Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Eye Cream with Retinol?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:40 am      Reply with quote
The other night I was reading through last month's issue of Allure and they were talking about eye creams. They said for dark circles like mine (thin skin which shows the blue underneath) that an eye cream with retinol to help build up the collagen is the way to go. I think that's maybe why all the other "dark circle" treatments I've tried haven't really worked because it's not a pigmentation problem and I don't think it's a problem of the blood leaking out of the veins (I'm not sure that's how it's scientifically explained, but you know Smile ).

So now I'm on the search for a good eye cream with retinol. Currently I'm using Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm for Eye/Lip which does have Vitamin A, but I'm thinking I should find something with higher percentages (not even sure what the percentage would be in there). I don't have any wrinkles ... just some very fine lines and of course, those darn dark circles.

I was going to use the PSF 1% retinol under my eyes (it was too rich for my face) but I'm worried that might be too much.

Any suggestions? I did a search and saw the ROC Retinol eye cream mentioned before, but I'd prefer to buy something through EDS Very Happy than drugstore, although if it's good and it works, I am open to any option. Very Happy

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
I'm using Avene Ystheal+ eye gel and so far I really like it.

The Ystheal and Diacnel products are the rage on MUA.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
I'd recommend Ystheal too, although I'd go for the gel or cream for the face because the eye cream has too low a percentage to have much of an effect.

Ystheal uses retinaldehyde as its retinoid which is much less irritating than retinol and proven to be almost as effective as Retin A in tests.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
I have heard a lot that Cle de Peau eye cream is really good. It has retinal in it.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
I have used the La Prairie Age Management product.. it contains retinoids, so they recommend to use sunscreen during the day - one of the reaons why I stopped using the product. I don't have fine lines to treat, but also have problems with thin undereye skin and big black circles if I don't rest well.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I got all excited when I read your response Rjez, that I stopped at the drug store and found that Ystheal+ Eye Contour Care on my way home. I read your response Molly ... I wish I'd seen that before I bought the eye cream, but maybe I'll give that a try first and if it's not effective for me I'll try the face cream or gel or one of the other suggestions. That's me ... super impulsive and need to get something NOW. Smile I'll let you all know if I have success with the Ystheal+. Thanks again! Very Happy
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
On a positive note, it's probably best to start off with the gentlest dose on your eye area even though Retinaldehyde is less irritating. So, you shopped well Very Happy Besides it's cheap so who cares.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
I keep forgetting that some lucky people can actually buy Ystheal+ in the U.S.

I'm one of those who has to spend an ungodly amount from Spain.

I have also used the Ystheal+ cream on my eyes - but the texture of the eye gel is lighter and I want to work up to the strength of the regular Ystheal+ cream.
Goofygal
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
Molly/Moonstarr,

Where can I find Avene Ystheal+ products in USA? I'm in Northen California. TIA!

30s; Fair to Medium with yellow undertones; Combination skin - occasional breakouts, vertical brow lines, age spots, acne marks, few broken caps, tiny bumps (chicken skin); Eyes: puffy, dark circles and fine lines..... yeah, lots to fix Smile WIP
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:48 am      Reply with quote
I have not used this product myself as I don't have dark circles but Jan Marini has a retinol eye product for dark circles. EDS has it listed.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:27 am      Reply with quote
Goofygal - I'm in northern California too. I don't think you can find it here. You can check aveneusa.com for stores. I think it's now being carried in some drugstores in Southern California? I know that many CVS stores on the east coast have it.

I ordered from Tubotica.com in Spain. MUA'ers get a discount and they give a lot of samples. Shipping is fast and customer service is extraordinary but the website is a pain.

And for dark eye circles - check our Carekate's recipe. I'm going to try that ... so easy!
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:34 am      Reply with quote
Goofygal wrote:
Molly/Moonstarr,

Where can I find Avene Ystheal+ products in USA? I'm in Northen California. TIA!

In the US the Avene retinaldehyde products are branded as Retrinal and while the acitve ingredient is the same the other ingredients in the formula are different. We don't have the gel we just have creams. If you want to give the US versions a try then you can get them online at DermStore. A consultation is required but it is no big deal. I did it myself when I was considering using the Retrinal and it was very easy. Here's a link to DermStore for those interested. http://www.dermstore.com/profile.php?attributes=500107
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:29 am      Reply with quote
I use the Avene Ystheal+ Emulsion Lotion ( with Retinaldehyde C.T. and Pre-tocopheryl) under my eyes and have no problem.

You can purchase it at CVS Pharmacy in the U.S.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:35 am      Reply with quote
Goofygal wrote:
Molly/Moonstarr,

I'm from Canada and found mine at London Drugs.
Goofygal
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks all!

I'll give CVS, Dermstore & Tubotica.com a shot! Thanks.

30s; Fair to Medium with yellow undertones; Combination skin - occasional breakouts, vertical brow lines, age spots, acne marks, few broken caps, tiny bumps (chicken skin); Eyes: puffy, dark circles and fine lines..... yeah, lots to fix Smile WIP
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Definitely try CVS - that will be the least expensive.

Dermstore will be Retrinal with differing strengths.

Tubotica has great pricing for those items I can't find around here but shipping to U.S. is pricey.

to read all about retinaldehyde and Avene products, read the notepads from Beethovengirl and Tetrakis on MUA.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi Moonstarr - I use Avene Contour des Yeux and really like it. Especially in winter, I've found that stronger retinoids make my eye area look too dry. But I just got some Retrinal in .05 and .1 strengths because it's easier to come by here in the States, and I don't know if these are stronger than the Ystheal products I've been using (the Ystheal bottles of Contour des Yeux and Emulsion for face don't mention their percentage of retinaldehyde). I suspect that they are. Plus, the Retrinal doesn't contain pre-tocopheryl which is a touted anti-oxidant ingredient in Ystheal products. I may have made a mistake!

In any case, I certainly believe a mild retinoid can improve the eye area, so I hope you'll be pleased.
GlebeVitamin

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Avene Ystheal eye cream is the best one. I also use the Avene Ystheal cream for the face. Avene also makes a wonderful Moisture Mask.

Good luck with your search!
Renee
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
the Ystheal products I've been using (the Ystheal bottles of Contour des Yeux and Emulsion for face don't mention their percentage of retinaldehyde). I suspect that they are.

Hi April:

I believe the percentage of both the Retinaldehyde C.T. and Pre-tocopheryl are written on the front of the Emulsion container, it is in very very small print. I am at the office right now, so I don't have the Ystheal Emulsion container to look at.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Should I go for the emulsion or the cream for around the eyes?
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, I have the Avene Ystheal+ Emulsion container in front of me, and a magnifying glass, it says: Retinaldehyde C.T. 0.05% and Pre-tocopheryl 0.05%
Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I copied from BeethovenGirl:
Ystheal Creme (30 ml) is a 0.05% retinaldehyde cream intended for dry skin.
Ingredients: Aqua, caprylic/capric triglyceride, Avene aqua, paraffinum liquidum, glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, squalane, propylene glycol, glycol montanate, PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, BHT, butylparaben, carbomer, disodium EDTA, phenoxyethanol, propylparaben, CI 17200, retinaldehyde (0.05%), tocopheryl glucoside, triethanolamine.

Ystheal Emulsion
contains polyacrylamide and is recommended with reservations. (link to why: http://makeupalley.com/board/m.asp/id=33499481/iPN=1/)

Retrinal is sold in the U.S. and is available in three concentrations: 0.025%, 0.05%, and 0.1%. The ingredients are similar to Ystheal Creme but Retrinal is reportedly lighter in texture.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Should I go for the emulsion or the cream for around the eyes?

Out of the two - I'd go for the emulsion, which is what I've used, it's quite heavy enough - can't imagine what the cream's like. I'd rather have the gel actually and layer with emu.
If you're used to retinoids I'd go for Diacneal if you can get it - the 0.1 retinaldehyde definitely has more kick, though I'd prefer the Retrinal because of the added pre-tocopherol Rolling Eyes My choices are restricted here.

BTW, in response to the original poster; their other product the Diroseal is again based on 0.5 Retinaldehyde and is to treat redness/veins so I guess the theory of more collagen covering up blood vessels is a good one. This one feels the most gentle of all of them.

I've ended up with all three - it's like being a stamp collector. Really I want the Retrinal and the gel though.
Goofygal
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I found the Avene Rétrinal ingredient list and saw that PG is listed and I think I am sensitive to that. As it's not listed as the first few ingredients, any idea if it will still irritates my skin?

Ingredients:
Water (aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Squalane, propylene Glycol, Glycol Montanate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, BHT, Butylparaben, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Prolylparaben, Red 33 (CI 17200), Retinal, Triethanolamine.

I sure hope I can use this as I have some small red veins that are visible on my upper eyelidsas well as cheeks area (broken caps maybe?). Sure that this will increase collagen and thicken the skin abit. I am also using Vit C in the day too.

TIA!

m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you MystyPines for checking out the ingredients! So, the Retrinal I bought IS twice as strong as the Ystheal products I've been using. And no pre-tocopheryl. Damn, and I bought two strengths so I can use the weaker one around my eyes. I guess this will be an experiment! Maybe it's serendipitous, and my skin will be ready to graduate to a higher level of retinaldehyde. We'll see. My Ystheal stock isn't quite depleted yet so it'll be a while before I switch. I'll keep you all posted once I do.

Hi Rjez - Thanks for printing out the ingredient lists. I hope the "lighter texture" of the Retrinal formula doesn't compound dryness since it's stronger. Frankly, I thought of trying Ystheal Creme instead of Emulsion since I apply this stuff at bedtime and the extra emollience is welcomed. I hope I didn't screw up and waste my money. I may have to break out the Retrinal sooner just to allay my anxiety!

I've used SkinCeuticals .5% Retinol and it was too harsh for regular use, much less on my eyes. That's what led me to Avene Ystheal. This will also be a good experiment to compare my retinol vs. retinaldehyde tolerance. Retinaldehyde IS supposed to be gentler in general. Time will tell. If my skin molts, at least I won't be getting as much sun exposure now that the seasons have changed!

Just had a thought -- if the Retrinal is too strong for me, would emu as a first layer be a good buffer???
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |