Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hair help needed-John Masters line
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:51 am      Reply with quote
I really need help choosing good hair care products that will help me keep the hair I have left on my head (I've thinned out since my 20's-I used to have a horse's mane-that's another story). I'm starting to think perhaps it's my scalp which sometimes pricks & itches-eveything else has been ruled out. It's not that I'm really thin-from far away I look like I have typical mediterranean dark,wavy/curly hair; it's mainly on the crown. I guess the texture-fine-normal-wavy camouflages it. What I wouldn't give to have my lush hair back!

My hair is dry (colored) and can't take very heavy products-it needs moisture but anything too heavy will make it gummy & had to work with. I need products that will help my hair feel strong not too soft or else flat, do nothing hair develops. Shine is needed to. O.K. O.K. I may be asking for too much here Embarassed

Here's a list I've compiled from Saffron Rouge (free shipping for over $100 sure helps). Please let me know if you've tried any of these products or have any advice.

Evening primrose shampoo
Honey & Hibiscus Hair conditionner
Honey et al Shampoo-this may be too rich
Orange citrus & neroli detangler
Hair pomade (styling)
Lavender & Rosemary-this was recommended for fine hair but I'm afraid it may be too drying.
Deep follicle treatment & volumizer

I've asked for help on her site but mainly get directed to the website product descriptions. Rolling Eyes

While we're on the subject, has anyone tried tried Osmotics FNS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated Wink
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Marina -

I've never used the John Masters line, so I'll leave the comments on that to someone else. A close friend of mine had a real problem with hair loss recently. In her case, I think it was due to a combination of early menopause and a crash diet.

She started out using the Osmotics FNS stuff and it definitely produced results, but she wasn't thrilled about its effect on her hair. She switched to Phyto Phytocyane Revitalizing Shampoo and also their Phytocyane Revitalizing Lotion ampoules. I have to say, her hair NEVER so looked good! It dealt with the hair loss issue and also made her hair thicker and more lush than it was before. The stuff smells pretty good too.

HTH
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Katee, at least the phyto is easily obtainable for me from Sephora. I've been eyeing that one too.

Re FNS: Do you mean the shampoo was drying out her hair-I know that's what happened when I tried Nioxin-my hair was like straw.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
As I recall, her major complaint about the Osmotics FNS was the way it felt on her hair. Aside from that, it was definitely effective though...
elizasue
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi marina - don't know anything about John Masters, but if you have curly hair, have you tried Ouidad? I have really thick curly unruly hair, and I live in a humid climate, and this stuff is wonderful. Not sure what it will do for thinning hair, but they say that it is supposed to control without weighing down. I definitely think my hair is healthier since using it. You have to order online - I'm not sure of the web address but if you type in ouidad in the search engine it will come up. They have a whole questionaire to help you decide what to order. The one thing I would absolutely recommend is the deep treatment, no matter what your hair is like. I thought this was just a way to get you to try another product, but it really really works, and I notice a huge difference in the health of my hair as well as the frizz factor when I don't use it.
HTH
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Marina,
Yes, I use the John Masters line of hair care products. From the list you have compiled I have used the following:

Evening Primrose Shampoo - very nice shampoo which does not overly moisturize the hair. It gives the hair wonderful body and shine.

Honey & Hibiscus Shampoo & Conditioner - these two products are fantastic and not at all too rich. They leave your hair as soft as a baby's. I have repurchased both of these products.

Orange Citrus & Neroli Detangler - again another fantastic product. Does not leave the hair weighed down and greasy. Plus it gives a beautiful shine to the hair. I have repurchased this product as well.

Lavender & Rosemary - Yes, this may be a bit too drying. I found it so for my hair.

I hope this helps you. Saffron Rouge used to have samples of John Masters hair products but unfortunately I don't think they carry them anymore.

I think John Masters is the best hair care products I have ever used and I hope you are satisfied with the products you purchase.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
Hi Marina,
Yes, I use the John Masters line of hair care products. From the list you have compiled I have used the following:

Evening Primrose Shampoo - very nice shampoo which does not overly moisturize the hair. It gives the hair wonderful body and shine.

Honey & Hibiscus Shampoo & Conditioner - these two products are fantastic and not at all too rich. They leave your hair as soft as a baby's. I have repurchased both of these products.

Orange Citrus & Neroli Detangler - again another fantastic product. Does not leave the hair weighed down and greasy. Plus it gives a beautiful shine to the hair. I have repurchased this product as well.

Lavender & Rosemary - Yes, this may be a bit too drying. I found it so for my hair.

I hope this helps you. Saffron Rouge used to have samples of John Masters hair products but unfortunately I don't think they carry them anymore.

I think John Masters is the best hair care products I have ever used and I hope you are satisfied with the products you purchase.

Thanks very much..I'm glad there was a user out there. You've confirmed my feeling that the Lavender would be too drying although Saffron Rouge indicated that it is suitable for fine hair...but...not all fine hair is alike. Wink The honey & hibiscus have great ingredients.
stellamaris
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
If you are interested in a total system, I love my Louise Marie Longhairs. I have the best hair I have ever had after 3 months of LML. It is a big commitment (you convert to all LML products and learn all new techniques), it is not for everybody. If you are interested and have questions you can call her shop and make an appointment to talk to her on the phone, she sends out very generous samples as well.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
I have fine hair that's dry and colour treated like yours. This is what I found out works for me:

John Masters Evening Primrose Shampoo - this is great, won't weigh hair down. My only gripe is I don't feel my hair is 100% clean after even if I know it is. Also my bf doesn't like the smell, I definitely don't mind it, it doesn't linger in your hair. Definitely good for dry hair types because it won't dry your hair out.

Herbal Cider Rinse- this is a must! Or you can buy regular ACV. Earth to Body makes a similar one for cheaper but ACV rinse is a MUST for your type of hair. I add it to my JM Shampoo and I feel my hair very clean afterwards. It doesn't dry my hair out (I always condition after anyways). Basically you can use it alone, add it to your shampoo OR conditioner, it's very versatile. It helps prevent colour fading and will help with your itchy scalp. More DIY hair remedies can be found on the DIY thread and I think they would work wonders mixing with the already all natural JM stuff.

Citrus and Neroli Detangler - One of my favs - I mainly use it as a leave-in and gives me a good amount of moisture and definitely DOES NOT weigh hair down. This is basically HG for me as I'm very lazy with waiting minutes for conditioner to soak in and then rinsing it off. This leave in smells wonderful as well.

Hibiscus Reconstructor- Another one of my favs, it's expensive though. I use it as a weekly treatment and I use the Detangler for everyday. This smells SOOOO good and leaves my hair so soft. And you know it's your hair that's soft because it has no cones. The texture isn't very thick either, it's light and rinses out easily w/o weighing hair down.

Hair Pomade - I'm not used to using a product like this. I think I'm using it correctly but I find it a bit difficult to work through my hair. I love the smell and it's worth getting imo since you can use it as a cuticle/hand salve anyways and it smells SOOOO good you wanna eat it. But I find just plain Avocado Oil works better as an after wash treatment or leave in. Unless I have short hair or if I'm working with my bangs I'm not sure how I can style my hair with this product. I also have trouble getting out enough to work through my long hair (which isn't THAT long atm).

When I perm my hair in the next month I'll also be getting the Vanilla Texturizer as a styling product and give that a try. I love JM, but I think the products that are worthy of repurchase (for the price) are the Detangler and Reconstructor. I'm undecided about the Pomade, I don't reach for it that much but I feel good that I have it Rolling Eyes Right now I bought Primavera Avocado Oil and I've been using it on towel-dried damp hair everyday. I find it's very effective in calming my frizzies and dry-ends and it doesn't weigh my hair down at all. The good thing about using all natural oils like this is afterwards the oil gets soaked into your hand which moisturizes them as well - I HATE how most store-bought styling products dry out my hands and nails with all the chemicals.

HTH
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you! I don't think I'll have any trouble at all hitting the free shipping mark at Saffron Rouge. I'll try the products and let you know what I think.

I have almost as many hair care products as skin care. Embarassed It would be great to finally find something that works-my hair has a personality all its own.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:16 am      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
Hi Marina,
Honey & Hibiscus Shampoo & Conditioner - these two products are fantastic and not at all too rich. They leave your hair as soft as a baby's.

Seconding leeleedee's comments on these 2 products. I also think they have probably the nicest fragrance of any hair products I have used. The shampoo is not too heavy/rich at all - it's a clear formulation, not a cream, if that's the right term?

Some years back I tried the Osmotics FNS serum (not the shampoo), bought the multiple pack, and used it every day diligently. Honestly didn't notice any result at all, even though I finished all four bottles, except maybe 1/4 of the last one which I recently found hiding at the back of the fridge and tossed. Maybe it works for some, but not me - mind you, my hair is quite a challenge.

I've tried so many things for my hair over the years, and the only thing that I *think* might be helping is what I'm doing now - applying emu oil to the scalp (and hair) overnight. If you apply carefully to the scalp only, avoiding the hair, you can leave this in during the day as well. Also, the last 4 months(?) or so have been using shampoos/cons without SLS, which seems to be helping as well. My hair is still crap but I *think* it's a little better. My hairdresser says it's improved but he only sees it every 6 weeks or so.

I also like the Philip B Rejuvenating Oil, but at US30 for a 2 oz bottle you can probably make your own version of this much cheaper. Also, they seem to have reformulated this, as my (1 year old) bottle definitely does not list some ingredients listed currently on the website - inc. preservatives like propylparaben. If anyone is interested I can post the old ingredients.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:46 am      Reply with quote
You're right about the PhilipB. I tried years ago and really liked it but it is very expensive and it didn't wash out well. I may try the avocado oil from Saffron Rouge (cheaper and she raves about it), although I don't think it's an oil you can apply on your scalp. There is a thread (I think Carrie) about oils that help hair. I'm going to try to find it & post it here. Thanks for your help.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |