Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I did it!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
I did my first TCA peel tonight (12.5%) I frosted a little more than I thought I would, mostly on my cheek bones and forehead. I had hubby take some before pics (he is so accomidating, he didn't even as why I wanted up close pictures of my face Wink I'll let you know how it goes!

Liz
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
That's great! If you wouldn't mind, could you post photos of after and before? Very Happy
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
Sure, it will be a week or so before I can do the after...I can take some 'during' pics if you want also. I plan on doing a series of three, so I'll take pics throughout.

Liz
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
you frosted? hmmm, i did the 12.5% 5 days ago - it barely felt warm on my skin & only today do I have the slightest of peeling & I did a 2nd layer 5 minutes after the 1st!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
Yay! Thank you very much. I have been curious about all kinds of various peels but I wasn't sure what the aftermaths is like...well in pictorial form. Thank you for being so generous.
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
It surprised me too! My skin is always been tough, so I didn't really expect much. It may have made a difference that I use MD Forte products regularly (the glycare cleanser III and the glycare II lotion, both of which use a 20% glycolic compound)

To show you how tough my skin is, a few months ago, I switch from RetinA to tazorac. My derm put me on the .05% gel. It did absolutely nothing...no redness or peeling. His instructions were to keep it on for 5 minutes and then wash it off. I was to keep adding a minute everyday that I didn't have irritation until I could leave it on for 10 min. then I could use it overnight. I left it on overnight the first night with no problem. On my last appointment, he switched me to the .1% gel...with great hesitation. I still haven't gotten any redness, just a teeny bit of flaking the first few weeks.

There wasn't a ton of frosting, but there was definitely some, mostly on the places that the sun hits my face the most (the places that you would put bronzer Wink

I may have gotten more frosting because my face is so exfoiliated from the taz and md forte so there was no dead skin, only fresh new skin....that's my theory anyway.
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I just discovered this forum this morning. You ladies are amazing in your knowledge. I saw someone recommended the Platinum TCA peel in another thread. I'm thinking of ordering one of the samples. Do any of you recommend a different brand. I'm a little nervous about doing this. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
BluesHeart,

I think the two most commonly recommended sites to purchase TCA arewww.makeupartistschoice.com andwww.platinumskincare.com . I purchased mine from MUAC, only because I wanted the 1/4 oz size and the other website didn't offer it.

On a side note, I also purchased a 2oz bottle of Perfect Complexion's TCA Latte ( http://perfectcomplexion.net/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=21 ) I was trying to decide if I would use the Latte or the 12.5% TCA. I decided to use the 12.5% TCA, so I don't have much need for the Latte. According to the website, I can't return the Latte so if anyone is interested in trying out this product, PM me and we can make a deal. Very Happy It is still sealed in the original packaging.

Liz
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Liz. I've got another question. I had a cold sore about three weeks ago. Does this mean I shouldn't try the TCA peel?

Kim
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:10 am      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
you frosted? hmmm, i did the 12.5% 5 days ago - it barely felt warm on my skin & only today do I have the slightest of peeling & I did a 2nd layer 5 minutes after the 1st!

Candy, did you prep your skin wth alcohol? I found that that's the key for frosting for me. And wow, I'm super impressed wth all you brave ladies takng the TCA plunge, keep us updated!!
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Kim,

I am by no means a TCA expert, as my first experiance was last night. I wouldn't put acid on any open wound. If you are ready to do your peel but you still have an active cold sore, you could put some vasoline on it so that you do not get any acid on it. I did have a small pimple, just below my lip that was well into the healing phase. It was still a little red and had only dried skin on top. I put the TCA on this with no problem.

HTH,
Liz
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
I thought you might be interested in this...it is step by step instructions for a tca peel...

Medium depth peels
Trichloroacetic is the author’s agent of choice for this effective peel modality. It is very controlled, penetrating the basal layer of the epidermis, papillary dermis, and even extending to the upper reticular dermis. The concentration of the peel, the number of coats applied, the pressure during application, and the preparation of the skin will affect the depth and the final result. Concentrations of 10% to 20% function as superficial peels and are recommended as mild exfoliants to treat mild actinic changes or when patients cannot spare any downtime. The neck and hands are areas treated with these lower concentrations. Concentrations of 30% to 40% are considered medium depth peels and will affect the papillary dermis.

Preparation

Patients with a history of herpes simplex should be pretreated with acyclovir, 400 mg four times daily, beginning 24 hours before the peel and continuing after the peel for about a week. When possible, a home care regimen of topical AHAs, retinoids, bleaching agents, and sunscreen should be started at least 2 weeks before the peel.

Steps of application

Cleansing

The skin should be well cleansed with make-up remover, wiped with toner to remove remaining debris, and then degreased with alcohol or acetone. Care should be taken with these aromatic liquids in the periocular area.

Fig. 6. Irregular frosting during a 20% TCA peel for improvement of lower eyelid dyspigmentation and texture. Vaseline limits the borders of the peel.

Patient preparation

Owing to the nature of this peel, a mild analgesic is recommended 30 minutes before the treatment. The patient should wear loose fitting clothing, and a headband should be used to keep the hair away from the face. Tetracaine eye drops are applied, and a petrolatum base lubricant is applied to the skin to delineate the limit of the peel, avoiding dripping of the solution down the neck, into the ear, or in other unwanted areas. The patient’s head remains elevated throughout the procedure.

Application

With a folded 4 by 4 gauze pad or three small cotton-tipped applicators grasped in one hand, application is started on the forehead from the midline to the side, the other side, down the nose, the eyelid (2 mm below the lower lid margin), the cheek, the other eyelid, the other cheek, and, finally, the perioral area. After a few minutes, frosting should become apparent, and one can assess where to apply additional TCA. For the eyelids, a single small cotton tip applicator is used (Figs. 6 and 7A,B).

Pearls about the application
The skin should be stretched tightly to allow the chemical to treat the depth of the wrinkle and to prevent it from staying on the shoulders of the rhytid.
The applied coats of the peel should not be overlapped. One should assess the completeness of the frosting and the length of time for the frost to appear before applying additional coats. The more homogeneous the frosting, the more rapidly the frost appears and the more profound the depth of the peel.
To avoid a demarcation line, the peel should be extended into the hairline and beyond the jawline. If one plans to use two coats of the TCA solution on the face, one coat should be applied 1 cm beyond the jaw for blending purposes.
One should be consistent about the pressure applied during the application of the peel. The peels are very technique dependent.
One should consider the preparation of the skin. Patients who have been using retinoids or who have been prepared with keratolytic solutions should be observed carefully to avoid overtreatment.

Fig. 7. (A) Photographs before and (B)1 week after a laser-assisted lateral canthal plication and lower eyelid 20% TCA peel. A significant improvement in lid level and contour is noted; mild erythema and hyperpigmentation are still evident. This appearance cleared by the second postoperative week.

Depth of the peel

The degree of frosting of the skin reveals the desired level of penetration of a TCA peel. Frosting denotes coagulation of protein. Clues to the depth of penetration as determined by the level of frosting are as follows (see Fig. 3B– D):
No frosting or minimum frosting occurs in a very superficial peel limited to the stratum corneum.

Minimum frosting in a scattered pattern with mild erythema occurs in a superficial epider mal peel.

Mild frosting with erythema showing through occurs in a full epidermal peel.

With total frosting (homogeneous), the peel penetrates from the epidermis to the papillary dermis. If the skin acquires a grayish appear-ance, the peel has penetrated the reticular dermis and can lead to scarring.

To prevent complications or overcoating, the physi-cian should observe the frosting time. The time between the application of the peel and frosting is about 40 to 90 seconds. One should wait until the frosting is completely evident, denoting which level or depth has been achieved, before applying another coat.

Time to change from frosting to erythema

How fast the skin changes from frosting to erythema denotes the depth of the peel:
In a superficial peel to the basal layer of the epidermis, the frosting fades in 15 minutes.

In a medium depth peel to the papillary dermis, the frosting fades in 30 minutes.

In a deeper peel to the reticular dermis, the frosting fades in 60 minutes.

The application of cold compresses immediately following application of the TCA can reduce the symptoms of burning and discomfort but will not neutralize the peel. Moist compresses can dilute any excess TCA that remains on the skin.

Postpeel care

Healing time depends on the depth of the peel. In a superficial peel, the healing time is 1 to 2 days. A gentle cleanser and bland moisturizer are required. A normal skin care routine can be resumed in 4 to 5 days. A medium depth peel requires a longer healing time. The skin will turn from light to dark brown in 72 hours. It will start peeling off around the mouth, eyes, and finally on the forehead. In 5 to 6 days, most of the crusting will have peeled off, and a radiant glowing skin will be apparent. In the early postpeel period, only bland moisturizers such as Aquaphor, Vaseline, or CU3 copper peptide cream should be used. In the early postpeel period, sun avoidance, with use of hats and sunglasses, is of paramount importance. After the first week, patients should begin to use transparent zinc oxide sunscreens.

Complications and management of complications

Hyperpigmentation

Patients with skin types II, III, and IV should be very aware of this transient complication. It can be ameliorated or prevented with extreme sun avoidance. Once it occurs, the use of Retin-A with bleaching agents (hydroquinone, kojic acid) is highly recommended. Care should be taken not to overtreat and create an additional inflammatory response with secondary hyperpigmentation.

Hypopigmentation

The occurrence of hypopigmentation is proportional to the depth of the peel. Once destroyed by the chemical agent, the melanocytes cannot recover.

Herpes simplex

Patients with a previous history are prophylatically treated with antiviral agents starting the day before the peel and continued for 1 week. If there is an active lesion on the face, the peel should not be performed.

Scarring

Scarring is rare. It is secondary to the depth of the peel or to infection or trauma. Patients who have undergone treatment with Accutane within 1 year before the peel are not good candidates for chemical peels because re-epithelialization is compromised.

Patients who undergo chemical peels should be carefully monitored (Fig. Cool. When early signs of infection, such as persistent crusting and erythema that does not resolve with mild cleansing, or hypertrophic healing are observed, a more aggressive treatment regimen with topical and systemic antibiotics and topical steroids can be instituted.

Chemical peels are a minimally invasive modal ity of skin rejuvenation and an effective addition to the arsenal of skin therapies. The learning curve is not steep, the cost patient satisfaction is low, and is high.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
dealated wrote:
Candy8865 wrote:

Candy, did you prep your skin wth alcohol? I found that that's the key for frosting for me. And wow, I'm super impressed wth all you brave ladies takng the TCA plunge, keep us updated!!

I did - actually a 3 to 1 mix of acetone & alcohol...check me out - it's called Defatting. Heh, heh - I actually knew the answer for a change!! Wasn't really thrilled about swiping that on my face, but figured wasn't gonna be any worse than I was about to do with the peel. Which BTW - 12.5% did zilch for me. I had some ever so minor peeling on the bridge of my nose & upper lip. So - looks like ole 'rhino skin' here is off to purchase a stronger strength...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
dealated wrote:
Candy8865 wrote:

I did - actually a 3 to 1 mix of acetone & alcohol...check me out - it's called Defatting. Heh, heh - I actually knew the answer for a change!! Wasn't really thrilled about swiping that on my face, but figured wasn't gonna be any worse than I was about to do with the peel. Which BTW - 12.5% did zilch for me. I had some ever so minor peeling on the bridge of my nose & upper lip. So - looks like ole 'rhino skin' here is off to purchase a stronger strength...

Shock Laughing Wow! I'm kind of speachless, I hope the stronger strength works for you!!
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
I just wanted to update you on my peel. I have absolutely no discomfort. My face looked fairly normal for the first two days. On the third day, I got some substantial peeling on my cheeks, chin and upper lip. Today, the fourth day, I still have some very dry spots (on my cheeks and forehead) but little peeling. I have pretty much decided that I will try a two layer peel next time.

Once all this peeling has stopped, I'll take some pics and post them so that you can see the before and after.

Liz
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
abejita wrote:
I just wanted to update you on my peel. I have absolutely no discomfort. My face looked fairly normal for the first two days. On the third day, I got some substantial peeling on my cheeks, chin and upper lip. Today, the fourth day, I still have some very dry spots (on my cheeks and forehead) but little peeling. I have pretty much decided that I will try a two layer peel next time.

Once all this peeling has stopped, I'll take some pics and post them so that you can see the before and after.

Liz

Oh please do Liz! I love before and after pictures Laughing Smile
edithsz
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Abejta for the really detailed step by step instruction posted on here earlier by you. It is really helpful for one that just starts with TCA peels.

Thanks again.
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi Abejita,

Well done!! I hope you really like the results of your first home peel. I've always wanted to try doing a peel myself but it's more a time factor for me...I've had a few in-salon peels which gives my complexion a real boost.

But what your oppinion? Are home peels just as good as professional ones?
I'd love to turn my bathroom into a day spa (not that it's not one already!!) Very Happy

Summertimegirl
xx
edithsz
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:37 am      Reply with quote
I have done my spot test last night with 18% TCA, got just a bit of frosting and slight redness on the treated area. All I applied after it was CP serum and later some emu oil.
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
no pics yet?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |