makeup looks great also! How exciting!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |