Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What would you wear? Help for the fashionably impaired...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
This forum is really a life saver for me. I'm not close with any girls who care much about their appearances, and when I ask questions to my close friends or try to talk about skin care I always feel like I'm annoying them or sounding too vain.. So it's amazing to suddenly know a big group of intelligent and caring women (and men) who aren't afraid to discuss physical appearance among other things. This is by far the best forum out there, and it's so funny because NO BODY (not even the people who have been coming here for years) has come off as "elitist". This forum is extremely welcoming for how high the quality is!
I really need to learn to stick to the point, but this forum has really been a great addition to my life. Anyway, my boyfriend was recently hired as a fire fighter/paramedic for our city, and this month every day from 7-6 he has been going to the orientation program for the newly hired. At the end of the orientation, there's some kind of ceremony that he doesn't know much about. I'm going of course, and I have no clue what to wear!!! I'm freaking out. I really don't own dress clothes. I either wear:
1. Scrubs
2. Gym clothes
3. Nothing
I asked him if I was supposed to wear a dress (I do have a black dress for when people die or get married) He said not to worry about that, and that it wouldn't be that dressy. (He knows I don't like wearing dressy clothes, but I'd rather dress apropriatly than be comfortable)
So the ceremony is not black dress dressy, but I can't wear scrubs, spandex or nothing, so I'd like to know what your thoughts are? Also, any suggestions on looking your best in 7 days would be great too.
Here's what I plan on doing:

Crest white strips- the one week version. My mom gave it to me recently because "my teeth were looking BAD".

Rhythmic night conditioner- Hoping this will prevent breakouts and heal my post breakout hyperpigmentations. Any other suggestions for healing acne marks quickly (wishful thinking, i know)

Aspirin mask followed by green apple peel for the same purposes as above.

Also, slathering coconut oil on my knees, elbows, and feet every five minutes. I really need to order some candessence body products because the coconut oil is just so-so, but my elbows and snees are real bad.

And finally, I am going to deep condition my hair a lot. It's so dry lately.

Okay, that's all! All suggestions for anything are very welcome. Thank you so much for reading, if you made it this far you are a very kind person Laughing
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
What is your boyfriend planning to wear?

Off the top of my head I would think I nice pair of wide-leg pants and a fitted blouse with a belt or some cute jewelry would be appropriate for just about any occasion, unless it's extremely formal (which it doesn't sound to be).
Denim is really popular this season as well, and dark denim with appropriate jewelry/top/shoes might be another option. Just remember to keep things in proportion (Ie: fitted top with wide leg pants, or flowy top with skinny jeans, or an even amount on both...like a semi snug blazer with bootcut/straight leg corduroys or nice pants).

Example:

Image[/img]
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! I couldn't agree more! I love that outfit, Olyn!
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
Olyn wrote:

Off the top of my head I would think I nice pair of wide-leg pants and a fitted blouse with a belt or some cute jewelry would be appropriate for just about any occasion, unless it's extremely formal (which it doesn't sound to be).
Denim is really popular this season as well, and dark denim with appropriate jewelry/top/shoes might be another option. Just remember to keep things in proportion (Ie: fitted top with wide leg pants, or flowy top with skinny jeans, or an even amount on both...like a semi snug blazer with bootcut/straight leg corduroys or nice pants).

Example:

Image[/img]

That would be gorgeous! Thanks so much! I'll be on the lookout for something in the same style tomorrow. My boyfriend has to where his uniform Rolling Eyes so that isn't really any help, but regardless, that outfit would be perfect! Thanks!
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with the above posters. I'd definitely go with those type of pants, not dress pants but the type in Olyn's picture. They're casual but do not impart the casual feeling that jeans do. I agree on the top as well but not necessarily have to be a blouse, just any fitted top that would go nicely with the pants. And since it's autumn already perhaps a fitted corduroy or velvet jacket would be perfect.

I LOVE the shoes in Olyn's picture!
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
Olyn, you should be a stylist...you have such a natural flair for putting things together. Love the outfit!
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Get yourself a sexy pantsuit Razz
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
Smile Thanks everybody for your nice comments on the outfit I suggested! Dealated, I hope you can find something similar that suits your taste (All the pieces to that outfit can be found at Anthropologie-I work there PT. I don't know what your budget is like, but Target, Old Navy, and the main department store brands like Macy's or even JC Penney's have a lot of great cheaper items that follow along the same style trends).

Dollbird, I would Love to be a stylist/fashion consultant (or even a personal shopper), but have no idea how I'd ever get started in the business. I think it's one of those things where you have to 'know the right people' to really make it.

Dealated, happy shopping and I hope you have a nice time at the ceremony. Smile
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
Olyn wrote:
Smile Thanks everybody for your nice comments on the outfit I suggested! Dealated, I hope you can find something similar that suits your taste (All the pieces to that outfit can be found at Anthropologie-I work there PT. I don't know what your budget is like, but Target, Old Navy, and the main department store brands like Macy's or even JC Penney's have a lot of great cheaper items that follow along the same style trends).

Dollbird, I would Love to be a stylist/fashion consultant (or even a personal shopper), but have no idea how I'd ever get started in the business. I think it's one of those things where you have to 'know the right people' to really make it.

Dealated, happy shopping and I hope you have a nice time at the ceremony. Smile

That's so funny Olyn, I was planning on going to anthropologie! It's my favorite store, I could spend hours in there. You must love working there!
tetyanak
5% products discount

Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="Olyn"]What is your boyfriend planning to wear?

Olyn, I love the shoes you suggested, can you tell me where can I buy them?

As for personal styling career, I know a few people who got their start in fashion merchandizing, slowly building customer base from there
Thanks
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="tetyanak"]
Olyn wrote:

Olyn, I love the shoes you suggested, can you tell me where can I buy them?

As for personal styling career, I know a few people who got their start in fashion merchandizing, slowly building customer base from there
Thanks

I'm not Olyn, but I'd like to help:
http://www.anthropologie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=12933&itemType=PRODUCT&iSubCat=1207&iMainCat=812
Shock eeek... they're a little pricey Crying or Very sad
hanzawasama
5% products discount

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:15 am      Reply with quote
I saw a very similar top at TJ Maxx recently, for under 20$.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
I like the outfit too and I'm a old lady. Wow the shoes are over $200. They'd have to be a more neutral color or I'd have to make more money to buy them in kelly green. Love the shape though. Have fun at your so grad party.
Mabsy

Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
Oh I love those pants! I was going to suggest something similar (though I'm not as good at this as Olyn is Smile) - wide leg pants and a nice top.

Can I also suggest, as a skin pick-me-up, that you do some dry body brushing? It's a great exfoliator and will make that coconut oil you're using all the better.
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:06 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
Oh I love those pants! I was going to suggest something similar (though I'm not as good at this as Olyn is Smile) - wide leg pants and a nice top.

Can I also suggest, as a skin pick-me-up, that you do some dry body brushing? It's a great exfoliator and will make that coconut oil you're using all the better.

Thanks Mabsy! After hearing so much good about dry brushing in this forum, I think I'll go get one today!
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:

That's so funny Olyn, I was planning on going to anthropologie! It's my favorite store, I could spend hours in there. You must love working there!

Laughing It's my favorite store too, and I do love working there! I get tons of great feedback from customers, and it's a great creative and positive working environment.

In case you need a point of reference, the pants brand is Plus Four, and the top is by Fei. We have the top on sale at our store, although it isn't sale price yet in the online catalog.
The shoes are pricey, but the style is a great starting point to find something similar for a better price. Most of those working at my store (myself Definitely included) don't buy a whole lot from the store. I personally use a lot of the clothes as creative inspiration for putting outfits together from what I have at home or blend outfits from pieces we have at the store with my own items/stuff I find cheaper at other places.

Of course, if I was independently wealthy, I would probably be loading up on tons more cute stuff from the store though. Smile We have a cute Tibi dress I've had my eye on.

As an aside, I find great deals on shoes at places like DSW, Burlington Coat Factory, Marshalls, or TJ Maxx, if cost is an issue.
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
OOO I love the outfit suggested! dealated, if you're not sure about how dressy the occasion is, I suggest you wear a simply and classy pair of earrings and bring another flashier one just in case. It's an easy and quick way to be dressier. You can do this with other jewelry too ie. necklace, bracelet.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi dealated - I agree that Olyn's outfit is really cute (and I love Anthropologie -- just bought one of their sweaters), but I have to agree with katee's advice. I've found that at officious functions such as this, a pantsuit is unfailingly appropriate, especially if all of the men are going to be wearing their best uniforms. I've only got a couple of pantsuits myself (don't need them too often), but I can dress them up or down by wearing different tops, jewelry, shoes and other accessories. Of course if you're in a very warm climate, maybe Olyn's outfit or something similar would work better than a suit.

Be careful not to overdo it when it comes to your skin, so that you don't make matters worse! BTW, have you tried any glycolic acid products for acne? They can really help.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |