Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

emu oil
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
tthagen1
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on an emu oil that does not have an odor (or is there not such a thing). I have some emu oil from skin biology, but I truly cannot stand the smell. I keep trying to use it, as I hear nothing but good raves about it, but the smell gags me. Also it is quite thick and yellow, so even the appearance is not too pleasing.

I would love to know if there is another line of emu oil that is recommended.

thank you all.
Terri
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi - the ultra-emu seems quite odourless to me and I reckon the clear emu probably is because of its processing. You might be sensitive though. You can get samples or full pots of this stuff from eitherwww.skincarecentral.biz orwww.dianayvonne.com
HTH Molly
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:26 am      Reply with quote
I have Emu Fire (australian brand) which sells pure emu oil (clear, liquid, slight smell but nothing bad) in 50ml tube. You can buy it online. I am using it currently as a moisturiser and a muscle ache soother (since the latter is what it is actually advertised for ^_^).
HTH
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:06 am      Reply with quote
The clear one has no odor whatsoever that I can tell, my ultra emu oil has no smell either. My Grade A which I use for the body does have a slight smell if I really put it up to my nose.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi Molly, do you know if the Dianayvonne website ship to Canada, I can't find their shipping policies.
Also, is there a difference between the Emu oil on EDS and the one on Dianayvonne? Thanks.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Yes, DY ship to Canada. The only difference I can see between the Dremu (here on EDS) and the ultra emu over on DY is the price. They apparantly both use exactly the same triple refining process.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:36 am      Reply with quote
I bought some emu oil facial cream for its sunblock properties, but I have to warn you that it made me break out like crazy (and I'm not THAT breakout prone!) so be carful if you have remotely acne-prone skin, the stuff can really clog your pores.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:56 am      Reply with quote
I think that's a little unusual ginnielizz if you don't mind me saying so. Only a lot of acne prone people here and on theskincareboard swear by emu oil. Of course you could be different, but if it was a sunscreen it must have contained other chemicals and it's more likely they'd be the culprit.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
I highly recommend the Emu Oil from Earth to Body. www.earthtobody.ca I've grown to really love it. It's 100% pure emu oil. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for asking this question and for the replies ladies.

I am using Dremu and at first I would literally gag when I put it on due to the yuck factor. It has got easier to use and does not bother me much anymore (ok i lie.. i cheat and add ylang ylang). This oil is not clear though so I will be checking the more refined, colorless ones.

btw I did order products before from dianayvonne and they shipped overseas (to UK for me)

ginnielizz I have breakout prone skin that reacts to products and emu oil is a great healer for existing blemishes. It has never caused new ones on me. Maybe this product you used had other additives. I think emu oil is best with just that - add emu and stir. Do try a sample again.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:04 am      Reply with quote
I've been using emu oil from Jurassic Secret for the past few months and I love it. I don't notice any odor with it, and it's clear/slightly milky depending on the temperature.
www.jsemuoil.com

1oz is $9.95 and it gets cheaper the more you buy. They also have a variety of other products (creams, soaps, etc.) that I have not yet tried. Their shipping is reasonable and quick.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:32 am      Reply with quote
Hi Tularyn,

This looks great. I tried finding out if they shipped internationally but no reply so far. Are you international or US?

The other oils like dianneyvonne have stuff in them, Vit E etc. I prefer just emu (with necessary stabilisers etc and looking for less yuck factor plus its certified - fab. I hope I can try some.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:08 am      Reply with quote
Hi blacklace - the clear and ultra emu at DY are just emu with a tiny amount of Vit E which is used as a preservative.

The Skinbio emu which DY sells has other things, sure.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Im using Dremu, it has no odor and sinks in really quickly, love it. My only problem with it is that because its a glamour brand its VERY pricy. I will probably order from another source because of that.

ginnielizz- I would assume that because you used it in a cream form that it had additives in it that caused you to breakout, not necessarily the Emu itself. I would suggest trying it in a liquid form before you give up on it. Very Happy
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Molly!
I will try ordering it today.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
I second Molly's suggestions. The Ultra Emu is supposed to have 45% more anti-inflammatory activity of the clear. I find that the Ultra Emu absorbs better than the clear Emu for me--but I read other people have the opposite response so I think you just have to see which works better for you.

Skincarecentral.biz definitely ships internationally, too, for a flat rate so if you haven't ordered yet, you might try there instead. Kathleen is great.
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried quite a few Emu Oils.I prefer the clear,triple refined,Grade B.AEA graded emu oil.In colder weather even the clear gets cloudy.
I keep going back to LB Processors.The website is a little different,they also have Pel Products,I think more for anti-aging and a line called Country Devine.They have a large selection.
I recently got Emu fron GOW,and it is the light yellow creamy,with a bit of an odor.I added a few drops of Vit E,and Lavender.I always put a light coat of HA to help it soak in.It does a good job on irritated areas.
Linda
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
I use Dremu and it definitely HAS a yucky smell... Confused But my skin seems to quite like it.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
I think that's a little unusual ginnielizz if you don't mind me saying so. Only a lot of acne prone people here and on theskincareboard swear by emu oil. Of course you could be different, but if it was a sunscreen it must have contained other chemicals and it's more likely they'd be the culprit.

Hm, I realize I'm responding to this AGES after the fact, but I may need to revisit my opinions on emu oil. It wasn't a sunscreen, but it was a cream with other ingredients, so maybe some wax, butter or oil she used was just clogging my pores. Thanks for opening my mind back up to this ingredient, after the buzz on EDS I feel the need to retry it!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
I also like the LB Processors Emu oil. They have different kinds, I got the most expensive one. It's still fairly reasonable compared to Dreamu though.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
After reading all about emu oils, I'm still not quite sure as to their purpose. From my understanding, you use this instead of a traditional moisturizer, is that right?
What if I'm using other products such as silken pearl? Will it make my MMU go on funny, or increase oil breakthrough?
dokusan
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:24 am      Reply with quote
Have any Canadian members ordered from LB Processors? What is the shipping like and what experience did you have with Canadian customs and emu oil. The prices at LB Processors sure look attractive. I am sick of paying Dremu prices.
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:07 am      Reply with quote
There is a reason why EMU oil can end up smelling bad. It has approximately 15% of C18-2 Linoleic Acid in its fatty acid profile. This means there is at least 15% of the composition with a carbon "double bond" in the 18 carbon chain. A double bond in the fatty acid profile is susceptible to oxidation and breaking down. It breaks down into small carbon chain length materials and these materials SMELL BAD. It's called going "rancid" because of exposure to oxygen. It is going to happen and you cannot stop it. Depending on how "freshly" made your sample is the material could smell good, or smell bad right off the bat because the shelf life will be short.

Imagine if you will leaving a pan of chicken fat sitting out on the stove (remember EMU oil is just bird fat). It is going to start to smell bad pretty quickly. The reason for the bad smell is the same.

You would be much better off using something like Macadamia Oil which has a fatty acid profile much more similar to human skin, and it has few if any double bonds. So Macadamia Oil is "inherently stable" and will not go rancid or smell bad over a very, very long time period. High Oleic Sunflower Oil and Jojoba oil would be other recommended substitutes for EMU oil as well. Plus, all three are botanical, and not animal derived.

John

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:12 am      Reply with quote
I have been using Dremu since February and I love it. I have never experienced any odor at all.

At night, I use it in place of a traditional moisturizer with special attention to patting it around the eyes.
Cadia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:17 am      Reply with quote
John C. Hill wrote:
You would be much better off using something like Macadamia Oil which has a fatty acid profile much more similar to human skin, and it has few if any double bonds. So Macadamia Oil is "inherently stable" and will not go rancid or smell bad over a very, very long time period. High Oleic Sunflower Oil and Jojoba oil would be other recommended substitutes for EMU oil as well. Plus, all three are botanical, and not animal derived.

John

Thank you for an interesting post and not at least for these botanical alternatives. The Macadamia oil is now on my shopping list Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |