Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Am I making my oily skin worse?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
kiddo
5% products discount

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
So I've been using the PSF Balancing Oil (just a drop or 2), as I mentioned in another thread, for a few weeks now and haven't seen any sign of improvement - I'm as greasy as ever (yes, I will try to be patient Smile But I'm also wondering, could I be making it even harder for myself by using the wrong kind or too much of my cleanser and toner?

I recently switched to St. Ives Clear Pore Cleanser (I think that's the full name). It has tea tree and salycilic acid. Then I use witch hazel as a toner (this says 14% alcohol on the label - too harsh??). Then I put the balancing oil on. I do this morning and night. Plus at night, I add Retin-A Micro after the balancing oil.

I'd love opinions on whether my cleanser/toner routine might be too harsh (i.e. stripping the oil, and in turn causing more oil production).

I hate this juggling act Sad

Thanks all!
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
From personal experience, it is not the oil that is not working, it is your cleanser and toner that is wayyyy too harsh on the skin - especially during a time when you are trying to achieve balance on your skin.

Stop using the cleanser and toner (yes any alcohol is too strong in my opinion, especially if it is the generic denatured alcohol, which it most likely is). If you can, switch to something more aligned with the oil you are using, for example - the Dr Hasuchka cleansing cream, and toner if you feel necessary.

You don't need to use astringents on your skin yet (products that tighten the pores) because they do nothing to help minimise oil production. If you are finding this period to be too hard to cope with, like the shinies during the day, try a light dusting of Jurlique rose dust or regular corn/rice starch.
kiddo
5% products discount

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Miranets for your quick reply! I think I will try switching my cleanser yet again. I don't think I can afford the Dr. Hasuchka though. Would you recommend just a pure glycerin soap? What something like Purpose or Basis?
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
kiddo I agree that your cleanser and toner are too harsh.

My experience with glycerin soap has been that it is too drying and I have slightly oily skin. You may want to try Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. Although it does not do the best job on heavy makeups or sunscreens. Another great option is Bioderma Crealine H20 no rinse cleanser. This will remove makeup and sunscreen. You can also use this as a toner. Very gentle and non-drying.

Just curious, is there a reason that you are applying your RetinA after your balancing oil. I would think that the oil would prevent the RetinA from penetrating. But then again maybe this is what you are trying to do to reduce irritation?
kiddo
5% products discount

Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, I hadn't thought about the order in which I've been applying the Retin-A. I've always done that last, after moisturizing, as I think it says to do it this way on the info sheet. But I wonder if I should be doing it the other way around while using the oil. Does seem like I've been getting more clogged pores since using the oil - maybe the Micro gel's not getting thru! Thx for the tip Smile
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
Kiddo,

I would avoid the soaps, anything 'foaming' is too drying.

For a suitable cleanser, I am trying to think of some oil based products that are not so $$ and readily available... I'm assuming you are in the States? So do most local supermarkets carry Avalon organics or Aubery organics? I'm totally clueless. I don't know if there are lots of generic Dr H cleansers out there...

Cetaphil is good too, but I had problems with blocked pores with that, if you don't have that problem then that is a very cheap option.

You could also try the oil cleansing method, just buy some castor oil plus another carrier oil to mix, you can also mix some pure glyerine too.

HTH
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Kiddo-
I too have to keep a tight budget on cleansers and such, at times my choices are very limited. Plus I have isuses with spending more that 20$ on a cleanser. Anyway, I have tried Cetaphil and was less than thrilled with the results. It broke me out and clogged my pores. I have been using Aveeno Ultra-Calmimg Foaming Cleanser. It works well to remove makeup and dirt without stripping my skin and it was only about 6$ USD. A really good drugstore cleanser!
carmenlu
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I think the witch hazel is too harsh. I like Clinique toner for oily skin.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot to say, I think the witch hazel is too harsh as well, Clinique toner isnt much better, it has alot of alcohol too.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
carmenlu wrote:
I think the witch hazel is too harsh. I like Clinique toner for oily skin.

Yikes!!!! I would rather use pure witch hazel than clinique anything.

Witch hazel is the second ingredient of Zenbiotic phyto moisturiser, and it does not dry my skin at all. Witch hazel itself is antiseptic and not a big problem if it is not adulterated with alcohol. Most drugstore 'witchhazel' is actually more than 50% alcohol.

Clinique toners first ingredient is denatured alcohol. Unless you have super resilient skin, I would keep away. Though I know people who absolutely love the line and have OK results, for me it was not worth the money for what it did to my skin.
chloes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
I have oily skin too and I say stop trying to control the oil with chemicals. Use face blotters during the day. Use a drying mask once a week and moisturise with a gel or cream-gel moisturiser. Retin A is okay to clear your pores on alternate days, but do use a moisturizer over it. You'd regret it if you end up with oily but saggy skin as you age.
radiantface
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
I have oily skin too and I only found balance after using Decleor Aromessence Ylang Ylang and the Matte Skin Finish Liquid. For once, my make-up stays on and doesn't get washed away in a sea of oil.
Kallia
5% products discount

Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone here use the oil cleansing method? i haven't searched on these forums yet, but I've tried it and so far I'm loving it.

I saw someone post about corn/rice starch. Ocean mist cosmetics has a rice powder finishing powder that might work well. I use it under and over my foundation, but I think cleasning with oil and moisturizing with jojoba help a lot too.
tmeyer66
5% products discount

Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using the OCM for about 6 months, and am very happy with the results. I also use Carekate's ACV Super-Toner. At night - I apply my Retin A Micro to bare skin, about 20 minutes after I've used the toner. I then wait about 15-20 more minutes, and use a biological healing oil (mix varies, depending on my mood and what I think my skin needs). This regime has worked wonders for my skin. And - isn't that expensive! I have learned so much from this forum - and am now saving $$$!

Theresa
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |