Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Eyeliner tip from Allure
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:22 am      Reply with quote
I am a huge fan of vampy, 50's style makeup, especially the dramatic winged liner. My problem is that I hate pencil liner(except on the bottom)having to keep up with a sharpner and dealing with messy shavings going everywhere makes me crazy. Forget about liquid liner, I hate those little pots and the wand style is too bulky for me. Plus I cant ever get the lines as clean and sharp as I want them, soooooooo thus my love affair with cake liner was born. Using an angled brush for some reason is the easiest application method to use, I guess its the artist in me! Anyway, I refuse to use the spit and rub technique and tap water gets to be tricky and a pain in the butt, Ive been searching for an alternate way to get the liner wet, when I was flipping through the latest issue of Allure I came across an article saying you should use contact lens solution. It truly does make the color stay longer. Because I dont wear contacts I just picked up a little trial bottle for around 2 bucks. That way I can take it with me when traveling. I just put a few drops on my brush and rub it on the brick, perfect everytime! Hope this helps someone! Very Happy
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:26 am      Reply with quote
ooh, thanks for the tip.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:10 am      Reply with quote
I read this too and plan to give it a try... Still wading through my issue of Allure. I did try my own version of the Scarlett Johanssen cover look. I never thought to mix copper and purple, but it turned out really nice.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:23 am      Reply with quote
OMG the Scarlett Johannsen cover look is gorgeous!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
Use Visine... it will work the same as contact lens solution and you won't have to make a special trip to the store. I use it with the Laura Mercier cake liners.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
stellamaris wrote:
Use Visine... it will work the same as contact lens solution and you won't have to make a special trip to the store. I use it with the Laura Mercier cake liners.

I thought about this but, I figured I could get more mileage out of a slightly bigger bottle of contact solution.
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:35 am      Reply with quote
I just bought the lipstick SJ is wearing on the cover, L'oreal Color Juice Stick in Personali-tea - it is gorgeous! The perfect nude lip, kind of like a gloss in a lipstick shape. It was about 9$ which was kinda pricey, but worth it!
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:33 am      Reply with quote
Great tip! I 'm with you on the makeup look...Love the 50's liner look but hate running to the bathroom to get the brush wet etc so I dont use my cake liners very often...now I will.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:50 am      Reply with quote
I, too, love the vampy look and have had the little tails on the ends of my eyes since gosh knows when...14? I've used MAC liquid boot liner for years, but recently I purchased this stuff from Aromaleigh thats in a bottle (liquid) that is initially meant for mixing with their mineral eyeshadows to stay on better..or to use as eyeliner. I've been using a drop every day with an eyeliner brush and blending it with MAC eyeshadow in black and it goes on magnificently. Also works nice for eyeshadows because I hate putting eyeshadow on in the morning and having it practically nonexistant by the time I get home:(

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:44 am      Reply with quote
I've used the contact solution and Visine trick before. Both work well Smile I found the staying power to be pretty decent!
nikkilici0us
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
OMG the Scarlett Johannsen cover look is gorgeous!!

my uncle is a hairstylist in California and he just styled her hair for her In Style covershot.. he said shes beautiful!

he also did Jessica Alba for her current Elle cover! SO EXCITING! i'm going to see him in California in a bit for work opportunities [im a hairstylist too] and i can't wait!!

extraneous info though! on the actual subject, i've tried this technique too and i love it <3

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the tip vonstella. I am crazy about cake eyeliner (i use chanel's), but just don't always have time to apply it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
I use an automatic pencil because I also hate sharpening but i'll try this for a dramtic look. Great tip!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you! - this is my favorite way of applying eye-liner...but I've been using tap.
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to point out that you can use the Visine/saline solution trick to deepen eyeshadow for "foiling" or to prevent the crazy glitter that is in some brands (e.g. Urban Decay) from flaking off onto your face.

5% products discount

Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
MAC gel liner . . I love that stuff. Glides on with an angled brush and and stays on and on and on.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
I use Trish McEvoy Finish Line and it's fantastic! Contact lens solution would be cheaper though saying that I still had 50% of my Finish Line left after 2 years..I just bought a new bottle to keep it fresh.
Enigma
5% products discount

Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Is cake liner the same thing as eyeshadow? hmm
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
No I don't think cake liner is the same as eyeshadow, but I guess we'd need to compare ingredients. I always found it had a much denser texture. But then again, some shadows you can use wet or dry, so that would probably make them a cake liner...or eyeshadow.

I think I just confused myself Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
Great tip! Thank you! Smile
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Are there people who have used both gel liners and cake liners? Of the two, which do you find is easier to apply?????
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:35 am      Reply with quote
I've used both and I think that cake liner easier to apply; that's because I feel like I have more control over how much product is on the brush. Smile
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:24 am      Reply with quote
tam wrote:
I've used both and I think that cake liner easier to apply; that's because I feel like I have more control over how much product is on the brush. Smile

Thanks! I've used the gel, but never the cake. I'm going to give them a try.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:49 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
No I don't think cake liner is the same as eyeshadow, but I guess we'd need to compare ingredients. I always found it had a much denser texture. But then again, some shadows you can use wet or dry, so that would probably make them a cake liner...or eyeshadow.

I think I just confused myself Embarassed

Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |