Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
i can't figure out my skin tone
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:34 am      Reply with quote
i was reading the Alima MMU rave thread and went to the Alima color guide and it seemed that according to them, i should be olive skinned. I can't tell though because i've never been able to tell what my skin tone is....i'm fair, but right now sitting beside a large window, natural light, overcast, no shadows, i'm looking at my inside forearm(i'm wearing MMU on my face) i still can't tell what undertone i have. My skin is pale, but also a bit warm looking and some veins look green and some look blue, i'm not color blind but i honestly can't tell what my tone is...i'm so frustrated. Confused Confused I look garish and stark pale white in really cool colours but i also look terribly sallow in yellows. I wear mostly black, chocolate brown, cool orange, turquoise, periwinkle blue,steel blue, cherry reds, white, navy, sage greens and lime green and my makeup i get compliments on is any shade of bronze eyeshadow, or coppery/gold shades. I wear a Neutral/yellowish MMU which warms me up a touch because my skin doesn't match anything...can someone please help me?

When i wear the blues and turquoise colours, i always look really tanned even when i havn't been tanned. When i wear the other colors, i don't notice a color change except i tend to look pale. What does it all mean? I'm very unhappy at the moment because everyone else seems very definite about what looks good on them and they seems to know the basics of their own skin. I can't even do that and it's making me really mad Mad

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:10 am      Reply with quote
I tried for a long time, too, to figure out my skintone. I kept ordering samples of cools and even warms. Finally figured out I'm neutral. Which means I can wear most colors. And my foundations usually have the word "beige" in them. My eyes are medium blue, and their color determines which shadow and liner colors I wear. I hope this helps.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:13 am      Reply with quote
Hiya, Rosy

I really thought I had a handle on your skin tone 'til you mentioned "cool orange". Not sure what that is, maybe peach? All the other color effects on your skin match mine to a "T".

Even though the vein "colors" are a major clue, the bronze and coppery eyeshadow are the real clues. Sounds like your skin tone is warm and what Prescriptives would call a "yellow-orange" or a "red-orange". My bet is "red-orange".

For the MMU, you may have to mix light or fair with a warm medium beige.

Just a thought.

Ari
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:21 am      Reply with quote
maybe i should have said a 'red-orange' instead of a 'yellow orange'....

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
I would suggest a neutral or a warm from Alima. My veins are green and blue too and I can never tell and both neutral and warm works for me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:48 am      Reply with quote
I read about this trick once-- maybe it's a load of rubbish but it's worth trying! You squeeze the skin on your elbow between your fingers and if the skin between your fingers turns pink, you're more suited to cool colors. If it turns yellow, you're more suited to warm colors.

I've also read, however, that the whole 'warm,' 'cool' thing in itself is a load of rubbish and you should just find what colors work best for you. I've always thought myself a neutral, and the only thing I can't get away with is purple shades on my lips. Makes me look cadaverish. But I can wear purples and blues on my lids.
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:04 am      Reply with quote
thanks everybody for responding. I'm leaning toward the olive/neutral side....I stay away from certain colours in both palettes because they look awful on me but i also use other colours in the same palettes because they do look good....i guess if i have a general direction to go regarding MMU, i'll get a bunch of samples and see what works. As suggested, i may have to mix shades....i am just being a baby because i would love to have this be almost effortless....just pick one and go , you know? Smile Oh well....(shrug)

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:01 am      Reply with quote
yeh I agree with violetanne. It's about what works for you. There are so many makeup and skincare rules out there, sometimes you gotta ignore that if something is great for you personally.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:09 am      Reply with quote
I can't figure out my skin tone either. I have a hard time finding something that match and my oily skin just makes it harder. Most makeup would change color on me and they're either too pink or too yellow/orange. I ordered Alima samples but none of them matched. I would have to order more samples and try mixing them.
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:14 am      Reply with quote
[/quote]Most makeup would change color on me and they're either too pink or too yellow/orange.[quote]

this happens to me too! I use one that looks ok in the morning but by the time i get home from work, it seems to have really darkened and become more yellow... if i use a lighter MMU, i look like a corpse most of the day, but when i get home, the colour doesn't look too bad....i think i'm going to check out BareFaced Minerals and see what they can do for me....they seem to have extensive colour range

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:19 am      Reply with quote
rosyface wrote:

this happens to me too! I use one that looks ok in the morning but by the time i get home from work, it seems to have really darkened and become more yellow... if i use a lighter MMU, i look like a corpse most of the day, but when i get home, the colour doesn't look too bad....

Exactly the same for me. Crying or Very sad
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:52 am      Reply with quote
rosyface wrote:

I use one that looks ok in the morning but by the time i get home from work, it seems to have really darkened and become more yellow... if i use a lighter MMU, i look like a corpse most of the day, but when i get home, the colour doesn't look too bad.

Same here, it so frustrating! If I go neutral I look like Im on the way to my own funeral. Rolling Eyes If I go yellow...I look...well, yellow. Sheesh! I just ordered some samples from Alima, if those dont work I guess I have to go back to liquid MU. Confused
3wniX

Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
actually the quickest way to find your tone is to go to a clothes store and grab a pure white top and a cream top. hold it against yourself and see which one you 'glow' more in.
if its:
white = cool
cream = warm

i guarantee it Smile....i hope
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:01 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |