Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

what the difference between raw honey and regular honey?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
I went to buy some more honey the other day to use in my DIY recipes and noticed that one bottle read "raw honey". Would this be better to use because it might contain more beneficial ingredients that might be diminished in processing "regular" honey? Or if it's not processed (is honey pasteurized?), would it "go bad" sooner? What's the difference overall (for use for skin and hair care as well as eating it)?

TIA Wink

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
I think that the bacteria in raw honey is beneficial to the skin, especially acne prone skin. My raw honey's label says that it also has more minerals and antioxidants than other honey. Not sure if the last part is true though Wink
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Honey won't go bad and if you can get it raw/unpasteurized that's the best, as it's still viable and not had the beneficial bits destroyed in that case.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
It is true that raw honey has more minerals and other good stuff. raw honey is filtered though it is never heated to preserve its natural goodness. I use raw honey on my face as a mask once in a while and find that it has small particles in it which help exfoliate. it is a really nice exfoliating mask. i am not sure what other benefits raw honey has on skin over processed honey.

more info here:
http://www.ebeehoney.com/raw-honey.html

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, information that I know A LOT about!

Raw honey is never heated and therefore has retained all of it's beneficial enzymes, etc. Enzymes are there to help your digestion in breaking down foods, like carbohydrates. This is why putting raw honey on bread will help break down and help digest the bread.

"Regular" or non raw honey has been heated in the extraction. Therefore, it's benefits have not been retained and is essentially just sugar.

Either product will last. It's just that raw honey is better for you.
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
RAW ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is far better for you!! Anything that can't be eaten raw, should not be eaten very often, if at all!

Smile
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
Does the benefits of raw honey apply to using it as a hair conditioner? It is just so much easier to buy the normal honey than raw honey.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for all the info! Smile

I wish I could apply it onto my healing breakouts at night but it would be wayyyyy too sticky and get all over my bedding Rolling Eyes.

Btw, do any of you know why it says on bottles/jars of honey not to feed it to children under 3 (or is it 2)?

(I just realized my thread title's typo- I meant to write "What's the difference between....") Embarassed

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
Amnis, you might want to look into the acne serum they sell at bestbathstore.com. It contains manuka honey which is supposedly the most healing of the different types of honey. You can get a sample for free if you just pay for shipping--- I did and I'm enjoying it--- I'm considering buying a full-sized bottle.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
... Btw, do any of you know why it says on bottles/jars of honey not to feed it to children under 3 (or is it 2)?

They can die from it (and some have) because it might contain bacterial spores that their young systems cannot deal with.

- DO NOT add honey to your baby's food, water or formula.
- DO NOT dip your baby's pacifier in honey.
- DO NOT give your baby honey as medicine

Honey can contain bacterial spores that cause Infant Botulism - a rare but very serious disease affecting the nervous system that only young babies can get. Scientists don't know why, but this disease has never been reported in a baby older than 11 months of age. More than 1000 cases have been reported since it was recognized in 1976. Over 20% of the babies who developed the disease had been fed honey.

A baby thought to have Infant Botulism will have to be hospitalized; but with proper treatment chances are good that he or she will recover.

Source: http://home.earthlink.net/~drbobshields/Honey.F.html
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Amnis, you might want to look into the acne serum they sell at bestbathstore.com. It contains manuka honey which is supposedly the most healing of the different types of honey. You can get a sample for free if you just pay for shipping--- I did and I'm enjoying it--- I'm considering buying a full-sized bottle.

Thanks for the link, Liz. Smile I don't think I have ever been to this website before. The acne treatment gel is very intiguing! I noticed that it also cantains helichrysum which is supposed to be excellent for healing and scars. It (the helichrysum EO) has been on my list for my next EO order. I also am interested in the shampoo from bestbathstore.com... looks very gentle... something else I am searching for.

manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
Amnis, I just got some discount codes for BBS, valid til Dec 18 if you're interested:
10% off any order: 0610
20% off a $50 order: 0620
30% off a $100 order: 0630

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
thanks again, Liz- I appreciate it Smile

I emailed BBS and asked them if they use active manuka honey (i.e., one that has an UMF (Unique Manuka Factor) rating). (Better quality manuka honey that is active has the best anti-bacterial activity). It's explained here http://www.manukahoney.co.uk/ and http://www.manukahoney.co.uk/therapeuticuses.html. Interestingly, I still have not received a response after almost a week....I wonder if its because they do not want to admit that they do not use an active manuka honey? Otherwise, why wouldn't they respond? Do you think it's imperative to use an active manuka honey? I would think that it would be.... Confused

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |