Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Why are items so cheap on eBay?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
LOL Okay, need some help here. I just checked my profile again and nothing seems to be wrong. I can't use smilies and evidently "quote" doesn't work, either. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ari
hopemelody
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:18 am      Reply with quote
I thought about ebay purchasing, and then felt kind of uncomfortable. now, I am glad that i never did.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
LOL Okay, need some help here. I just checked my profile again and nothing seems to be wrong. I can't use smilies and evidently "quote" doesn't work, either. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ari

I know when you're a new member, there are certain things you can't do, like post links. I don't know about not being able to quote or use characters though, maybe that's that it?
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Duh!(slaps palm against forehead) Of course, that's it. In order to disable posting links, HTML has to be turned off.

Thanks, my sushi secret
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:50 am      Reply with quote
I just bought La Mer body lotion on eBay. It cost about $40 , which was a good deal considering the prohibitive list price. Again, it has no box. It's not totally full, that's not a problem for me. But its smell is so strange and unpleasant. It actually smells like a tube of glue. Has anyone used the body lotion before? I'm really afraid it's a fake. Help me!
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:31 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:

Never buy handbags online...they are most likely fake.

I can't underline that enough. I did a ton of research a couple of years ago. The sad thing is that now I will never purchase a LV because there are so many millions of fakes out there.

So many sellers use a photo from the company website ... but it's NOT the actual product you're getting.

I've come across a number of fake handbag websites that will include a 'certificate of authenticity' - so a seller claiming it comes with a certificate is still suspect. There was one seller I emailed - she claimed the bag was a gift and had a certificate. I looked at the photo and KNEW it was fake.

Love how these sellers are so altruistic that they're willing to sell a $2,000 handbag for a mere $100?

The biggest thing I've learned is to review the seller's feedback and email past buyers - even ones who gave a poor review.

Last year I really, really wanted a Steve Madden high-heeled sandal but it was sold out everywhere. Imagine my delight when I found it on Ebay.

I paid regular price for these and they arrived damaged. The piece was wrapped in separate tissue paper so the seller KNEW it was damaged. He wouldn't reply to my emails so I gave him a bad review. Course then he responded and told me he'd give me a bad review unless we "mutually agreed to remove comments". I refused. This guy is a power seller but if you looked up his ratings you'll see over 120 "mutually removed" comments and dozens of negatives. But because he's a powerseller he's a 98% positive seller.

Oh ... and I took the shoes to the cobbler to see if he could fix it ... THEY'RE FAKE! The cobbler showed me all the cheap areas ... aRGHHHH
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:46 am      Reply with quote
Wow, that's awful Rjez. I had that one bad experience buying, but I sold some concert tickets to a really nice buyer.

The fake LVs I got in New York had serial numbers, dustbags, everything. After I got sick of them, I starting researching how you can spot fakes by looking at them. There are so many dead give aways if you look closely. Like the monogram multicore; you tell in a second if they're real or not. Real ones have 33 or 37 different colors, and most of the fake ones have about 10.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:05 am      Reply with quote
my sushi secret wrote:
but I sold some concert tickets to a really nice buyer.

Yeah - that was my only negative experience and I continue to buy shoes, clothing, etc. on Ebay. I've never sold anything because I'm scared it will be too much effort and what if the buyer is unhappy?

my sushi secret wrote:
Like the monogram multicore; you tell in a second if they're real or not. Real ones have 33 or 37 different colors, and most of the fake ones have about 10.

Wow, didn't know that. The easiest thing for me with LV bags are the color of the tan straps and placement of buckles. (really wanted a Theda)

It is scary about beauty products and how easy it is to water down a product or send a fake.
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
Recalling what Katee said, I can't keep from thinking my La Mer has pee in it Crying or Very sad It sucks! Please tell me it's supposed to smell like glue!
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Don't know about the "pee" (LOL)but it's not supposed to smell like glue. My guess is it's expired and has gone "off" or is otherwise contaminated. I, personally, wouldn't chance it. Sorry.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
Agree with Arielle.

At best it's old and won't do a thing.
At worst it's old and diluted or fake and could give you a rash or worse.
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
Sigh. I even gave the buyer a positive review the day I received it (I'm probably too nice. I hate to say bad things about others), which is probably why you always see positive reviews.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
ahau wrote:
I hate to say bad things about others), which is probably why you always see positive reviews.

I think that's even more true for cosmetics. At least with clothing you'd know if there was a hole or something. With cosmetics, it may take a while before you realize or even open it! The positive reviews are really focused at "did I get it in a reasonable amount of time".
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Once I was really hyped to find some bargain deals for Dr Hauschka Rejuvenating and Firming masks, 2 for $40 or something, which is a GREAT deal! Then they tell you the expiry date... which is like Late '06 or Early '07.. so the stuff has been sitting around for a long long time. Most Dr H products that are "fresh" should have more than 24 months shelf life.

Also, some places set a very low Buy Now price.. but the shipping is like $30-$40 for within the US and $75 for int'l!

Well all in all, Ebay is a great place to find a bargain and try samples. I would just avoid buying anything too high value on there.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
Then they tell you the expiry date... which is like Late '06 or Early '07.. so the stuff has been sitting around for a long long time. Most Dr H products that are "fresh" should have more than 24 months shelf life.

GREAT point! I didn't even think about checking something like that. You could have genuine product but if it was stored improperly . . .

Sort of like buying wine from a private collector or something at Costco - too many times I forget to look at the expiration and realize it's the next month ... for something like 60 bags of microwave popcorn.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
Lately I've been e-mailing sellers and asking them these key questions:

(1) what is the expiration date of the item?
(2) how long have you had it?
(3) is it genuine, authentic product?
(4) how did you obtain it?
(5) is it new?
(6) can you guarantee it has never been opened or used?

People are usually really nice and respond back. The good ones answer all my questions, but if they opt not to answer #1, #3 and #6, I don't bother buying from them. I surely don't purchase from them if they fail to respond to my questions.

Also, I'm really leery of buying skincare and makeup that has to be sent to me from China or Hong Kong - they just don't have the same laws we have here. Knock-offs are a huge business in Asia and I'm always afraid I'm going to get fake product - a waste of money at best and dangerous to use at worst! I don't mind buying perfume from an Asisan source if I've used it before and know what it smells like - with fragrance, its easier to tell if something's gone bad or is not authentic.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
Rjez wrote:
too many times I forget to look at the expiration and realize it's the next month ... for something like 60 bags of microwave popcorn.

Laughing Laughing Laughing....that's too funny. Well, not so much for you I guess. Very Happy
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
I won a bottle of Pevonia RS2 concentrate a few weeks ago, the bid price was around $36usd, still a lot cheaper than retail..

I still haven't received the goods, so I emailed the seller today, they were so quick to respond, but they just said "File a dispute to get a refund".. I thought they were being impatient and didn't want to deal with shipment enquiries.. THEN......

When I went to check the seller's feedback again, it was down to 89%, there were around 68 sales for October, and 38 of them were NEGATIVE!!!!! And they just changed their feedback format so it was kept private Shock Shock Shock

They must have liquidated or something.. because I checked their previous feedback and it was great, the usual 99.9%....... yikes!

Hoopefully they won't put up a fight to reverse my Paypal charge..
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
My recommendation?

First, file Non-performing Seller complaint on eBay, then contact PayPal. Now PayPal takes a pretty long time to resolve some issues. So, immediately after notifying PayPal, contact your Credit Card company. Your credit card company is your best bet for getting your money back but go through the above steps.
hugaio
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
Faked and Expired!!!!
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:22 am      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl - Awesome questions and info. I need to copy those questions.

Miranets - That's horrible. Arielle's right - file claims ASAP (Ebay, Credit card, PayPal) and keep dates of all communications.
Nanapost
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:59 am      Reply with quote
I don't know where they get their merchandise but sometimes its the real thing, sealed and all, but the expiration date is soon. I always ask aabout the exp. dates.
heathercolorado
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:26 am      Reply with quote
[quote="ParisTroika"]
Emma2006 wrote:
The trouble is with photos is if they are a dodgey seller then they will send a photo of a genuine item and then send you the fake.

I would never ever buy a bag from ebay as this area is riddled with fakes.
I saw once that 1 seller was selling authenticity cards for a Chanel bag... Just the cards... Shock

Never buy handbags online...they are most likely fake. Unless you go through sellers that belong to groups like mypoupette (resellers of Louis Vuitton).

I bought a silver bracelet...my first purchase on ebay...that was supposed to be from Tiffany's. Got it home and it turned out it was a fake. The seller cancelled her paypal and her ebay account so I never got my money back. Sad

Do you have her name? PM me if you do--I may be able to track her down for you!

Handbags...I love Chanel bags and have so far have had really good luck by buying only slightly worn bags! A little vintage flair Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:02 am      Reply with quote
Mermaidgirl:

Good to hear your a skeptic about skin care on ebay. Gosh, we all know skin care is an absolutely huge $B business worldwide & if people can steal your home thru mortgage fraud w/out our even knowing it, how much easier is it to fake/doctor/"pee" whatever skin care products to any person who wants to improve her/his appearance.

Like many, I've spent lotsa moola on skin care but any mistakes I've made resulted from poor judgement, wrong product for me or improper use etc. But at least I was comfortable knowing someone didn't fool with it beforehand.

I'm too much of a chicken & skeptic to buy skin care on ebay....just sooo easy to rip off buyers. And lots of people out there who are very skilled at doing just that.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm too much of a chicken & skeptic to buy skin care on ebay....just sooo easy to rip off buyers. And lots of people out there who are very skilled at doing just that.

Hi arya2, I've shopped on ebay for 6 years now and have never gotten stuck with fake merchandise. Not only do I buy my favorite department store perfume and skincare products, but I purchased 2 designer handbags (genuine)

A lot of peeps in this thread have suggested checking the feedback of sellers before you buy.
A few other things to check as well. Idea

1. Look at the feedback sellers leave for others. I've backed off from bidding with some sellers with 99% feedback or higher based upon the comments they have left for buyers.

2. When reviewing feedback, check the items involved as well as content. Always the most valuable if feedback is for similar product to what you intend to buy. Key phrases like "Item as Described", "authentic", "xint condition", "fast shipping", "xint communications" are the kinds of feedback I look for in a new seller.

3. Email sellers before you bid. If they don't answer your email or answer all of your questions, move on to someone else. Communications are essential!

4. Know your product. Ebay isn't a venue to try new product - stick with products you are familiar with; familiarity will often allow you to spot fakes before the bid is even placed.

5. Try to use PayPal as much as possible, it will give you an additional layer of protection

6. Don't buy from Asia - too great a possibility for counterfeits.

7. Maybe it's naivete on my part Bad Grin but there are far more good sellers on ebay than the few bad apples that ruin things for everyone. The majority of sellers are real business people who want to keep their customers just as happy as they would in a brick and mortar store. Once I've found those great sellers, I tend to become a repeat buyer and have received a lot of great samples as a result! Smile

good luck and happy shopping!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |