Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is that perfect product really out there?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
derbycity
5% products discount

Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
Dear Friends at EDS,
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel as I do? I think it is great to read all this information about so many, many products, but I cannot say I have used any miracle worker products. I cannot fathom the thought of the money I have spent over the last 25 plus years.
I have large pores on my face, especially around my nose,and age spots on my hands and arms.....nothing, but nothing has worked for me. I am sorry to be a downer about all the products, but this is the way I feel tonight. And girls, my paycheck does not allow me to spend a hundred dollars on a product that might, or might not work. Thanks for letting me vent...maybe it is the rainy days we have been having in Kentucky..
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
derbycity wrote:
Dear Friends at EDS,
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel as I do? I think it is great to read all this information about so many, many products, but I cannot say I have used any miracle worker products. I cannot fathom the thought of the money I have spent over the last 25 plus years.
I have large pores on my face, especially around my nose,and age spots on my hands and arms.....nothing, but nothing has worked for me. I am sorry to be a downer about all the products, but this is the way I feel tonight. And girls, my paycheck does not allow me to spend a hundred dollars on a product that might, or might not work. Thanks for letting me vent...maybe it is the rainy days we have been having in Kentucky..

Hi derbycity,

Did you mean this message to go as a new post instead of a reply? I am not sure I understand how it fits in this thread, but I am sure I understand how you feel!!

Most of us here have wasted a lot of cash over the years on stuff that did nothing (I have another thread here adding up just two years worth and it was like $500-odd). I have a few bits of advice (for what they are worth): dont follow the pack - if there is one thing everyone has learned here it is what works for one may not work for another, wherever possible get a sample of something to try first (you may not find out how effective long-term something is from a small sample, but you will get a general idea of how it feels, smeels, and first-up effectiveness), take advertising and marketing spiel with a grain of salt (I trust the opinions of women here more than glossy adverts and magazine raves).

Finally, I think that there are some things we can just never completely correct - the pores on my face have greatly improved since I started taking better care of my skin a few years back, but they are still visible/large. The "sun spot" on my face is finally faded to virtually nothing - but only after a year of Vit.C - my hands are another story (I cannot afford to vit. c them every day Laughing ) If you are working on a budget then why don't you visit our DIY thread - there are some very good recipes in there for making your own skincare at home and many are very effective!!

Hope this bit of advice helps and makes you feel a little better! (I am not sure how many comments you will get in this thread as not many would read through this full thread, but if you want extra advice you would be better having your post moved to its own thread - just go to the "report" button on your post and tell the mods you want to split your post and the replies into their own thread)

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
Just sent the email, hope i get one.

DerbyCity........

I understand your post above, but i think if you keep reading you can find some good info on DIY vit C serum, copper Peptides, and peels etc.

Myself, I so far get the most Bang for my buck doing at home peels on my hands and arms, maybe spent $20 or less on the glycolic acid. So keep reading and be patient, it can take a year to see some results and don't give up. I had given up almost after paying for expensive micro/ peels each month, but am learning so much here.
derbycity
5% products discount

Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="lorimcp"]Just sent the email, hope i get one.

DerbyCity........

I understand your post above, but i think if you keep reading you can find some good info on DIY vit C serum, copper Peptides, and peels etc.

Myself, I so far get the most Bang for my buck doing at home peels on my hands and arms, maybe spent $20 or less on the glycolic acid. So keep reading and be patient, it can take a year to see some results and don't give up. I had given up almost after paying for expensive micro/ peels each month, but am learning so much here.

Thank you lorimcp!
I appreciate your post. I will take your advice on...keep reading, and be patient...I have a hard time with the patience thing! Smile
$20 does not scare me, but some of these $100 products do...Again, thank you so much!![/b]
I may have replied incorrectly..I am too new at this to know what I am doing..
Mabsy

Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
<<this thread was split from the "LIMITED OFFER: EpidermxII & Chrysalyx trial sizes" thread>>
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Derbycity,
I don't think you'll find one miracle product to fix every problem, but this forum will help you find affordable products to address all of your concerns. Beta hydroxy acid can help cut the oil on your nose down, making your pores less noticable. You can try a series of lactic acid peels on your age spots and once you stop showing response to them, you may want to try a TCA peel. (All of those things can by found at makeupartistschoice.com). Those are just a few suggestions, there are plenty of other routes you can go, just use the search button at the right hand corner of the screen to find more answers. Good luck!
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
I have heard some good things about mandelic acid and Dr H's CC cream. Have a search of the forum and read the reviews Very Happy. Hopefully you can get some samples too. Skincare is so very expensive.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
I think Vitamin C is the perfect product. I would say an upgrade would be the Copper Peptide.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Derby City!! I don't have any words of wisdom to offer, but I just wanted to say welcome and that I was born in the Derby City, yay!!^-^

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:02 am      Reply with quote
derbycity, most of us know how you feel. We have all been there. I think we have all wasted money hoping this would be the product that worked, but unfortunately, alot of them didn't, so you keep up the search until you find something that works for you, and that could take awhile, or maybe it won't. Tiger_tim has good advice to not follow the pack. If you do that you will go broke, trust me. It is so hard not to buy something that someone has just given a great big reveiw on, and I used to feel I had to have it right then, and it didn't always work for me as good as it did for them. And thats how it is for alot of product, like tiger-tim said, what works for one may not work for another.
Anyway, try not to let it get you down. I bet alot of us have days like you were having.
By the way, if you are having problems with you pores, like me, maybe a sample of mandelic acid. It tightens them babies right up. You can do a search on it if you want.
Good luck and keep your chin up.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi DerbyCity,

I can empathize but I definitely think there are products that work. The problem is your-mileage-may-vary so you do need to test or really define your needs. For example, I'm always lured by the reviews but many times I don't have the same issues as others (44, t-zone but getting better with Ystheal, sun damage, no wrinkles).

Have you tried any of the DIY recipes? That's a great and inexpensive way to try products - or purchase from CareKate.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
The products that work:

The first line of attack!....

Retin-A (or any of the class of retinoids)
Vitamin C serum (stable, ie., no water in it and L-ascorbic acid - not a C ester,etc.)

Stable sunscreen (Like LaRochePosay or anything else that has Mexoryl or Tinosorb in it to handle UVA rays)

The second line of attack - Smile

AHA (alpha hydroxy acid leave on lotions, serums, gels, creams ,etc. At least 10% concentration.)

BHA (beta hydroxy acid, ie., salicylic acid, leave on-lotion/mask/cleanser)

Enzyme Cleanser/Peels

3rd - last but not least - protection in the form of sunscreen, moisturizers (no harsh cleansers/toners that strip away your skin's natural acid mantle), hats, sunglasses, gloves, sunshades, umbrellas.

4th - if the above isn't cutting it - Botox, Restylane injections, laser/light treatments, TCA deep tissue peels and then the biggest, baddest of them all - plastic surgery. (Or just give up and age "gracefully".)

Then eat well, drink water, be happy. This, my dear, will have you looking your best! Smile
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Derbycity

I know what you mean. I went through a whole heap of things in my late thirties, especially things from the shops with the latest this or that and none of it really worked.

EDS sometimes looks like we're using all kinds of expensive items, but if you read between the lines you'll see a lot of us get our improvements with basic, but well researched actives. Some users have more cash and they can play with the latest actives but it's really not essential.

You can see what I use in my footer and it's pretty much the same as Betterat40 just different products: A retinoid, an acid, anti-oxidants, SS - altogether they'll give you visible results, though maybe not perfection which is why we're all still here Laughing

Look for the actives and then find a product/brand which has it - not the other way round.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:33 am      Reply with quote
I totally agree with you, Molly. Some people do have a lot of money to play with and they don't know when to stop or they spend more then they have without ever realizing it.

Long time ago, I started a thread on what is your basic skincare. Someone else started "what you can't live without". Just remember what works for you right now. I am very lucky that my skin is in good condition. I have to admit in the past, even the basics were not helping me. I basically just had it and went to see a doctor about it. I altered my diet by eating more fish, less salt. The basic skincare that I was using was really good but it was not strong enouph. I got prescription and it really helped.
Some of my basics is very expensive, for example, my Vitamin C. As much as I want cheap CSRx Vit. C serum to work for me, I prefer not to use it because I find Vivier strength is stronger and it is still a reasonable price (but not in the area I live, cheaper on EDS).
I think the only thing I will ever spend a lot of money on is eye creams because my eyes are sensitive, they get puffy and the skin can take it's toll. A luxury item to have for me is a moisterizer. There is nothing like using a nice feeling moisterizer and just the fact that you put very little on because of it's concentration, it just last and last and you do get your money worth.

I think it is a waste to spend a lot of money on a cleanser but most cheap cleansers are harsh with detergent. I also think it is a waste of money to buy a toner....the way I see it - why do you have to use a toner to remove any residue from your cleanser or to prepare for the next product or to calm your skin? That means that your cleanser is not doing it's job. I always look for a cleanser that is safe and does not irritate your eye when applied in that area. Also, non drying.

Currently, I am looking into firming moisterizers. I am also trying to understand copper peptite and why almost every skincare professional suggest that it is used for firming your skin. I can't help but wonder it I can start using it now instead in my 50's. Would it prevent sagging? Would it help prevent any damage on my skin from pillow markings on my face? I try hard to sleep on my back but we all can't help it when we end up moving around in our sleep.

As for removing, delaying and preventing wrinkles, I have read a lot of medical reports and the only messege I found was that Botox is the only answer. No cream can also give you a face lift according to New Beauty magazine. But they do list a few creams that should be used and is safe after you had facial surgery. They are:
Repachage Vita Cura Triple Firming Cream-has seaweed and pentapeptides
Amore Pacific Time Response Skin Renewal Cream-has the purest and strongest strenght of green tea
Kerstin Florian Caviar Age-Defense Cream-has sea caviar and atioxidants
Kanebo Lifting Cream-has natural yeast extracts
T. Leclerc Extremem Protection-it fortify cell structure with non-oily cream
...they are all expensive. The key is to keep your skin calm, not swollen or puffy. As for the peptite, as far as I can find in my research, it has not been fully medically proven that it can prevent sagging. But most of us will toss our pennies in hopes that it will help prevent or slow down the process of aging. Just make sure those ingredients are listed on top of the list, otherwise you are wasting your money.

Oh boy! I can't believe I typed so much Exclamation

I hope I made sense though! Smile
loveskincare
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:30 am      Reply with quote
hi betterat40,

which enzyme cleansers/peels do you use? Thanks.
derbycity
5% products discount

Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you!! You all are great! You all made me feel much better, because I was beginning to think I was the only one on the forum that could not afford the $$$ products. It is true that I was not reading between the lines. Every time I would read a possitive feedback on a product I would think I just had to have it, but that is not true.
I really have been hanging in there with this 50 aging thing, but I am going to continue to fight for every compliment I receive! Smile
Again, thank you all so much for all the kind words and helpful information. Smile
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Derbycity, hi.

I'm 47. And whooosh! suddenly my neck looks different!A little lLined, and not taut.
I took it's smoothness for granted before.
And suddenly my hands are dryer, they dont always look smooth and pretty.I took them for granted before.
My decolletage got sun damage and started to look sometimes 'creased' Rolling Eyes - before it was smooth and clear and I took it for granted.

I look in the mirror and NOTHING I CAN DO will make me look youthful. It's gone. Sometimes I have a hard time taking it in that it's still 'me'.

I have to settle for looking "good for my age"... Bad Grin

But I know for Sure, I'd look a whole lot older if I didnt apply all my potions and use all my gizmos!

I sympathise, I really do! Wink
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |