Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Why are items so cheap on eBay?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
AndrewL123
5% products discount

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thats funny I never had a problem with ebay. I recently ordered several products from there actually. I guess a tip is to order off sellers with very good feedback.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
Emma2006 wrote:
The trouble is with photos is if they are a dodgey seller then they will send a photo of a genuine item and then send you the fake.

I would never ever buy a bag from ebay as this area is riddled with fakes.
I saw once that 1 seller was selling authenticity cards for a Chanel bag... Just the cards... Shock

Never buy handbags online...they are most likely fake. Unless you go through sellers that belong to groups like mypoupette.com (resellers of Louis Vuitton).

I bought a silver bracelet...my first purchase on ebay...that was supposed to be from Tiffany's. Got it home and it turned out it was a fake. The seller cancelled her paypal and her ebay account so I never got my money back. Sad

Learned a hard lesson. Sad that even skincare and cosmetics also have the potential to be fake...people will go to any length to make a buck.

I just checked out that site ParisT. and I don't know......it seems that 88Caviar might not have all of them as real....I noticed one LV had it covered in plastic and that is what is usually done with fakes.

Have you purchased any throught that site?
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
Long Long ago a good freind worked for clinique, and any product that got scratched, dented...ect they got to keep, so its not always theft, but they damage it, then take it home free, hince perhaps no box!!!! The sales people, do take samples or gift stuff and are prob the ones selling the stuff or giving it freinds to sell it.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
AndrewL123 wrote:
I guess a tip is to order off sellers with very good feedback.

The company I bought from only had 6 negative comments out of over 1000, which is why I picked them. I figured if it didn't work out, I could at least get my money back. As soon as I opened the box, I knew it wasn't real leather.

I think all the positive comments were from people who, either didn't care because it looked real to them, or they just don't know how to tell the difference.
AndrewL123
5% products discount

Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
but did you also check what the people had actually bought in the positive feedbacks? Like all those feedbacks might be the seller selling shoes instead of brand name bags, so that factor comes into effect. Also, out of the 1000 feedbacks, how many of them were feedbacks from buyers that had purchased something from the seller. I see a lot of sellers with high feedbacks, but most of it came from items they purchased themselves that was left by their seller.

But all in all, I guess sometimes you just get bad luck.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="my sushi secret
They will swear up and down that it's 100% authentic and offer money back guarantees, and they'll still be fake. I a bag back under the condition that I wasn't "satisfied" with it because they still claimed it was genuine. I got a refund, but they'll only refund the shipping if you send them verification from an authorized retailer that it's been deemed inauthentic because they know stores will never do it.

I did buy the Lancome Microderm-C kit on Ebay; it was a sealed tester. I don't know how they get so many of them to sell, but I was happy with it.[/quote]

I think it's that a lot of people don't knwo what the real items look like - it's also that there are some extremely good fakes around.
I wouldn't mind having a fake (although, I actually think a lot of designer bags are ugly). However, I wouldn't want to pay top $ for a fake item.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
If you're ever in NY, hit up Canal Street and take your pick! My junior year, I went there with my graphic design club and got taken to a back room where they had entire catalogs of bags to choose from. Then someone gets on a walkie talkie and runs off somewhere and comes back with a garbage bag full of purses.

It's sketchy as hell, but it's pretty common. The people in line behind me were two mothers and daughters who come twice a year from Texas to get stuff.

Now that I'm not a poor college student, I buy real purses that aren't made by 10 year olds, but it was quite an adventure at the time!
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
I wouldn't want to buy fakes made by people in sweat shops either.
That sounds like a great place to go people watching.
s31pr
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:00 am      Reply with quote
I bought my IS Clinical samples from ebay. It's a seller that seems to have a big supply of both samples and normal sized products. I know that samples are easier to get (especially if you have a DR. friend or a Spa friend). What I really wonder is how they sell the normal sized one so cheap.

Don't however, rely only on the feedback. I saw good results from using a Kinerase tube I bought from my derm. Once I ran out, I saw a great deal on ebay from a seller who had good feedback and sold kinerase on a regular basis. The product smelled the same, but for some reason my skin didn't react the same way it did when I bought it from my derm. Strange..
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:13 am      Reply with quote
that's interesting...maybe it's expired?
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
good point about the photos!

Another thing that is reliable is their feedback and the amount of feedback they have. Also, if they have negative feedbacks, check it out and see what the complaint is about. I never buy from anyone with less than 98% feedback, and usually they have to have sold at least hundreds of items.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
AndrewL123 wrote:
Also, out of the 1000 feedbacks, how many of them were feedbacks from buyers that had purchased something from the seller. I see a lot of sellers with high feedbacks, but most of it came from items they purchased themselves that was left by their seller.

I have no clue what you just said. Laughing

Sellers buy their own products to leave positive feedback?
valkyrie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
my sushi secret wrote:
AndrewL123 wrote:
Also, out of the 1000 feedbacks, how many of them were feedbacks from buyers that had purchased something from the seller. I see a lot of sellers with high feedbacks, but most of it came from items they purchased themselves that was left by their seller.

I have no clue what you just said. Laughing

Sellers buy their own products to leave positive feedback?

I think AndrewL123 meant: you can get feedback for buying and for selling: how much of this seller's feedback was earned by buying stuff from others, instead of selling to others?
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
valkyrie wrote:
I think AndrewL123 meant: you can get feedback for buying and for selling: how much of this seller's feedback was earned by buying stuff from others, instead of selling to others?

Oh.....haha =) No, they were for sales, not purchases. And I did look at what was being sold; they sell all kinds of things, but most were bags.

I was pretty careful, and I kind of figured it was fake since it was only $200, but the fact that it was reiterated over and over that it was 100% authentic or refundable, intrigued me. When I opened it and was kind of suspicious, I took it to Neiman Marcus & Bloomingdale's where they said it looked really good, but wasn't real. Like I said, they aren't authorized to say it in writing though. So in the end, all I was out was $5 for shipping.
Adonis
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
$200 for a fake purse is outrageous. Even a great copy. My travels have taken me many times to Hong Kong and Bangkok. Quality "fake" purses/bags can be had for USD 5-20. Not my thing so, especially since somebody mentioned that they are most likely made by children.

Sad
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
I've purchased many handbags from eBay sellers. However, I wouldn't take a chance on buying an elite brand in a popular style -- I agree it would likely be a fake. Just look at how many Prada, Cloe, Mulberry, LV, Gucci, Kooba, Fendi, etc. listings there are for hot, trendy, expensive styles that have to be fakes at those prices.

But, I just got a [designer] bag on eBay I'd seen in San Francisco in June and didn't buy, and got it for about a third of the original price! Yippee!!! I know it's not a fake either because I've seen the genuine item in person, and can compare. I think eBay's great, but buyer beware!

I buy skincare, including many samples, on eBay. One thing I've noticed though with samples is that they may not be as potenet as a fresh, full-sized product. This was my experience with SkinCeuticals Retinol .5% -- I had no problem at all with the samples, but the full-size was too irritating for my skin.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
I love ebay buying - despite the sometimes ridiculous impulsive purchases I've made, ususally I just get a great bargain..

This thread has made me laugh a lot. Laughing Laughing

Everytime I look at a product on ebay now I'll be thinking it's got pee in it..
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
katee wrote:
The sellers pee in the bottles....

Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin

Katee: I remember you told us before that you sell on ebay. What's your ebay name? hmm Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
I have purchased many items from ebay, over and over. I use it as a means to get my staples for super cheap. I have even found myself going to stores and find items that I like and waiting to check ebay if I can find it there cheaper. Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

I have never had a problem with cosmetics. THings always come sealed and authentic.

I have to admit the one time that I was duped was with a handbag. I knew it was knockoff when I bought it but then it fell apart. I contacted the seller,she told me to send it back and I never heard from her again.
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
What a great threat I started!
esq
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Yes! Great job! It is comforting to know there are other addicted to EBAY, with the same concerns and observations.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
I bought DrH item from ebay, much cheaper and they are all original.
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
esq wrote:
Yes! Great job! It is comforting to know there are other addicted to EBAY, with the same concerns and observations.

I should be this week's winner. I have never had such a luck...
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
I am not a frequent Ebayer but have had more problems as a seller than a buyer.

Unfortunately there is some risk on Ebay as we are dealing with individuals, but I think that there is a much greater percentage of honest buyers and sellers and that if careful, most potential issues can be avoided.

If I am looking for something, I do not hesitate to check out Ebay.

Take care.
Bosoxy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="ahau"]that's interesting...maybe it's expired?[/quote]

ahau, you're on to something there. I looove buying on eBay. I used to sell there, as well-home decor stuff. Anyway, I just bought and received some MSM lotion and a couple other things from sellers I haven't purchased from before. These items were considerably cheaper than my local healthfood store even with shipping. The MSM expires in December 2006. Been sitting around somewhere for what? 18 months to 2 years? It was just a reminder for something I already knew but hadn't done this time--ask the seller what the expiration date is before bidding.

I think this is the major reason some of these items are so cheap on eBay.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |